No announcement yet.

MMO Starter Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pardon the questions / requests if they have already been implemented.. I haven't had the time yet to look through the project

- Is there a way to set up a "spawn volume" instead of specific locations of bandit spawns? Basically, "a bandit will spawn anywhere in this volume"; the reason I ask is if you're making a large world, with a good amount of npc's, it would be a huge PITA to manually place each mob

- Player respawn, random location that is within 4 meters of closest XYZ object/respawn point. The logic should also determine if that coordinate is already occupied, and if it is, then choose another random coordinate within that area.

- Player Auction house / Player to player Trading / NPC stores.. speaking of stores, any idea how to implement pay2win.. err.. i mean.. functionality to allow players to purchase something through e-commerce website (or in-game) and have it sent to them in game? See guild wars 2 for idea on what i'm talking about

- Highlight selectable/actionable item or npc on mouse over, target item/npc (so if you look to the left, your still shooting/fighting what you have targetted). I know there's a tutorial on this, but this is the end of the post and I have to get to my day job!
    WIP: Science Project - A collection of middle school through advanced college level science theory and formula-based functions for use in your own projects
    World Machine to UE4 Export Macro
    WM Folder Generator - Creates a folder that you name with HeightMap, NormalMap, SplatMap, and Tile sub-folders

Comment

@Warwolf

Could you share what webhosts you've found that have PHP 5.5?

Comment

Originally posted by tarr_bot
        @Warwolf

I use SiteGround. They have 5.5.17 and 5.6.3 available. Be warned, though, they do billing on a year-to-year basis. It works out to a nice monthly rate, but it's a bit spendy up front.

Originally posted by SaviorNT
        Pardon the questions / requests if they have already been implemented.. I haven't had the time yet to look through the project

- Is there a way to set up a "spawn volume" instead of specific locations of bandit spawns? Basically, "a bandit will spawn anywhere in this volume"; the reason I ask is if you're making a large world, with a good amount of npc's, it would be a huge PITA to manually place each mob

- Player respawn, random location that is within 4 meters of closest XYZ object/respawn point. The logic should also determine if that coordinate is already occupied, and if it is, then choose another random coordinate within that area.

- Player Auction house / Player to player Trading / NPC stores.. speaking of stores, any idea how to implement pay2win.. err.. i mean.. functionality to allow players to purchase something through e-commerce website (or in-game) and have it sent to them in game? See guild wars 2 for idea on what i'm talking about

- Highlight selectable/actionable item or npc on mouse over, target item/npc (so if you look to the left, your still shooting/fighting what you have targetted). I know there's a tutorial on this, but this is the end of the post and I have to get to my day job!
        You'd probably want to do your spawn points mostly by hand anyway. Spawning within a volume is likely to result in actors spawning below the walkable terrain, or falling from the sky.

Respawn within a range wouldn't be to terribly difficult to implement. BreakTransform, Add a FloatInRange, MakeTransform, use as respawn transform.

An auction house is probably a little beyond the scope of a starter kit, but I wouldn't presume to speak for CodeSpartan on that.

Material highlights are already added, actually.
        Last edited by soctty; 03-02-2015, 07:56 PM. Reason: fixed quote source for tarr_bot
        @thereisnoscotty
        Grand Marshal of the Parade of Madfellows

Comment

Congrats with free UE4 guys!

As for webhosts with PHP 5.5, it's hard as hell finding one that isn't 5.3/5.4. Not to mention I'm cheap, so finding a free host was even harder. I did find x10 have PHP 5.5 on their free hosting though, and it seems to work just fine, if anyone is just as cheap as me.
          Great job on finding a free PHP 5.5 hosting, I didn't know it existed! I'll add this info to the documentation, so let me know please if there will be any issues with x10. I'm using PHP 5.5 because it has some very easy to use and efficient password encryption that can even change the encryption method over time as new and stronger algorithms are added to PHP without having to modify the original script.

Is there a way to set up a "spawn volume" instead of specific locations of bandit spawns? Basically, "a bandit will spawn anywhere in this volume"; the reason I ask is if you're making a large world, with a good amount of npc's, it would be a huge PITA to manually place each mob
          I have to agree with soctty here, most MMOs set spawn coordinates by hand, furthermore, in WoW they set the roam waypoints manually as well (players could check the fixed roam coordinates on sites like wowhead). However, you could implement spawning NPCs in a volume - I would start by making a clean TPP project and getting this functionality to work before porting it to the mmo project. You could try using ProjectPointToNavigation or raytracing for the ground so they don't appear below or above the terrain.

Player Auction house / Player to player Trading / NPC stores
          Those are not difficult to add yourself if you watch the official tutorials on replication. It's possible they will be added to the demo in the future.

Player respawn, random location that is within 4 meters of closest XYZ object/respawn point. The logic should also determine if that coordinate is already occupied, and if it is, then choose another random coordinate within that area.
          This is more of a general UE4 blueprints question, it can be done rather easily with some line tracing.

Highlight selectable/actionable item or npc on mouse over, target item/npc (so if you look to the left, your still shooting/fighting what you have targetted).
          Already implemented for the NPCs - same principle as in WoW, the character continues auto-attacking while you can rotate the camera.

Hi, When I am starting it up for the first time. I get to the part in your Docs that say to register and create a character. I can register just fine, but it doesn't let me create a character for my first character. So I am stuck there.
          Hi, contact me on Skype please (CodeSpartan) so we can fix this faster.
          MMO Starter Kit
          Dialogue Plugin
          Voxel Plugin
          Character Customization: Female
          Character Custmization: Male

Comment

Originally posted by soctty View Post
            I use SiteGround. They have 5.5.17 and 5.6.3 available. Be warned, though, they do billing on a year-to-year basis. It works out to a nice monthly rate, but it's a bit spendy up front.

