No announcement yet.

MMO Starter Kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any improvements with replication graph?

Comment

What's a replication graph?
      MMO Starter Kit
      Dialogue Plugin
      Voxel Plugin
      Character Customization: Female
      Character Custmization: Male

Comment

Originally posted by CodeSpartan View Post
        MMO Starter Kit is available for purchase on Sellfy!
        Online documentation for version 1.15
        Unofficial Discord channel

older documentation: 1.14 | 1.13 | 1.12 | 1.11 | 1.10 | 1.9 | 1.8 | 1.7 | 1.5 | 1.4 | 1.3 | 1.2 | 1.1 | 1.0

Update 20/07: 4.20 port link
        Update 17/03: 4.19 port + bug fixes link

Update 08/12: Minor tweaks and bug fixes link
        Update 31/10: 4.18 port
        Update 19/08: 4.17 port
        Update 26/05: 4.16 port, bug fixes link
        Update 23/02: 4.15 port

Update 16/12: Bug fixes, 4.14 port link
        Update 04/09: Animated loading screen, 4.13 port link
        Update 28/07: Clans, clan chat, 4.12.5 port link
        Update 06/04: A reworked Launcher, aggressive behavior tree, ability to delete characters, 4.11 port link

Update 15/11: Group mechanics, private and group chat, 4.10 port link
        Update 04/09: Hotbar, localization support, 4.9 port link
        Project Genom - a sci-fi MMO built using MMO Starter Kit has been Greenlit link
        Update 26/06: Quests, health regen, 4.8.1 port link
        Update 01/03: Equipment and better security, 4.7 port link

Update 24/12: Inventory and loot link
        Update 6/12 140+ active players confirmed running smoothly! link

Download demo client
        (330 MB download, 1.5 GB free space required for the install)

Demo controls: I - inventory, C - equipment, P - abilities

The first video: (pretty outdated!)

Hi everyone,

I would like to present the project that I've been working on for quite some time already - MMO Starter Kit. I have been carrying the idea of an MMO kit for more than a year now, and have tried different engines and approaches, but only when I saw Unreal 4 this became a serious project for me. I believe that Unreal Blueprint system can truly allow anyone to create their own MMO game, and with the engine's next-gen graphics that game can turn out to be truly fantastic.

Anyways, let me sum up the features that are already present in the MMO kit:
        • All source code included
        • Fully in Blueprints. I'm an experienced programmer but Blueprints have totally won me over. The only subsystem that I had to code was the connection to the socket chat server and I made it into a plugin so it's still being accessed from Blueprints.
        • Persistent storage of data in a mySQL database. Character position and stats are saved when the character logs off and restored when it enters world again.
        • No third-party solution (such as Photon or RakNet) required - so no monthly fees and you are free to host your server anywhere you want. I'm hosting the demo server on Softlayer and will provide detailed instructions on how to set up a server for those who are new to dedicated servers in general.
        • Registration, login and character creation.
        • Authoritative server
        • Launcher/autoupdater that can update the game and itself (separate application, in C#). Because you don't want to make your users download the full game over again after each minor update
        • Combat and targeting
        • Roaming and aggressive NPCs that fight back and chase after the player if attacked
        • Inventory and loot, droppable items
        • Equipment
        • Quests
        • Player and NPC respawn
        • Combat log
        • Classic MMO controls (think World of Warcraft)
        • Groups and clans
        • Global, private, party and clan chat
        • UMG user interface

Closing note: MMO's are pretty feared in indie gamedev community and new users who have a MMO dream are often laughed at. There's also an aura of secrecy about them, maintained by people who have once dived into MMOs a little but failed and are unwilling to share their knowledge with the others, prefering to discourage them instead. Well, they are wrong. It is possible to create an MMO, and it doesn't necessarily cost millions. Just as Unreal 4's graphics would cost millions to achieve some few years ago, those things just become more available as the time goes. My goal is to create the best MMO kit for Unreal, with extensive documentation that covers not only how to work with the kit from within Unreal, but also things like how to order and set up a dedicated Softlayer server.

Credits: I would like to say thank you to Vladimir Alyamkin (ufna) for his wonderful VaRest Plugin, released under MIT license. It's people like this who move the indie gamedev community forward.

The authors of the free assets that are used in the demo:

Sword Girl model (used only on the demo server, not distributed) - Bunt Games
        Inventory icons - Ravenmore, Flare icons
        Black & white icons for empty slots - game-icons.net
        Inventory sounds - qubodup, Akeroyc
        female voices - AderuMoro, MadamVicious
        male voices - Michel Baradari

The map used in the demo is by Epic Games.

Hi,

Can I use this project for Android application? How much does it cost? Can you help me to build my own project?

Comment

What's a replication graph?
          replication graph is a new tool that deals with replication for large actor count muliplayer games they developed it for fortnite. New in 4.20.

Comment

Originally posted by OGdoodoo View Post

replication graph is a new tool that deals with replication for large actor count muliplayer games they developed it for fortnite. New in 4.20.
            Thanks, I'll be reading up on that.

