MMO Starter Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello
    I have a couple of starter problems when running Listen Server and Client.
    1 My server starts off with a dude standing there with bots around him, just nice. But my client starts under ground with no character and in flying mode and no bots. How do i fix this?
    2 When I login with my account details in the game and create a character it shows up in the database admin just fine, but if I log into my account again it says I haven't created any characters and forces me to make a new one. What's happening here?

[woops - I took out -local from both server and client shortcut params. With it in there, everything is fine].

Regards, Tom
    www.tomofnz.com
    Last edited by tomofnz; 04-05-2015, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Hi,

I do plan to write a guide about setting up the dedicated server on Linux, however the majority of my customers are not familiar with Linux or even dedicated servers in general so it's not a priority right now. The documentation has a very detailed guide on how to get the server up and running on Windows Server.
      MMO Starter Kit
      Dialogue Plugin
      Voxel Plugin
      Character Customization: Female
      Character Custmization: Male

Comment

Originally posted by tomofnz View Post
        [woops - I took out -local from both server and client shortcut params. With it in there, everything is fine].

Regards, Tom
        www.tomofnz.com
        Hi Tom,

Was just about to reply, glad it worked out for you
        MMO Starter Kit
        Dialogue Plugin
        Voxel Plugin

Comment

HI Codespartan ... As you know, I have been working on getting PHP 5.6.0up and running under Windows 10 server and how to set up NoIP to get around the port 80 blocked on a home connection.... I wrote a small tut on how to do this.... I have been working on getting the MMOkit up and running under a server here in my house. NoIP still giving me headaches.
          I hope to have a tut submitted to you in the next week or two. IMHO: there are some leaps in logic in the docs. With your help in Skype, I have it all up and running on the local network, but.. Internet access is hosed up by NoIP and the ports and redirects. Anyone have a free option like NoIP? I used to use DynDNS.. and it rocked.. but.. they seem to have removed their free setup with 2 host files.
          Last edited by Tarly; 04-06-2015, 02:45 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
          Clifford Brock

Gamer / Tinkers with MMO Kit
          Game: Claws&Paws

Comment

Would we follow basically the same steps for the linux box? I think most folks who are setting up a lin server probably know how to install MySQL, apache/nginx, and whatever build tools are required - i am more concerned about "can i do this" than "how do i do this"

Comment

Originally posted by pachewygames View Post
              Would we follow basically the same steps for the linux box? I think most folks who are setting up a lin server probably know how to install MySQL, apache/nginx, and whatever build tools are required - i am more concerned about "can i do this" than "how do i do this"
              Hi,

It should be possible, though I haven't tried it myself yet. You could check out this guide: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Dedica...s_%26_Linux%29 . The kit also has a separate C# chat server with source code included, it would also need to be built for Linux.

Internet access is hosed up by NoIP and the ports and redirects. Anyone have a free option like NoIP? I used to use DynDNS.. and it rocked.. but.. they seem to have removed their free setup with 2 host files.
              I'm not familiar with NoIP unfortunately, so can't help you out with that. Myself, I prefer to use my local machine for personal testing only and to order hourly or monthly hosting for projects that need to be accessed by other people over the internet.
              MMO Starter Kit
              Dialogue Plugin
              Voxel Plugin

Comment

Hey Codespartan,

I wanted to thank you here, for all the help and for the kit itself. I am having a SUPER FANTASIC time with setting up the server, and then getting in the kit and poking around. I started trying to build a game about 8 years ago. I Found GarageGames TGE and MyDreammmo.com Mydream had a MMO kit they were making and I was hooked. That was Sept. 2006 GG came out with TGEA and the kit was converted so, March of 2008 I got TGEA. GG moved to T3D and I could not afford the money to buy it so I looked at Realmcrafter, and bought it. RC was said to have great things coming... soon... and I got tired of waiting... and, in December of 2010 I bought T3D. As some of you know... T3D went free about 10 months after that. and I chalked up the money spent to learning costs.. All told, I prob spent (No one tell my wife this.) about four grand in engines and models and lighting kits.. blah blah.

I found UR 4 and I was thrilled to have access to the engine that my favorite MMO was built on. I signed up for a few months at 20 bucks a pop. I was put on disability last year, and now am stuck at home. When I had the money to pop for the kit, it took me about 5 minutes to decide to spend it. And I have been tickled beyond words man. My wife asked me, what had me so "up" she said I normally just moped around. Not a lot to do once you have done the dishes. and watched TV for a hour or two.

Now, when she gets home.. I want to tackle her and show her what I have been doing all day. your kit has really given me something to be excited about... I get to use my brain and problem solve, stretch to learn such. And get me away from the idiot box. (I swear I hate TV, mind rotting POS IMHO)

I know I have had a lot of questions.. and I appre you always being there and willing to help me. I will get something up and running, the kids may or may not play it.. but, I will have you to thank for getting me on the road, and you and Unreal for giving me something to do.

