MMO Starter Kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing is obvious in the beginning, it becomes obvious once you know it

Ok, first let's add a user for your db. This is something you should get used to doing, it's easier to learn than to unlearn bad habits.
    Just go to your database in phpadmin like the screen and go to the [Privileges] tab on top. There you can add a new user for this database and for the ease of it just give this user all privileges for this database. If in a later stage you decide to work with someone else on this project you can add a new user like this and just give him / her the privileges he / she needs.

From the looks of it, you've already set up the db correctly so that's ok now.

Next, let's start again with adding the scripts.

Go to your htdocs folder ( C:\xampp\htdocs ) and create a new folder ( like MMO, this is what i'll use as an example from now on ) and copy the php scripts to this location. Your scripts should now be in C:\xampp\htdocs\MMO\.
    Edit the mmoconnection.php

$servername = 'your ip';
    $username = 'the username you created in phpmyadmin';
    $password = 'the password you created in phpmyadmin';
    $dbname = 'the database name';

and save it.

Now in your browser go to - http://localhost/MMO/mmologin.php and one of the lines you get should read {"status":"Login information is incorrect. Check your username and password."}.This is good and your done with the db/php part.

Now start up the project in Unreal Editor ( i presume you already built it from source ) and edit the JSONRequests blueprint. Open Content / Maps / Start, Go to blueprints - open blueprints class - JSONRequests and change hostname to http://localhost/MMO/ , don't forget the slash at the end.

Press play and register a new account, if all is correct, this should work now and you can check the users database in phpmyadmin and your created user should be added.

If by any chance you can login but it won't proceed to the character creation after succesfull login go to C:\xampp\php\ and open php.ini
    Search for display_errors=On and change it to display_errors=Off, save and restart your server. It should work now.

Good luck
    Last edited by captain obvious; 04-12-2015, 04:40 PM. Reason: typooooos

Comment

easter came and went, and work caught up with me so abscense from the forums was needed captain obvious! THANKS! between work and other irl stuff it's hard to gather even WHERE to find the information one needs. i thank you so much. i was planning to wait until UE 4.8 was released (since the kit maybe gets updated then)
      but it i'm getting the itch... going to get cracking on getting the server up tomorrow

Comment

Hey Lok...

How is it going?
        Did you get the server up ?
        Clifford Brock

Gamer / Tinkers with MMO Kit
        Game: Claws&Paws

Comment

I went through the draggable window tutorial, which seemed fairly easy to follow. Nice work.

Comment

Hello,

is someone try to use a simple crosshair in the center of the screen ?
            i have some problems for doing that.
            when i launch the game, i have make an input fonction for show or hide the mouse cursor but that only works at start.
            But when i do a mouse clic the mouse cursor automatically show the cursor but i don't when to see it. And the character camera no more follow the mouse movement.

Anyone had the same problem ?

Thx

Comment

Hi,

The demo uses WoW-style controls by default - so when the player clicks, the cursor becomes invisible and the camera rotates. You can customize this behaviour in MyCharacter blueprint (MMO/Blueprints) - look for the big block named "Mouse input: ..."
              MMO Starter Kit
              Dialogue Plugin
              Voxel Plugin
              Character Customization: Female
              Character Custmization: Male

Comment

If anyone is bothered by the drifting vertices in the modular parts character - here are FBX fixes you can Reimport in UE4 over the ones in the MMO/NewCharacter/Modular asset folder. Also, there's a hole in the back of the pelvis which has been fixed.
                https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...dularParts.rar

(of course you'll replace that with your own meshes, but until then, it just looks nicer)

And if you are using the provided punching animation for combat, here is a (admittedly basic) CombatIdleNoWeapon you can import using the HeroTPP_Skeleton and replace in your GuyAnim animblueprint if you are using the punching animation for combat. The reason for this is that in the default provided CombatIdle he's posed holding a gun, which is a weird mix with punching combat.
                https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjo9qch164...eapon.fbx?dl=0
                Last edited by tomofnz; 04-25-2015, 01:25 AM. Reason: New stuff

Comment

Thank you Tomo...
                  Clifford Brock

Comment

Originally posted by tomofnz View Post
                    If anyone is bothered by the drifting vertices in the modular parts character - here are FBX fixes you can Reimport in UE4
                    Thanks tomofnz! I failed to split the blue guy into parts correctly, I wish my maya skills were better . I'll be sure to add your version of the .fbx files to the next release.
                    MMO Starter Kit
                    Dialogue Plugin
                    Voxel Plugin

Comment

I tried logging into the demo server and every character I made ended up under the world (Official demo server that is). No character controller or no character or something. Couldnt move or interact, couldnt pan etc.

Comment

Hi, it could be that you logged in during server maintenance. I've tried to enter the world right now and didn't have problems (there was also another person playing on the server just now), so you could try again.
                        MMO Starter Kit
                        Dialogue Plugin
                        Voxel Plugin

Comment

Ok soo I'm working on a Dynamic IP address system with PHP Looking using Json just need to figure out how to implement it into Code's code

The php is rather simple:
                          hostlookup.php
                          <?php
                          include_once "mmoconnection.php";
                          $ip = gethostbyname($gameserver_hostname);
                          echo json_encode($ip)
                          ?>
                          inside mmoconnection.php I added this line:
                          $gameserver_hostname = 'DynDNS/NoIP Address/DNS';

Comment

I use "Noip" and I had no issue with MMOconnection.php. I am using "localhost" as the web server and game server are on the same machine. But, in the Json, I could not use "http://tarly.servergame.com:81/" When I tried to use this, I could never get the web page to say "Registration successful." When I used http:// enter-ip-addy-here:81/ (please note, the redirect to port 81 as my ISP blocks port 80.) Everything works like a champ.

Dark, does my issue sound like the issue you were having using a dynamic ip ? Do you use webhop in DYN to use another port ?
                            Clifford Brock

Comment

Originally posted by CodeSpartan View Post
                              Hi, it could be that you logged in during server maintenance. I've tried to enter the world right now and didn't have problems (there was also another person playing on the server just now), so you could try again.
                              You are correct I managed to catch the server at the wrong time. Obviously some sort of ability to lock the servers during downtime etc will be a nice feature to add.

Comment

Quick question if anyone has figured this out:

How do you / would you, handle PVP? Basically, I'm thinking of a traditional setting, more or less.. anyone in the following "groups" are friendly and cannot attack each other, however, anyone not in the grouping, is fair game:

Group
                                Raid
                                Guild
                                Alliance
                                Mega-alliance (2 or more alliances that have a "non-aggression pact")
                                WIP: Science Project - A collection of middle school through advanced college level science theory and formula-based functions for use in your own projects
                                World Machine to UE4 Export Macro
                                WM Folder Generator - Creates a folder that you name with HeightMap, NormalMap, SplatMap, and Tile sub-folders

Comment

Working...
                                X