No announcement yet.

MMO Starter Kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah man, I'd love to have this. Any ETA on when we can expect this?
    I have to finish the documentation first. I will do the best I can to finish it this week. However, I also have a job so let's be patient guys.
    MMO Starter Kit
    Dialogue Plugin
    Voxel Plugin
    Character Customization: Female

Comment

Well is there anywhere we could pre-purchase / buy now and wait for the documentation? I always love to peak my head in and figure things out on my own before looking at documentation anyway (Helps in understanding / teaching myself things) - Just yeah, I'll *Try* and be patient Keep us updated!
      KITATUS
      "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

Hey Code Spartan - Thank you for the in-depth replies

I have a few more questions -

1. Is AI handled as a separate server or Process on the same server?
        2. You mentioned that the chat server is a separate from the main server. Are there any other elements of the server (AI for example) that are one other servers?
        3. Does the server run on Linux?
        4. Does this support other game genres? (FPS, Hack and Slash, etc.)

That said - Cannot wait to get my hands on this. Keep up the awesome work.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadClot View Post
          Hey Code Spartan - Thank you for the in-depth replies

I have a few more questions -

1. Is AI handled as a separate server or Process on the same server?
          Same server
          2. You mentioned that the chat server is a separate from the main server. Are there any other elements of the server (AI for example) that are one other servers?
          Only the chat currently if you mean in-game. Overall, player authorization/registration and character creation is done via php scripts on another server. The launcher also connects to it to download the info about the current version.

3. Does the server run on Linux?
          Windows Server, I want the kit to be available to people who have little or no Linux knowledge. And everybody knows how to work in Windows.

4. Does this support other game genres? (FPS, Hack and Slash, etc.)
          Currently, this can be changed from WoW-like MMO into a different genre just like a Third Person starter project can be changed into some other genre since both the server and the client are fully in blueprints. However, I can't promise it will be like this forever, it will depend on the stress testing and the capacity of Unreal's dedicated server.
          Last edited by CodeSpartan; 12-02-2014, 09:54 PM.
          MMO Starter Kit
          Dialogue Plugin
          Voxel Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by CodeSpartan View Post
            Out of the scope for now. I have a huge list of important and cool things I have to add/fix. I'm interested though, why are you wondering about it? I mean, WoW added cross-server lfg after several years of running, and I can't say that it is a great feature (less immersion and same-server friendships/reputation imo). Or do you mean something entirely different? If you mean cross-server chat, this can be done already in like one click since chat server is separate from the game server.
            I did not mean server to server as in 2 WoW type servers talking to each other. What I mean is, if i have a game with 2 zones each on their own map. I run zone 1 on server 1 and zone 2 on server 2. This way I can hypothetically have twice the population logged in at once. But I would still need server to server communication for something like: if someone from zone 1 invites his friend to a party, and the friend is in zone 2.

Its not really something most indy games probably need. I ran the server and DB for a small korean mmo, which had each "server" separated into shards to help the server scale to the population needs, so its just what im used to personally. It went something like this:

Gateway Server - Authentication, Login, version control, downloading patches, ect.
            Farm Manager - Holds the "server" persistent information, passes functions between shards.
            Shard Server 1 - A zone, collection of zones, or part of a zone, where players do stuff on.
            Shard Server 2, 3, ect

Comment

Originally posted by FlyofAvalon View Post
              I did not mean server to server as in 2 WoW type servers talking to each other. What I mean is, if i have a game with 2 zones each on their own map. I run zone 1 on server 1 and zone 2 on server 2. This way I can hypothetically have twice the population logged in at once. But I would still need server to server communication for something like: if someone from zone 1 invites his friend to a party, and the friend is in zone 2.

