No announcement yet.

MMO Starter Kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the feedback as always. Sadly, it seems my interest in a certain code-base integration (VXGI) will be halted, at least for now. Unless, of course, I don't mind rendering the scene at 5 FPS while wearing a VR HMD. I still need/want a 64bit client/server though.
    WIP: Science Project - A collection of middle school through advanced college level science theory and formula-based functions for use in your own projects
    World Machine to UE4 Export Macro
    WM Folder Generator - Creates a folder that you name with HeightMap, NormalMap, SplatMap, and Tile sub-folders

Comment

Send you a private message about something you should know .
      Last edited by Alagaros; 03-26-2015, 03:36 AM. Reason: On request

Comment

Originally posted by Kaotix View Post
        Hi, When I am starting it up for the first time. I get to the part in your Docs that say to register and create a character. I can register just fine, but it doesn't let me create a character for my first character. So I am stuck there.
        Did you solve this, got the same problem actually
        I'm on osx, ue 4.7.3, got the db setup on a vm with windows 8.1. Have checked the db and the user is created. I cleared the user db and created a new account and the active logins now contains 3 entries so it tries to login but just won't get to the character creation screen.

[edit] Sorry, must read first i've seen there are solutions, gonna try them [/edit]

[edit 2] Took the easy way out and disabled the php error message settings, working now. [edit 2]
        Last edited by captain obvious; 03-26-2015, 03:46 PM.

Comment

CodeSpartan this looks like it could be the best chance for indies to get a small mmo started with relative ease. Before I drop the money on this though, I'm curious to a few things however. You may have these in your doc files or not listed but can the Interfaces get more customization? I'm looking more for opacity, fade times on certain windows, overall appearance. The later I would assume can be changed in the bp somewhere. Thanks for the time and effort you've tossed into this.
          Youtube
          Facebook
          Twitter
          Forum

Comment

Looks like your getting a big crowd of buyers Code I'm glad I invested

Comment

Added a new section to the documentation: Creating your own draggable windows

Originally posted by Darktrooper View Post
              CodeSpartan this looks like it could be the best chance for indies to get a small mmo started with relative ease. Before I drop the money on this though, I'm curious to a few things however. You may have these in your doc files or not listed but can the Interfaces get more customization? I'm looking more for opacity, fade times on certain windows, overall appearance. The later I would assume can be changed in the bp somewhere. Thanks for the time and effort you've tossed into this.
              Hi,

The UMG system used for the user interface in UE4 is quite powerful and should allow you to adjust opacity, fade times and appearance with ease. I recommend you first try it in a clean project and then once you're sure you can modify the look of the MMO kit.
              MMO Starter Kit
              Dialogue Plugin
              Voxel Plugin
              Character Customization: Female
              Character Custmization: Male

Comment

CodeSpartan you appear to be my savior. I've been brainstorming a simple online RPG for several years. I got pretty far along with another Engine but hated the way their editor-based UI worked and the programmatic UI had show-stopping bugs. I picked up Unreal and simply implementing Database integration has me pulling my hair out. VaRest won't compile, SQLiteSupport is buggy as heck...not to mention the horrid lack of documentation and tutorials. I was about to give up when I ran across this. $95 for a functional base I can build on and modify is a steal.

I do have a couple questions first, and sorry if any have been asked before:

I intend to convert this to a Paper2D-based game, if possible, because I am terrible at modeling and slightly less terrible at spriting. How difficult would this be?
                Can I use MySQL HTTP Plugin in place of a PHP web host?
                I'm not very familiar with REST. Is it substantially slower than normal queries directly to a database?
                During your stress test did you determine any potential bottlenecks?

Comment

Hi Kevrlet,

Originally posted by Kevrlet View Post
                  I intend to convert this to a Paper2D-based game, if possible, because I am terrible at modeling and slightly less terrible at spriting. How difficult would this be?
                  It could be done, for example for the project I'm currently working on I've made the MMO Kit more into a FPS. It will take some time though to remove the unneeded parts like camera controls and animation, and adjusting systems such as targeting. The difficulty would depend on how familiar you are with UE4 and Paper2D.

Originally posted by Kevrlet View Post
                  Can I use MySQL HTTP Plugin in place of a PHP web host?
                  I'm not familiar with this plugin, if you want to use it instead of PHP, I recommend you to first find out if it can: 1) prevent sql injections, 2) hash user passwords with modern level of encryption and check against those hashes. Security is important

I'm not very familiar with REST. Is it substantially slower than normal queries directly to a database?
                  VaRest plugin just sends the input data to the php, then it's just php with prepared sql statements. If by normal queries you mean direct sql queries from the c++ game client, it wouldn't be secure. Direct queries from the game server could be done, but it would put extra stress on the server, so it's best to let php handle it. I wouldn't worry about the speed of sql queries.

