Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MMO Starter Kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    any improvements with replication graph?

    Comment


      What's a replication graph?
      MMO Starter Kit
      Dialogue Plugin
      Voxel Plugin
      Character Customization: Female
      Character Custmization: Male

      Comment


        Originally posted by CodeSpartan View Post
        MMO Starter Kit is available for purchase on Sellfy!
        Online documentation for version 1.15
        Unofficial Discord channel

        older documentation: 1.14 | 1.13 | 1.12 | 1.11 | 1.10 | 1.9 | 1.8 | 1.7 | 1.5 | 1.4 | 1.3 | 1.2 | 1.1 | 1.0

        2018
        Update 20/07: 4.20 port link
        Update 17/03: 4.19 port + bug fixes link

        2017
        Update 08/12: Minor tweaks and bug fixes link
        Update 31/10: 4.18 port
        Update 19/08: 4.17 port
        Update 26/05: 4.16 port, bug fixes link
        Update 23/02: 4.15 port

        2016
        Update 16/12: Bug fixes, 4.14 port link
        Update 04/09: Animated loading screen, 4.13 port link
        Update 28/07: Clans, clan chat, 4.12.5 port link
        Update 06/04: A reworked Launcher, aggressive behavior tree, ability to delete characters, 4.11 port link

        2015

        Update 15/11: Group mechanics, private and group chat, 4.10 port link
        Update 04/09: Hotbar, localization support, 4.9 port link
        Project Genom - a sci-fi MMO built using MMO Starter Kit has been Greenlit link
        Update 26/06: Quests, health regen, 4.8.1 port link
        Update 01/03: Equipment and better security, 4.7 port link

        2014

        Update 24/12: Inventory and loot link
        Update 6/12 140+ active players confirmed running smoothly! link

        Download demo client
        (330 MB download, 1.5 GB free space required for the install)

        Demo controls: I - inventory, C - equipment, P - abilities

        The first video: (pretty outdated!)


        Hi everyone,

        I would like to present the project that I've been working on for quite some time already - MMO Starter Kit. I have been carrying the idea of an MMO kit for more than a year now, and have tried different engines and approaches, but only when I saw Unreal 4 this became a serious project for me. I believe that Unreal Blueprint system can truly allow anyone to create their own MMO game, and with the engine's next-gen graphics that game can turn out to be truly fantastic.

        Anyways, let me sum up the features that are already present in the MMO kit:
        • All source code included
        • Fully in Blueprints. I'm an experienced programmer but Blueprints have totally won me over. The only subsystem that I had to code was the connection to the socket chat server and I made it into a plugin so it's still being accessed from Blueprints.
        • Persistent storage of data in a mySQL database. Character position and stats are saved when the character logs off and restored when it enters world again.
        • No third-party solution (such as Photon or RakNet) required - so no monthly fees and you are free to host your server anywhere you want. I'm hosting the demo server on Softlayer and will provide detailed instructions on how to set up a server for those who are new to dedicated servers in general.
        • Registration, login and character creation.
        • Authoritative server
        • Launcher/autoupdater that can update the game and itself (separate application, in C#). Because you don't want to make your users download the full game over again after each minor update
        • Combat and targeting
        • Roaming and aggressive NPCs that fight back and chase after the player if attacked
        • Inventory and loot, droppable items
        • Equipment
        • Quests
        • Player and NPC respawn
        • Combat log
        • Classic MMO controls (think World of Warcraft)
        • Groups and clans
        • Global, private, party and clan chat
        • UMG user interface






        Closing note: MMO's are pretty feared in indie gamedev community and new users who have a MMO dream are often laughed at. There's also an aura of secrecy about them, maintained by people who have once dived into MMOs a little but failed and are unwilling to share their knowledge with the others, prefering to discourage them instead. Well, they are wrong. It is possible to create an MMO, and it doesn't necessarily cost millions. Just as Unreal 4's graphics would cost millions to achieve some few years ago, those things just become more available as the time goes. My goal is to create the best MMO kit for Unreal, with extensive documentation that covers not only how to work with the kit from within Unreal, but also things like how to order and set up a dedicated Softlayer server.