One thing that the 4.20 version improved dramatically is that they finally fixed the situation where reliable multicasts would forcibly open replication channels to actors that are netculled, forcing EVERYONE to create an actor, receive the multicast, and then allow the actor to be netculled again. It was very resource intensive, and if you wanted to go around it, you had to perform multicasts unreliably or to do them through variables' OnRep functions. Neither of those are great. Thankfully it's finally fixed.
            Last edited by CodeSpartan; 07-26-2018, 01:01 PM.
            MMO Starter Kit
            Dialogue Plugin
            Voxel Plugin

Comment

Ok, so I've watched the video on replication graph and got the gist of it. It's a flexible system that allows you to define rules for when, how often and what to replicate to what connection. It's nice, but it's really supposed to be configured once you have most of your game with all the classes, because you define replication rules on the per class basis. It's supposed to be done late in development. It wouldn't be of much use for the MMO Kit, because the kit is only the foundation for a game.

Personally, I'll wait till it's out of the experimental phase and has some more documentation, then I'll implement it for the MMO I'm working on. And we're always one version behind the latest ue4 version. So I'll probably really dive into it in half a year or so.
              Last edited by CodeSpartan; 07-26-2018, 01:36 PM.
              MMO Starter Kit
              Dialogue Plugin
              Voxel Plugin

Comment

Getting a weird issue and I have no idea why.

Code:
                LogScriptCore: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 0 from array 'CallFunc_GetAllActorsOfClass_OutActors' of length 0 in '/Game/MMO/Blueprints/Inventory/Equipment.Equipment_C:ExecuteUbergraph_Equipment'!
                LogVaRest: Response (200): 
                JSON(
                )JSON
                LogVaRest: Error: UVaRestJsonObject::SetRootObject(45): Trying to set invalid json object as root one. Reset now.
                LogVaRest: Warning: No field with name status of type String
                LogBlueprintUserMessages: [GWPlayerState_C_0] Server: 
                LogBlueprintUserMessages: [GWPlayerState_C_0] Server: ID: 0
                LogVaRest: Request (json): POST http://localhost/gb/mmogetcharacters.php 
                JSON(
                {
                    "sessionkey": "",
                    "userid": 0
                }
                )JSON
                JSON(
                )JSON
                LogVaRest: Error: UVaRestJsonObject::SetRootObject(45): Trying to set invalid json object as root one. Reset now.
                LogBlueprintUserMessages: [GWPlayerState_C_0] Server: Get all characters failed status check.

Comment

I got these weird errors when I tried to upgrade my project to 4.20. I made the changes in to VaRestPlugin.

Comment

Originally posted by Althaen View Post
                    Getting a weird issue and I have no idea why.

Code:
                    LogScriptCore: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 0 from array 'CallFunc_GetAllActorsOfClass_OutActors' of length 0 in '/Game/MMO/Blueprints/Inventory/Equipment.Equipment_C:ExecuteUbergraph_Equipment'!
                    JSON(
                    )JSON
                    LogBlueprintUserMessages: [GWPlayerState_C_0] Server:
                    LogBlueprintUserMessages: [GWPlayerState_C_0] Server: ID: 0
                    LogVaRest: Request (json): POST http://localhost/gb/mmogetcharacters.php
                    JSON(
                    {
                    "sessionkey": "",
                    "userid": 0
                    }
                    )JSON
                    JSON(
                    )JSON
                    LogBlueprintUserMessages: [GWPlayerState_C_0] Server: Get all characters failed status check.
                    Looks like your php scripts don't return anything, your local scripts/db aren't set up correctly.
                    MMO Starter Kit
                    Dialogue Plugin
                    Voxel Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by FoxxTrax View Post
                      I got these weird errors when I tried to upgrade my project to 4.20. I made the changes in to VaRestPlugin.
                      Did you back up your project before upgrading and can you confirm that these errors weren't present in your previous version?

Upload the project to google drive and send me a link in PM, I'll have a look at it.
                      MMO Starter Kit
                      Dialogue Plugin
                      Voxel Plugin

Comment

Did you back up your project before upgrading and can you confirm that these errors weren't present in your previous version?

Upload the project to google drive and send me a link in PM, I'll have a look at it.
                        Yeah in the previous version I didn't get these errors. I'll upload it and send it over shortly thanks so much!!

Comment

Originally posted by FoxxTrax View Post

Yeah in the previous version I didn't get these errors. I'll upload it and send it over shortly thanks so much!!
                          I inspected your project. You forgot to check the "Run Dedicated Server" checkbox after migrating to 4.20
                          MMO Starter Kit
                          Dialogue Plugin
                          Voxel Plugin

Comment

I inspected your project. You forgot to check the "Run Dedicated Server" checkbox after migrating to 4.20
                            Yeah sorry to trouble you, a friend just told me the same thing. Thanks for the support.

Comment

Hi, I downloaded the new mmokit version 4.20 and Iv done all the setups but when I go to start map I can not make a username or password, the password just diapers.I have added my domain name and everything checks out right I clicked run dedicated server, this is a fresh install of mmokit. Version 4.19 works great just cant get passed the making a username and password in 4.20

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Realm Games View Post
                                Hi, I downloaded the new mmokit version 4.20 and Iv done all the setups but when I go to start map I can not make a username or password, the password just diapers.I have added my domain name and everything checks out right I clicked run dedicated server, this is a fresh install of mmokit. Version 4.19 works great just cant get passed the making a username and password in 4.20

Thank you
                                Is this happening in editor or in cooked build?

If in editor, then "run dedicated server" should not be checked when running the start map, because you're just supposed to be a client here. But anyway, what happens in the log when the password disappears and nothing happens? You should see an error coming back from php.
                                MMO Starter Kit
                                Dialogue Plugin
                                Voxel Plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X