MMO Starter Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lioki View Post
    I am thinking of getting this kit but I have a question I'd like to ask first. It might be something easy, but I am limited in my experience. How difficult would it be to create a character with a different combat system (attacks using mouse buttons, different damage system and animations), and "plug" it in to this kit? I read the online documentation and it explains how to modify the player character, I tried this in a test 3rd person starter project but the first thing it asked me to do was "Create a blueprint based on this" which is disabled and can't be used. In essence I have a character all setup and want to use it in this kit.
    Thanks in advance for any reply's.
    Hey

As someone who had nothing to do with coding or gamemaking 6 months before, I can tell you that its certainly possible
    BUT the way you wrote the marked part in the quote sounds to me that you dont really know what youre doing.
    If you have a character already setup by yourself you should be capable to implement it into the Kit.

You can customize everything. I just implemented Kubolds 1hSwordAnimset with 8 DirectionalAttacks steered by the mouseDirection.

Screen of my project
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot00002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	1091169

In my case it wasnt that hard i could reuse many parts of my singleplayer project.
    But you have to invest the time to look through the Kits Blueprints and try to understand them.

Comment

Hi I have some questions before purchasing.

I want to use the tool to make a coop action rpg similar to diablo or borderlands.

Could I replace the dedicated server with p2p and how easy would it be? Where would be the best place to store the mysql database if I choose to do this or would web hosting be the best?

I also presume I can change the gameplay into a shooter via my own blueprints?

Thanks

Comment

Could I replace the dedicated server with p2p and how easy would it be? Where would be the best place to store the mysql database if I choose to do this or would web hosting be the best?
        I don't have a lot of experience with p2p servers, I guess ideally you would want to use Steam matchmaking, but I'm not sure if you can test it while your game is not yet Greenlit. The mysql part would be the same as in the kit, as games like Diablo 3 store the characters on the server. Web hosting would work fine for the db.

I also presume I can change the gameplay into a shooter via my own blueprints?
        Yes, as long as you know how to make the gameplay that you want in a single player project, it shouldn't be hard to add it to the kit.

How difficult would it be to create a character with a different combat system (attacks using mouse buttons, different damage system and animations), and "plug" it in to this kit? I read the online documentation and it explains how to modify the player character, I tried this in a test 3rd person starter project but the first thing it asked me to do was "Create a blueprint based on this" which is disabled and can't be used. In essence I have a character all setup and want to use it in this kit.
        I have to agree with Minaosis, it looks like you need some more experience with UE4 before this project could be useful to you. Once you are confident that you can create the controls that you want in a clean project from scratch, then you could start looking into more complex stuff like networking (and that's where MMO Kit could be helpful). The user guide has a section called "Orienting in blueprints" that can help you find the existing controls and disable/remove them.
        MMO Starter Kit
        Dialogue Plugin
        Voxel Plugin
        Character Customization: Female
        Character Custmization: Male

Comment

Thanks for the reply. How easy would it be to implement the steamworks SDK into the blueprint particularly with regards to the networking e.g. the joining friends game and invite system used by steam?

Comment

Well, like I said before, I don't have experience with Steam p2p matchmaking (and not sure if you can use their matchmaking while not Greenlit). This is a MMO project, so the goal is for everyone to play on the same servers hosted by the developer.
            MMO Starter Kit
            Dialogue Plugin
            Voxel Plugin
            Character Customization: Female
            Character Custmization: Male

Comment

Hello, as I review this tool i'm excited with how much it offers. I have a few questions I was wondering you could answer.

What's the largest landscape size the MMO starter kit can support?

Is the styling of the menus and inventory system customizable - Different colors, different sized buttons etc. ?