        Credits: I would like to say thank you to Vladimir Alyamkin (ufna) for his wonderful VaRest Plugin, released under MIT license. It's people like this who move the indie gamedev community forward.

        The authors of the free assets that are used in the demo:

        Sword Girl model (used only on the demo server, not distributed) - Bunt Games
        Inventory icons - Ravenmore, Flare icons
        Black & white icons for empty slots - game-icons.net
        Inventory sounds - qubodup, Akeroyc
        female voices - AderuMoro, MadamVicious
        male voices - Michel Baradari

        The map used in the demo is by Epic Games.











        Hi,

        Can I use this project for Android application? How much does it cost? Can you help me to build my own project?

        Comment


          Originally posted by CodeSpartan View Post
          What's a replication graph?
          replication graph is a new tool that deals with replication for large actor count muliplayer games they developed it for fortnite. New in 4.20.

          Comment


            Originally posted by OGdoodoo View Post

            replication graph is a new tool that deals with replication for large actor count muliplayer games they developed it for fortnite. New in 4.20.
            Thanks, I'll be reading up on that.

            One thing that the 4.20 version improved dramatically is that they finally fixed the situation where reliable multicasts would forcibly open replication channels to actors that are netculled, forcing EVERYONE to create an actor, receive the multicast, and then allow the actor to be netculled again. It was very resource intensive, and if you wanted to go around it, you had to perform multicasts unreliably or to do them through variables' OnRep functions. Neither of those are great. Thankfully it's finally fixed.
            Last edited by CodeSpartan; 07-26-2018, 01:01 PM.
            MMO Starter Kit
            Dialogue Plugin
            Voxel Plugin
            Character Customization: Female
            Character Custmization: Male

            Comment


              Ok, so I've watched the video on replication graph and got the gist of it. It's a flexible system that allows you to define rules for when, how often and what to replicate to what connection. It's nice, but it's really supposed to be configured once you have most of your game with all the classes, because you define replication rules on the per class basis. It's supposed to be done late in development. It wouldn't be of much use for the MMO Kit, because the kit is only the foundation for a game.

              Personally, I'll wait till it's out of the experimental phase and has some more documentation, then I'll implement it for the MMO I'm working on. And we're always one version behind the latest ue4 version. So I'll probably really dive into it in half a year or so.
              Last edited by CodeSpartan; 07-26-2018, 01:36 PM.
              MMO Starter Kit
              Dialogue Plugin
              Voxel Plugin
              Character Customization: Female
              Character Custmization: Male

              Comment


                Getting a weird issue and I have no idea why.

                Code:
                LogScriptCore: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 0 from array 'CallFunc_GetAllActorsOfClass_OutActors' of length 0 in '/Game/MMO/Blueprints/Inventory/Equipment.Equipment_C:ExecuteUbergraph_Equipment'!
                LogVaRest: Response (200): 
                JSON(
                )JSON
                LogVaRest: Error: UVaRestJsonObject::SetRootObject(45): Trying to set invalid json object as root one. Reset now.
                LogVaRest: Warning: No field with name status of type String
                LogVaRest: Warning: No field with name status of type String
                LogBlueprintUserMessages: [GWPlayerState_C_0] Server: 
                LogBlueprintUserMessages: [GWPlayerState_C_0] Server: ID: 0
                LogVaRest: Request (json): POST http://localhost/gb/mmogetcharacters.php 
                JSON(
                {
                    "sessionkey": "",
                    "userid": 0
                }
                )JSON
                LogVaRest: Response (200): 
                JSON(
                )JSON
                LogVaRest: Error: UVaRestJsonObject::SetRootObject(45): Trying to set invalid json object as root one. Reset now.
                LogVaRest: Warning: No field with name status of type String
                LogBlueprintUserMessages: [GWPlayerState_C_0] Server: Get all characters failed status check.

                Comment


                  I got these weird errors when I tried to upgrade my project to 4.20. I made the changes in to VaRestPlugin.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Althaen View Post
                    Getting a weird issue and I have no idea why.

