No announcement yet.

MMO Starter Kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CodeSpartan you are my hero, this kit is great. Anyone considering the purchase just do it. it is worth it and your contribution will only help make it even better <3

Comment

Originally posted by RynoCoder33 View Post
      Hello, as I review this tool i'm excited with how much it offers. I have a few questions I was wondering you could answer.

What's the largest landscape size the MMO starter kit can support?
      Usually it's the number of concurrent NPCs/players on one server instance that's limiting, not the landscape size. From the tests, it looks like you could aim for 400-500 NPCs and 120-140 players before you would have to do further optimizations. You can have several such zones on one physical server.

Is the styling of the menus and inventory system customizable - Different colors, different sized buttons etc. ?
      Sure, UMG is used for the user interface and it's very easy to style.

Your MMO engine sounds really interesting, but I have a few questions for you before getting it.

Basically, my project is a MMO that needs to work in a persistent open world, with FPS shooting controls (non-targeted attacking), and map modification by players (placing/removing game elements on the ground. Maybe some voxels but not mandatory), with basic inventory and crafting.

I'm a developer so I don't mind modifying the C++. I'd just like to know if your engine would be a good fit for that sort of project.
      It depends on whether you could use help with registration/login, chat and other parts of your game or whether you prefer to code them yourself from scratch (to orient in the code better, for example).

Also, what is your server architecture? Is it scalable? Can I like, put it in the cloud or something?
      In the demo everyone connects to the same zone. Depending on your game, you could add a master server to dynamically launch instances when the load is too high or have a public server list with player limit and maybe allow players to host their own servers (like in 7 Days to Die).

Is this for free ?
      No, the kit is available for $95 at Sellfy.
      MMO Starter Kit
      Dialogue Plugin
      Voxel Plugin
      Character Customization: Female
      Character Custmization: Male

Comment

RynoCoder33, yes you can go totally FPS or Moba style. I added FinalCamera to MMOKit.
        It was a bit of a test of patience to merge MMOKit player controller with FinalCamera player controller but I got it working so i can toggle at run-time between zoomable FPS, 3P, topdown and also topdown scrolling margins (which is kinda like a Moba cam).
        Rene Czachs wrote the FinalCamera blueprint and it's way cheap. The only trouble integrating to MMokit, or any project I guess, is the merging part and making sure character/pawn references are all ok, but it just took some patience copying and re-linking variables.

Comment

Originally posted by majorcyto View Post
          Well, CodeSpartan uses skype and always answers my questions back asap, maybe a simple skype group would work since he seems to use that the most. Plus other kit owners can help each other as well?
          Skype is good, made in Estonia, where i live.
          But at work we use Slack after Skype was down far a day.
          We have integrated bugsnag to monitor exceptions and jenkins to monitor build status and we really like Slack.
          It's easy to create as many closed/open groups as you like.

Originally posted by CodeSpartan View Post
          I suppose you could rewrite the php scripts, but it'll take some time. Personally, if they were in a language I'm not familiar with (for me it's python), I'd still leave them as is and learn to read them. There's no complex stuff there. If you do choose to rewrite them, make sure you find a good alternative to php 5 password hashing in your language of choice.
          No problems with password hashing, i have lots of experience with auth and authorization.
          I'm worried about how much code i want to/must merge after each KIT update release.
          And do i need to update VaRest JsonBlueprints also or could i just same endpoints in Java as PHP?
          Last edited by asaarnak; 10-25-2015, 05:57 AM.

Comment

A drone pet I have added today to my mmokit project.

https://youtu.be/88RWofbgCx0
            http://tomofnz.wix.com/tomofnz#!process/cn6n

Comment

There are two additions i would like to add to this kit being the melee system and lobby system blueprints. New to UE4 but willing to put the time in to learn it for this! Still designing my characters though. I plan to make something high quality.

Comment

Has anyone figured out how to give each npc custom walk speeds?

Comment

Originally posted by Mozzy306 View Post
                  Has anyone figured out how to give each npc custom walk speeds?
                  You could go to "RoamBT" and change the StartWalking/StartRunning Tasks.
                  Instead of "CastToCharacter" you cast to the ChildNPC directly. If it fails you cast to another one.
                  This could look like this:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	blub.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1092100

This doesnt give each Npc custom walk speed. Just the class.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Minaosis; 10-28-2015, 08:51 AM.
                  My Playground - Destructible Building System - Procedural Mesh Landscape Editor - Procedural Animation - WIP (OpenSource)

Comment

Just wanted to let people know that this compiled perfectly for a Linux dedicated server following the normal cross compile instructions for Windows/Linux using 4.10 preview2.

One thing to be aware of is you need to permit port 80 http traffic or at least for me the server would crash with httpmanager errors on clients joining.
                    Last edited by Daniel Skipper Games; 10-30-2015, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Minaosis View Post
                      You could go to "RoamBT" and change the StartWalking/StartRunning Tasks.
                      Instead of "CastToCharacter" you cast to the ChildNPC directly. If it fails you cast to another one.
                      This could look like this:
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]63396[/ATTACH]

This doesnt give each Npc custom walk speed. Just the class.
                      Thanks alot, that is exactly what i was trying to do

Comment

I a very interested in using this project of yours and want to ask before buy can i use my own UMGS and add it to the game can i edit inventory can i add stuff like new animations can i work with BP only i am not expert on scripts and is there a way to edit our own pic and stuff in launcher ? And can i use Advanced Sessions Plugin with this kit ?
                        Last edited by demonith88; 10-30-2015, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Its worth every cent, everything is easy customization, UMGS, Animations i have been using it for a week i have no skills in coding just bps and i can see light at the end of the tunnel for my project. the way it is set up once you grasp the basic structure it makes so much sense. just dive in buy it.

Comment

hello. I have asked next question allready at Codespartan, but now i want users experiences about mmo starter kit. I am rookie for unreal and my group target is to make mmo game. We have already make 3 planets/terrain, 5 characters and 5 spaceships. Kit is very good basic i think, but is it easy and how easy to add my own terrain/planets and characters to mmo starter kit? and is there in documents advises about that? I need databases,servers,animations,controllers etc, but levels i allready have
                            and other important question is that i now a little about blueprint coding, but the database stuff is new for me. So if i buy this packet do i first need to get some database and webserver which include php 5.5 that i could modify my project and is there free webservers/databases? this is maybe the most hardest think to me. And other important thing i have visual studio 2015 and i have read somewhere that unreal doesn't support that version so have i to download visual studio 2013???
                            Last edited by tero83; 10-31-2015, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Well i buy it yesterday still i did not use it no time but today i will working around and see what is this kit all about ....
                              Edit: Did some one made character customize or something ?
                              Update: Wen i setup everything as it says in documentary when i hit Enter World it brings back to Mine Menu ?
                              1. NPC when die they not disappear and respawn ?
                              Last edited by demonith88; 10-31-2015, 08:47 AM.

Comment

i tried to purchase it today and pay with credit card but only tet which comes to screen was fatal failure. I have earlier bought stuff in unreal marketplace with no problems and i have enough money

Comment

Working...
                                X