MMO Starter Kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arixsus View Post
    I would highly advise against Godaddy for anything. I've had nothing but problems and their tools are old. I moved over to google cloud hosting like a year or two ago and haven't looked back since. Their domain tools are straight forward and easy. As for the cloud servers, you can use a pre-configured stack like LAMP, or do a stripped Ubuntu build, and have it only cost you around $4/month at min with FULL Control.
    Or dump a ton of money into hosting your own *shrugs* I went that route myself, I've had a "game" server for like 3 years now, finally putting it to good use lol

Comment

Originally posted by Darkkitten View Post
      Or dump a ton of money into hosting your own *shrugs* I went that route myself, I've had a "game" server for like 3 years now, finally putting it to good use lol
      Same, I already use my own hardware for my website, why not host my game on it too? (colocated in a datacenter, not at home)

Comment

Originally posted by Zydronium View Post
        Same, I already use my own hardware for my website, why not host my game on it too? (colocated in a datacenter, not at home)
        Exactly, but I do understand, that it's not feasible for everyone. I might be getting some discount codes from the place that hosts mine for Vhosts, if I do, I'll share it here for you guys

Now I wish I had more money though, soo many sweet goodies on the Marketplace..
        Last edited by Darkkitten; 04-23-2016, 07:13 PM.

Comment

I would highly advise against Godaddy for anything. I've had nothing but problems and their tools are old. I moved over to google cloud hosting like a year or two ago and haven't looked back since. Their domain tools are straight forward and easy. As for the cloud servers, you can use a pre-configured stack like LAMP, or do a stripped Ubuntu build, and have it only cost you around $4/month at min with FULL Control.
          That might work for you. But, I have no server exp.. or Linux. I can call GoDaddy at any time, 24/7 365 and they help me with Anything that I have concerns about. At no extra charge. I would love to run a 4 dollar a month build, but, my 6.95 a month server fits my needs. and give me peace of mind that I have that support 24/7 365.

I am not saying doing something different from what I am doing is wrong. Nor am I saying there are not other ways to do things. I am just saying, for my skill set. I am very comfortable with what I am doing.

I'd love to have my web server and game server here at the house. Dynamic IP gave me a TON of troubles though...So, now I just run the game server here at the house and GODaddy's hosts my web site and runs my PHP...
          Last edited by Tarly; 04-23-2016, 07:42 PM. Reason: added another thought
          Clifford Brock

Gamer / Tinkers with MMO Kit
          Game: Claws&Paws

Comment

Originally posted by Darkkitten View Post
            I have a couple of well suited desktop/server machines that I could use if that were the case, but I'd rather have failover just in case.
            Current Project - *shush shush* Ehh.. When its ready?

Comment

I wanted to share a hosting provider which I found and has been working out for me so far for testing envrionment.
              http://www.cheapwindowsvps.com/

They have windows plans starting at $10 a month and for a testing environment I couldn't ask for more. I've only been using them for a short period but so far they seem pretty solid. Again, I'm only using this for testing a hobby game so please take this recommendation as such and use your own judgement as to suitability for your testing.
              Last edited by Heirik; 04-25-2016, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Update on Advanced Social System:

I began running into more problems then I was expecting with getting it to work entirely. So I've scrapped it for now and I will build its functionality on top of Codespartans chat system, instead of trying to replace it. I figure this would be more time consuming but less of a headache overall. They are just too different in operation to get them to completely play nice.

Comment

Update on Advanced Social System:

I began running into more problems then I was expecting with getting it to work entirely. So I've scrapped it for now and I will build its functionality on top of Codespartans chat system, instead of trying to replace it. I figure this would be more time consuming but less of a headache overall. They are just too different in operation to get them to completely play nice.
                  Sad face, I was hoping it would merge together fairly easy, thanks for the heads up Arixsus. I am playing with terrain at the moment, which can be a pain also.

Nemo

Comment

Any chance a number of us would consider banning together, and as a group asking CS about the group donating the money for CS to buy the advanced Soc System. And asking him to intergrate it into a copy of the kit and document how he did it. For a fee of course.

Just an idea
                    Clifford Brock

Comment

Originally posted by Tarly View Post
                      Any chance a number of us would consider banning together, and as a group asking CS about the group donating the money for CS to buy the advanced Soc System. And asking him to intergrate it into a copy of the kit and document how he did it. For a fee of course.

Just an idea
                      I love the idea, I imagine CodeSpartan's time is pretty much none existing with Project Genom and all the work needed there, but if we could convince him I would be in, I do have someone right now looking at the kit for me to see if he can migrate them. If that is successful I will definitely let you guys with the kit know what to do. The database stuff is beyond my brains capacity to figure out on doing.

Nemo

Comment

Well.. let's see what your guy says first.. we know CS is hammered... Is that cool with you ?
                        Clifford Brock

Comment

Another one worth looking into getting working with the kit, and I plan on it since I own it, is Economy Suite.

Edit:
                          Once I get caught up and can get Advanced Social System, if you guys haven't gotten it, I can give it a crack.
                          Last edited by Darkkitten; 04-25-2016, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Economy Suite should be a lot easier to integrate, I think the hardest part of that will be moving the auction house to MySQL, but I haven't really looked at it much since I bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarly View Post
                              Well.. let's see what your guy says first.. we know CS is hammered... Is that cool with you ?
                              Oh yeah, it's cool with me, I am easy peasy. The guy looking at it for me will be awhile, he is tied up right now, so probably 2 weeks or so.

Comment

I think it's easier to build the systems from the Soc-system new with the infos from the kid, then to try to integrate it. You can compare how it's done in the Soc and then how similiar things work in the mmo-kit. I have come to the point where i think it's not possible to migrate it without so big changes that it doesn't be worth the time. Most of the funktions are not very complicated to build in the existing chat-system and the guild feature can be build in a few days. I have exams in the next future so i can't work that much i want on it at moment but after these i have a plan for that
                                Last edited by Gerrod; 04-25-2016, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X