                    Code:
                    LogScriptCore: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted to access index 0 from array 'CallFunc_GetAllActorsOfClass_OutActors' of length 0 in '/Game/MMO/Blueprints/Inventory/Equipment.Equipment_C:ExecuteUbergraph_Equipment'!
                    LogVaRest: Response (200):
                    JSON(
                    )JSON
                    LogVaRest: Error: UVaRestJsonObject::SetRootObject(45): Trying to set invalid json object as root one. Reset now.
                    LogVaRest: Warning: No field with name status of type String
                    LogVaRest: Warning: No field with name status of type String
                    LogBlueprintUserMessages: [GWPlayerState_C_0] Server:
                    LogBlueprintUserMessages: [GWPlayerState_C_0] Server: ID: 0
                    LogVaRest: Request (json): POST http://localhost/gb/mmogetcharacters.php
                    JSON(
                    {
                    "sessionkey": "",
                    "userid": 0
                    }
                    )JSON
                    LogVaRest: Response (200):
                    JSON(
                    )JSON
                    LogVaRest: Error: UVaRestJsonObject::SetRootObject(45): Trying to set invalid json object as root one. Reset now.
                    LogVaRest: Warning: No field with name status of type String
                    LogBlueprintUserMessages: [GWPlayerState_C_0] Server: Get all characters failed status check.
                    Looks like your php scripts don't return anything, your local scripts/db aren't set up correctly.
                    MMO Starter Kit
                    Dialogue Plugin
                    Voxel Plugin
                    Character Customization: Female
                    Character Custmization: Male

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by FoxxTrax View Post
                      I got these weird errors when I tried to upgrade my project to 4.20. I made the changes in to VaRestPlugin.
                      Did you back up your project before upgrading and can you confirm that these errors weren't present in your previous version?

                      Upload the project to google drive and send me a link in PM, I'll have a look at it.
                      MMO Starter Kit
                      Dialogue Plugin
                      Voxel Plugin
                      Character Customization: Female
                      Character Custmization: Male

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by CodeSpartan View Post

                        Did you back up your project before upgrading and can you confirm that these errors weren't present in your previous version?

                        Upload the project to google drive and send me a link in PM, I'll have a look at it.
                        Yeah in the previous version I didn't get these errors. I'll upload it and send it over shortly thanks so much!!

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by FoxxTrax View Post

                          Yeah in the previous version I didn't get these errors. I'll upload it and send it over shortly thanks so much!!
                          I inspected your project. You forgot to check the "Run Dedicated Server" checkbox after migrating to 4.20
                          MMO Starter Kit
                          Dialogue Plugin
                          Voxel Plugin
                          Character Customization: Female
                          Character Custmization: Male

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by CodeSpartan View Post

                            I inspected your project. You forgot to check the "Run Dedicated Server" checkbox after migrating to 4.20
                            Yeah sorry to trouble you, a friend just told me the same thing. Thanks for the support.

                            Comment


                              Hi, I downloaded the new mmokit version 4.20 and Iv done all the setups but when I go to start map I can not make a username or password, the password just diapers.I have added my domain name and everything checks out right I clicked run dedicated server, this is a fresh install of mmokit. Version 4.19 works great just cant get passed the making a username and password in 4.20

                              Thank you

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Realm Games View Post
                                Hi, I downloaded the new mmokit version 4.20 and Iv done all the setups but when I go to start map I can not make a username or password, the password just diapers.I have added my domain name and everything checks out right I clicked run dedicated server, this is a fresh install of mmokit. Version 4.19 works great just cant get passed the making a username and password in 4.20

                                Thank you
                                Is this happening in editor or in cooked build?

                                If in editor, then "run dedicated server" should not be checked when running the start map, because you're just supposed to be a client here. But anyway, what happens in the log when the password disappears and nothing happens? You should see an error coming back from php.
                                MMO Starter Kit
                                Dialogue Plugin
                                Voxel Plugin
                                Character Customization: Female
                                Character Custmization: Male

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X