Thank you again,

Respectfully,
                Clifford. M. Brock
                Clifford Brock

Comment

Originally posted by Tarly View Post
                  Hey Codespartan,

I wanted to thank you here, for all the help and for the kit itself. I am having a SUPER FANTASIC time with setting up the server, and then getting in the kit and poking around. I started trying to build a game about 8 years ago. I Found GarageGames TGE and MyDreammmo.com Mydream had a MMO kit they were making and I was hooked. That was Sept. 2006 GG came out with TGEA and the kit was converted so, March of 2008 I got TGEA. GG moved to T3D and I could not afford the money to buy it so I looked at Realmcrafter, and bought it. RC was said to have great things coming... soon... and I got tired of waiting... and, in December of 2010 I bought T3D. As some of you know... T3D went free about 10 months after that. and I chalked up the money spent to learning costs.. All told, I prob spent (No one tell my wife this.) about four grand in engines and models and lighting kits.. blah blah.

I found UR 4 and I was thrilled to have access to the engine that my favorite MMO was built on. I signed up for a few months at 20 bucks a pop. I was put on disability last year, and now am stuck at home. When I had the money to pop for the kit, it took me about 5 minutes to decide to spend it. And I have been tickled beyond words man. My wife asked me, what had me so "up" she said I normally just moped around. Not a lot to do once you have done the dishes. and watched TV for a hour or two.

Now, when she gets home.. I want to tackle her and show her what I have been doing all day. your kit has really given me something to be excited about... I get to use my brain and problem solve, stretch to learn such. And get me away from the idiot box. (I swear I hate TV, mind rotting POS IMHO)

I know I have had a lot of questions.. and I appre you always being there and willing to help me. I will get something up and running, the kids may or may not play it.. but, I will have you to thank for getting me on the road, and you and Unreal for giving me something to do.

Thank you again,

Respectfully,
                  Clifford. M. Brock
                  +1 LoL, familiar story I also tried all of the engines and assets you mentioned and the last couple of months i even tried atavism online for unity but i really, really don't like unity. The Unreal engine has always been one of my favourites and this kit is awesome.

Comment

Hello, please consider also selling a blueprint mysql plugin. Many of us need it but paying the full price of MMO starter kit is too much

Comment

Thanatosx,

HI bud.. I don't speak for Code, but.. with all due respect. The kit's cost is the cost of a couple models, and the cost of building a game is a lot more than the cost of the kit. Having been put on disability last year, it seems top ramen is spendy these days so I can relate to the kit being spendy if your income is limited. But, I had to look at what I got for what I was trying to do.

I have not read thru the entire thread recently, but, I seem to recall someone asking about parts of the kit and the SQL part was addressed. You might read thru the eight pages and see if MySQL part was something Code used a add-on for.. his docs thank a few people for their gizmos. But, even if it is not something you can get with out getting the kit. IMHO, in the overall cost of building a game... or any project the kit's cost is low. It might take you some time to build up the money if funds are tight. But, still a great deal. If you had to pay a dev to build the MySQL part, I bet you would spend more than 95 bucks US.

Good luck in your project.
                      Last edited by Tarly; 04-08-2015, 03:26 PM. Reason: typos
                      Clifford Brock

Comment

Originally posted by thanatosx View Post
                        Hello, please consider also selling a blueprint mysql plugin. Many of us need it but paying the full price of MMO starter kit is too much
                        I recommend the free VaREST plugin + php, that's what I'm using it in the kit and it works very well.

Hey Codespartan,

I wanted to thank you here, for all the help and for the kit itself. I am having a SUPER FANTASIC time with setting up the server, and then getting in the kit and poking around.
                        Thanks Clifford,

I'm really glad to see people enjoying the kit so much. Best of luck with your project!
                        MMO Starter Kit
                        Dialogue Plugin
                        Voxel Plugin

Comment

CodeSpartan - "It could be done, for example for the project I'm currently working on I've made the MMO Kit more into a FPS. It will take some time though to remove the unneeded parts like camera controls and animation, and adjusting systems such as targeting. The difficulty would depend on how familiar you are with UE4 and Paper2D."

- Anyway to get access to the modified FPS blueprints as part of this MMO Package?

Additionally, Can you support destructible meshes in the currently build?
                          Last edited by MrMrC; 04-09-2015, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Hey CodeSpartan,

Playing around with your kit, and as always, absolutely love it. During the earlier demo video, the enemies had their names floating above their heads. We are trying to found out where this is done to play with it, but we haven't been able to find out. Was it taken out or our we just being blind?

Thanks so much!

Comment

How are you going to run a MMO update, once you begun editing the original? Do you have to re-add, modify the entire changes each time?
                              LEGENDS of EPICA [Twitter] [Facebook] [YouTube] [Vimeo]

Comment

Working...
                              X