Regards

Comment

Visual Studio 2013Click image for larger version

Name:	112.JPG
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	1091601Click image for larger version

Name:	111.JPG
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	1091602,点CleanThirdPerson,启动失败

Comment

[2015.10.21-12.15.22:640][ 0]Log file open, 10/21/15 20:15:22
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.22:640][ 0]LogInitisplay: Running engine for game: CleanThirdPerson
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.22:640][ 0]LogInitisplay: RandInit(-1263237749) SRandInit(-1263237748).
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.22:640][ 0]LogTaskGraph: Started task graph with 4 named threads and 7 total threads.
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.22:640][ 0]LogStats: Stats thread started at 0.107421
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.22:640][ 0]LogModuleManager:Warning: Found module file G:/虚幻4项目/MMOStarterKit-1.3/Plugins/VaRest/Binaries/Win64/UE4Editor-VaRestPlugin.dll (API version 0), but it was incompatible with the current engine API version (2672455). This is likely a stale module that must be recompiled.
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.22:640][ 0]LogInit:Warning: Incompatible or missing module: UE4Editor-CleanThirdPerson.dll
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.22:640][ 0]LogInit:Warning: Incompatible or missing module: UE4Editor-VaRestPlugin.dll
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.24:427][ 0]Running E:/Epic Games/4.9/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe CleanThirdPerson Development Win64 -project="G:/虚幻4项目/MMOStarterKit-1.3/CleanThirdPerson.uproject" -rocket -editorrecompile -progress -noubtmakefiles
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.28:998][ 0]@progress push 5%
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.29:736][ 0]@progress pop
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.34:114][ 0]Performing 19 actions (4 in parallel)
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.34:214][ 0]PCH.VaRestPluginPrivatePCH.h.cpp
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.34:214][ 0]PCH.CleanThirdPerson.h.cpp
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.34:214][ 0]G:\????4??Ŀ\MMOStarterKit-1.3\Plugins\VaRest\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\VaRestPlugin\PCH.VaRestPluginPrivatePCH.h.cpp(1) : fatal error C1083: ?޷???????ļ?: ??G:\虚幻4项目\MMOStarterKit-1.3\Plugins\VaRest\Source\VaRestPlugin\Private\VaRestPluginPrivatePCH.h??: No such file or directory
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.34:314][ 0]G:\????4??Ŀ\MMOStarterKit-1.3\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\CleanThirdPerson\PCH.CleanThirdPerson.h.cpp(1) : fatal error C1083: ?޷???????ļ?: ??G:\虚幻4项目\MMOStarterKit-1.3\Source\CleanThirdPerson\CleanThirdPerson.h??: No such file or directory
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.34:514][ 0]-------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.34:514][ 0]ERROR: UBT ERROR: Failed to produce item: G:\虚幻4项目\MMOStarterKit-1.3\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-CleanThirdPerson.dll
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.34:514][ 0]Total build time: 9.93 seconds
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.35:086][ 0]LogModuleManager:Warning: Found module file G:/虚幻4项目/MMOStarterKit-1.3/Plugins/VaRest/Binaries/Win64/UE4Editor-VaRestPlugin.dll (API version 0), but it was incompatible with the current engine API version (2672455). This is likely a stale module that must be recompiled.
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.35:086][ 0]LogInit:Warning: Still incompatible or missing module: UE4Editor-CleanThirdPerson.dll
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.35:086][ 0]LogInit:Warning: Still incompatible or missing module: UE4Editor-VaRestPlugin.dll
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.38:979][ 0]LogExit: Preparing to exit.
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.38:980][ 0]LogModuleManager: Shutting down and abandoning module DesktopPlatform (15)
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.38:981][ 0]LogModuleManager: Shutting down and abandoning module TextureCompressor (14)
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.38:981][ 0]LogModuleManager: Shutting down and abandoning module ShaderCore (13)
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.38:981][ 0]LogModuleManager: Shutting down and abandoning module Landscape (12)
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.38:981][ 0]LogModuleManager: Shutting down and abandoning module SlateRHIRenderer (11)
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.38:981][ 0]LogModuleManager: Shutting down and abandoning module OpenGLDrv (10)
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.38:981][ 0]LogModuleManager: Shutting down and abandoning module D3D11RHI (9)
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.38:981][ 0]LogModuleManager: Shutting down and abandoning module AnimGraphRuntime (8)
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.38:981][ 0]LogModuleManager: Shutting down and abandoning module Renderer (7)
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.38:981][ 0]LogModuleManager: Shutting down and abandoning module Engine (6)
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.38:981][ 0]LogModuleManager: Shutting down and abandoning module CoreUObject (5)
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.38:981][ 0]LogModuleManager: Shutting down and abandoning module NetworkFile (4)
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.38:981][ 0]LogModuleManager: Shutting down and abandoning module StreamingFile (3)
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.38:981][ 0]LogModuleManager: Shutting down and abandoning module SandboxFile (2)
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.38:982][ 0]LogModuleManager: Shutting down and abandoning module PakFile (1)
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.38:983][ 0]LogExit: Exiting.
                  [2015.10.21-12.15.38:987][ 0]Log file closed, 10/21/15 20:15:38