You'd probably want to do your spawn points mostly by hand anyway. Spawning within a volume is likely to result in actors spawning below the walkable terrain, or falling from the sky.

Respawn within a range wouldn't be to terribly difficult to implement. BreakTransform, Add a FloatInRange, MakeTransform, use as respawn transform.

An auction house is probably a little beyond the scope of a starter kit, but I wouldn't presume to speak for CodeSpartan on that.

Material highlights are already added, actually.
            thanks for the info

/goes back to modelling a cathedral of sorts
            WIP: Science Project - A collection of middle school through advanced college level science theory and formula-based functions for use in your own projects
            World Machine to UE4 Export Macro
            WM Folder Generator - Creates a folder that you name with HeightMap, NormalMap, SplatMap, and Tile sub-folders

Comment

Originally posted by soctty View Post

Thank you Soctty!

Comment

Great work Codespartan! I'll have to check it out later this week. I'll report back any bugs/fixes i find/have.
                Twitter - @TheKRushin

Feel free to ask questions and come learn to be an #UnrealDev

How to report a Bug

Comment

Hey CodeSpartan -

Have you considered selling the systems (XP,Class System, Player Customization, etc) for the MMO kit for Single player games?

Currently the marketplace is rather devoid of any single player RPG solutions.

Just curious,

HeadClot

Comment

Originally posted by HeadClot View Post
                    Hey CodeSpartan -

Have you considered selling the systems (XP,Class System, Player Customization, etc) for the MMO kit for Single player games?

Currently the marketplace is rather devoid of any single player RPG solutions.

Just curious,

HeadClot

Hi,

I prefer to focus on MMO Starter Kit, I wouldn't be able to provide quality updates and support if I spread my focus between several packages. There are many people who have enough knowledge to make a single player RPG, so I would expect more kits appearing on the Marketplace soon.
                    MMO Starter Kit
                    Dialogue Plugin
                    Voxel Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by tarr_bot View Post
                      @Warwolf

Honestly, you could just Google something like "PHP 5.5 hosting" and come up with plenty of results. x10 was pure luck, since I've used them before.

Originally posted by CodeSpartan View Post
                      Great job on finding a free PHP 5.5 hosting, I didn't know it existed! I'll add this info to the documentation, so let me know please if there will be any issues with x10. I'm using PHP 5.5 because it has some very easy to use and efficient password encryption that can even change the encryption method over time as new and stronger algorithms are added to PHP without having to modify the original script.
                      As far as I can see, no issues at all, everything seems to work as it should. The only thing I would say is keeping an active account, though I would assume that's a given really.
                      Feel free to add me on the launcher or Skype. I'm always happy to chat and give a hand.

Currently, only one game credit, which is Monstrum.

Comment

A few question before I buy

1. Can I develop this using a Mac machine?
                        2. Which hosting is cheaper? Microsoft Azure or IBM Softlayer?

Comment

hi,
                          i have buy your kit this weekend.

i have somes questions :

for your server test you use only a serveur with 1 core 2ghz and 1Go ? or that's only for your first try ?
                          if you can say what is your current server configuration, that will be great.

allready have somes vps cloud 2 like that : http://www.ovh.com/us/vps/vps-cloud.xml 4 core 2ghz + 4Gb with windows server 2012 r2. how many ppl you think they support for somes tests ?

We can only use your kit on a source build of ue4 ? why don't use the normal UE4 with 4.71 launcher ?

Thx

Comment

Originally posted by Meriamon View Post
                            hi,
                            i have buy your kit this weekend.

i have somes questions :

for your server test you use only a serveur with 1 core 2ghz and 1Go ? or that's only for your first try ?

allready have somes vps cloud 2 like that : http://www.ovh.com/us/vps/vps-cloud.xml 4 core 2ghz + 4Gb with windows server 2012 r2. how many ppl you think they support for somes tests ?

We can only use your kit on a source build of ue4 ? why don't use the normal UE4 with 4.71 launcher ?

Thx
                            I'm playing on the default 7.1, and it seems to work perfectly.

Comment

2. Which hosting is cheaper? Microsoft Azure or IBM Softlayer?
                              Originally posted by Meriamon View Post
                              hi,
                              The server I'm currently using for the demo is Softlayer's lowest Windows configuration, like you said: 1 core 2ghz and 1Go ram, 25GB disk ($44.60/month), hosted in Washington. I'm using Softlayer partly because of 24/7 chat support. Azure's lowest config looks significantly cheaper ($13/month) but I'm having doubts about the disk size (20GB) and RAM (0.75), it could be not enough. You are free to try any hosting, especially since most companies have hourly rates now. OVH's prices linked by Meriamon look interesting, but I haven't tried this hosting so I can't speak for it.

If you a want a really inexpensive server, self-hosting or Linux are your best options. However you would have to know how to package for Linux since the kit doesn't 'officially' support it yet.

If you want to maximize the amount of players on one Unreal server instance, look for bare metal Xeon ~3.5ghz servers, not virtual, since Unreal's multithreading is not perfect. I'd say the server you linked would support 2-3 Unreal server instances, 100-150 players each (without optimizations), but that's a rough estimate and would also depend on the amount of NPCs.

1. Can I develop this using a Mac machine?
                              Most probably, since Unreal fully supports Mac. However, I don't own a Mac and so I can't give more information here. Guys, is there anyone in the thread who is using MMO Starter Kit with Mac?

Unreal's dedicated server can only be built when using source build.
                              Last edited by CodeSpartan; 03-04-2015, 11:27 PM.
                              MMO Starter Kit
                              Dialogue Plugin
                              Voxel Plugin

Comment

Hello CodeSpartan,

What's the next thing you want to do on MMO Starter Kit?

Comment

Working...
                                X