During your stress test did you determine any potential bottlenecks?
                  Multithreading was not ideal so one CPU core will bottleneck eventually. It could be optimized further I guess, but for the game I'm currently working on (and for the purposes of the 'starter kit') ~500 npcs and ~100-150 players in one location should be enough for now.
                  MMO Starter Kit
                  Dialogue Plugin
                  Voxel Plugin

Comment

Any news on when the next update could come ? Im deciding if I should wait for the next update before I buy lol or do it now. Im interested in knowing what is coming :P

Comment

Originally posted by Lumion View Post
                      Any news on when the next update could come ? Im deciding if I should wait for the next update before I buy lol or do it now. Im interested in knowing what is coming :P
                      Hi, I've decided to try to release updates simultaneously with the new Unreal releases (since I need to make a port for each new version anyways). So the next update will be out when 4.8 comes out, in 1-2 months most probably.
                      MMO Starter Kit
                      Dialogue Plugin
                      Voxel Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Lumion View Post
                        Just do it now
                        It's already a great package and by the time the next update is released you're already familiar with it and you can start to implement and use the upgrade immediatly
                        It's worth every single cent you spend on it, a chat server/client, a launcher / updater, mysq setup and you can customize everything the way you need to because it's all open, no secrets and source codes included.

For me it's the best $95,- i spent on game assets and this is much more than a simple single asset. This really gives you a massive headstart if you plan to make a multiplayer game. A lot of the backbone work is done here.

Comment

Originally posted by CodeSpartan View Post
                          Hi Kevrlet,

It could be done, for example for the project I'm currently working on I've made the MMO Kit more into a FPS. It will take some time though to remove the unneeded parts like camera controls and animation, and adjusting systems such as targeting. The difficulty would depend on how familiar you are with UE4 and Paper2D.
                          Pretty much what I expected to hear. Having thought it over, some of the things I wanted to do are easier with 3d than 2d anyway...so I'll probably not bother with this. Heh.

I'm not familiar with this plugin, if you want to use it instead of PHP, I recommend you to first find out if it can: 1) prevent sql injections, 2) hash user passwords with modern level of encryption and check against those hashes. Security is important
                          Security is definitely important. I actually work in the industry, which coincidentally is why I want to avoid web hosts...too many bad experiences with them. However looking into the MySQL plugin more, I'd have to write my own security and sanitization code. Annoying.

VaRest plugin just sends the input data to the php, then it's just php with prepared sql statements. If by normal queries you mean direct sql queries from the c++ game client, it wouldn't be secure. Direct queries from the game server could be done, but it would put extra stress on the server, so it's best to let php handle it. I wouldn't worry about the speed of sql queries.
                          No I would never have a client directly querying a database. I really only asked this because I'm currently dealing with a SQL bottleneck at work, and was worried that implementing a middleman could make this bottleneck noticeable at much lower volumes.

Multithreading was not ideal so one CPU core will bottleneck eventually. It could be optimized further I guess, but for the game I'm currently working on (and for the purposes of the 'starter kit') ~500 npcs and ~100-150 players in one location should be enough for now.
                          Good to know. I don't anticipate having any more than that on a given map either, so this couldn't be a concern. Thanks for answering my half-asleep questions! (Seriously need to stop doing things when I'm half unconscious).

Comment

Kevrlet,

I bought the kit 24 hours ago.. I since have blown up my home based server twice. My own fault. Since I am not a fan of web hosts either.. I am fighting thru how to set up a local server in house. (Waiting on the image to be installed on the server as I type this.)

And I have to agree with others. Buying the kit now let's you get hands on it and iron out any kinks you may come across.. setting your stuff up. Codespartan prob. has a LOT less hair as I have asked a fairly large number of questions in Skpye chat and gotten answers back as fast as I ask them.

Very cool Kit.... VERY cool support.

Out of all the different engines I have bought.... and assets... this one KIT is by far my fav thing so far.
                            Last edited by Tarly; 04-03-2015, 05:28 PM. Reason: was late.. didn't proof read this
                            Clifford Brock

Gamer / Tinkers with MMO Kit
                            Game: Claws&Paws

Comment

forgive the thread necromancy; im thinking of buying this, but the windows server part is what hanging me up - has anyone gotten the dedicated server components working on linux?

thanks!

Comment

I have the same question. I want my server running on Linux, and want to make my game for OS X, linux, and win. Ios would be nice but not expected. I'd like to do development on OS X too if possible. Any news on this?

Comment

Working...
                                X