Comment

Hi,

Your MMO engine sounds really interesting, but I have a few questions for you before getting it.

Basically, my project is a MMO that needs to work in a persistent open world, with FPS shooting controls (non-targeted attacking), and map modification by players (placing/removing game elements on the ground. Maybe some voxels but not mandatory), with basic inventory and crafting.

I'm a developer so I don't mind modifying the C++. I'd just like to know if your engine would be a good fit for that sort of project.

Also, what is your server architecture? Is it scalable? Can I like, put it in the cloud or something?

Comment

Not as seasoned in Unreal as a few of the others on the forum so hopefully they'll let you know for sure about the terrain size. In my mind the only restrictions you would face would be the supported terrain dimensions of the engine. The kit holds many of the technical, networking and gameplay building blocks of popular mmo's but eveything is customisable so long as you're familiar with how the engine works.

For example, the customization of menus etc is done through the UMG UI Designer. So long as you have a basic understanding of how this system works within the engine, you can adapt your graphics to any styling you can think off. Here's the docs on the UI Designer. https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ide/index.html

Hope this helps in some part, I'll let the experts confirm that for you
                      Jungle Rock Pack - Available Now! - Unreal Marketplace
                      Wooden Floor Pack 4 - Available Now! - Unreal Marketplace
                      Medieval Fantasy Tavern Environment - Available Now! - Unreal Marketplace
                      Modern Table Pack - Available Now!

Comment

I was wondering if anyone had considered, or if there was already in place some sort of community somewhere (closed facebook group or the like) where we can share ideas/troubleshoot issues with the kit. I know for sure i'd love to see how others have utilized the kit and perhaps it might even allow us to work together to troubleshoot ideas and lighten the support load that Codespartan must face. The forum here is great but it's not very structed if more than one person are facing issues at once. Just an idea
                        Jungle Rock Pack - Available Now! - Unreal Marketplace
                        Wooden Floor Pack 4 - Available Now! - Unreal Marketplace
                        Medieval Fantasy Tavern Environment - Available Now! - Unreal Marketplace
                        Modern Table Pack - Available Now!

Comment

Originally posted by Zippyo3 View Post
                          I was wondering if anyone had considered, or if there was already in place some sort of community somewhere (closed facebook group or the like) where we can share ideas/troubleshoot issues with the kit. I know for sure i'd love to see how others have utilized the kit and perhaps it might even allow us to work together to troubleshoot ideas and lighten the support load that Codespartan must face. The forum here is great but it's not very structed if more than one person are facing issues at once. Just an idea
                          Thumbs up for that
                          Maybe a seperate Thread would be usefull, where everyone could share his solutions for certain problems.
                          I actually wanted to do something like that but thought it would be cheap cuz i didnt have much to show and my BPs are kinda sloppy ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Zippyo3 View Post
                            +1 for that !
                            I really like this idea

Comment

Well, CodeSpartan uses skype and always answers my questions back asap, maybe a simple skype group would work since he seems to use that the most. Plus other kit owners can help each other as well?

Comment

Is this for free ?

Comment

Working...
                                X