Its not really something most indy games probably need. I ran the server and DB for a small korean mmo, which had each "server" separated into shards to help the server scale to the population needs, so its just what im used to personally. It went something like this:

Gateway Server - Authentication, Login, version control, downloading patches, ect.
              Farm Manager - Holds the "server" persistent information, passes functions between shards.
              Shard Server 1 - A zone, collection of zones, or part of a zone, where players do stuff on.
              Shard Server 2, 3, ect
              So bascially how DayZ does things?

I Support this motion as my game would depend heavily on this

Comment

CodeSpartan, I think what you've done here is just pure awesome. Can't wait to see whats next! This is totally cool!

Comment

Great job!! Cant wait to see what this becomes!!

Comment

CodeSpartan: Thank you for the professional response.
                    Programmer, Rigger, Animator - Demo Reel 2015 - My RnD / WIP thread - www.dennylindberg.com
                    Worked on: Kitten'd - Guardians of Valor (Android, iOS)

Comment

@CodeSpartan
                      You will add new updates? If so, you want to add?

Suggestions:
                      - Character support for equipment (example: equiped armor and the armor appears in character.)
                      - Character status (str, agi, eva, def - calculation with server->client / client->server)
                      - What is attack type? Point-click or Action?
                      - Server collision?
                      - others basics systems of an MMORPG.

Comment

Would certainly buy this as soon as I get some more cash in the door.

Originally posted by CodeSpartan View Post
                        I plan to slowly make the demo project more and more into a WoW clone
                        If it does go this way please try to consider how clean components of the starter kit are to remove, I'm sure everything will be well worth looking over either way =]

The kind of server to server communication I would be interested in having is being able to assign servers (shards?) to different 'zones'/'levels' (world composition).
                        Eg.
                        A player in level A (on server 1) travels within the level streaming bounds of level B and now server 2 is aware of the player, once the player actually enters the zone he/she is passed off to server 2.
                        Allowing in game areas to (possibly) correspond to a different location in our world among other things.

Sorry if I didn't explain that very well and also sorry if this was already explained earlier, read every post but I have a very low understanding of networking and the terms associated with it.
                        Either way it wouldn't influence my decision to buy either way and I'm looking forward to any updates =]

Comment

Regarding multiple servers running different zones: I will need to do some testing to determine how I want to handle this, but let's not forget: World of Warcraft had only 2 world zone servers at launch - one for each continent. There was also a server for chat, and a server for instances. Ideally I would like to have the same structure (minus the second continent since it's unneeded for a starter kit and most indie MMOs), but it will depend on how well one server handles lots of players.

You will add new updates? If so, you want to add?

Suggestions:
                          - Character support for equipment (example: equiped armor and the armor appears in character.)
                          - Character status (str, agi, eva, def - calculation with server->client / client->server)
                          - What is attack type? Point-click or Action?
                          Attack type currently is exactly as it is in WoW.

My main focus at this time is stress testing and finishing the documentation so I can release the kit. Then I will focus on stuff that everyone or almost everyone needs (user graphic settings, loading screen, loot and inventory). Things like character stats you can easily do yourself, based on the current Health stat (it is reduced server-side when the character takes damage, then replicated to everyone, attack shows in chat, etc). Don't forget, this is fully in blueprints so no need to fear making the game logic yourself - you don't even need to know a programming language.
                          MMO Starter Kit
                          Dialogue Plugin
                          Voxel Plugin

Comment

Sounds good mate, having something like this is a pretty huge amount of weight taken off many of our shoulders and I certainly don't expect it to be perfect for my use case straight off the bat without taking a look at things.

Comment

The demo server (almost wrote "servers" like in most MMO announcements xD ) can be offline today for short periods of time now and then. I'm doing some patches and maintenance. So if you find you can't log in, don't worry.
                              MMO Starter Kit
                              Dialogue Plugin
                              Voxel Plugin

Comment

140 clients on the server right now, yes it's a stress test, join the fun! It will last for about an hour. I will post the statistics later today.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	86.png
Views:	1
Size:	950.8 KB
ID:	1061767
                                MMO Starter Kit
                                Dialogue Plugin
                                Voxel Plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X