MMO Starter Kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rosella500 View Post
    First off, I just want to say that this is a fantastic codebase. I would've bought it for the MySQL database integration alone, but the patcher and networking are fantastic components and I can't wait to incorporate them.
    You can add me on skype by the way (CodeSpartan) if any questions arise.

in the registration PHP, there's a query
    PHP Code:
    SELECT FROM `usersWHERE `name`='".$accountname."' 
    but it should be
    PHP Code:
    SELECT FROM `usersWHERE `username`='".$accountname."' 
    Thanks for reporting this, fixed it for the next update. The update will contain lots of php improvements, thanks to qdelpeche and to you.

Removing that last line seems to have fixed it. Obviously, depending on you warning settings, this might not come up or be a problem, but it seems to be a redundant line anyway.
    Yeah, php settings can vary between hosting providers, me and several users that I know of didn't have any problems with that warning. I'll do some testing and remove the line if it's redundant.
    MMO Starter Kit
    Dialogue Plugin
    Voxel Plugin
    Character Customization: Female
    Character Custmization: Male

Comment

@CodeSpartan: I have also created a completely blank template without all the other fluff and starter kit content etc. Let me know if you want it. It is basically just your one MMO folder and a replace Menu/Lobby and starter area with the necessary items added to make it work.

You can maybe offer it as an alternative for those like me who want a blank slate to start off.

I am also currently putting TripleDES encryption in to the C++ engine ... so you would hash your password and then send it to the PHP web service for registration. When you log in, you do the same hashing on the client and then compare it to hashed password in the DB.

Finally I have noticed that you aren't confirming the two password fields that matching when you send it to the registration process ... you may want to look at this.
      Quinton Delpeche
      Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Comment

Originally posted by qdelpeche View Post
        @CodeSpartan: I have also created a completely blank template without all the other fluff and starter kit content etc. Let me know if you want it. It is basically just your one MMO folder and a replace Menu/Lobby and starter area with the necessary items added to make it work.

You can maybe offer it as an alternative for those like me who want a blank slate to start off.

I am also currently putting TripleDES encryption in to the C++ engine ... so you would hash your password and then send it to the PHP web service for registration. When you log in, you do the same hashing on the client and then compare it to hashed password in the DB.

Finally I have noticed that you aren't confirming the two password fields that matching when you send it to the registration process ... you may want to look at this.
        I would be interested in this

Comment

Funny how some things happens all the same on every new gameDev community every now and then...
          I'm already pretty sure where all of this is going to end, good luck to the ones involved.
          | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

I have also created a completely blank template without all the other fluff and starter kit content etc. Let me know if you want it. It is basically just your one MMO folder and a replace Menu/Lobby and starter area with the necessary items added to make it work.
            I thought about this, and will probably add a new "starter" map to the kit. Epic's desert map will be put in a separate folder so you can delete it yourself. I don't want to get rid of the desert demo altogether, because some people, especially those new to Unreal or level design like to start with something that looks good (I remember myself a few years ago - I would have certainly preferred to start with the desert map instead of some white blocks )

Zeiten is right, it's checked in MainMenu bp.

By the way, a sneak peek of the update

Click image for larger version

Name:	update.png
Views:	1
Size:	592.0 KB
ID:	1065126
            MMO Starter Kit
            Dialogue Plugin
            Voxel Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by CodeSpartan View Post
              Zeiten is right, it's checked in MainMenu bp.
              @CodeSpartan & Zeiten: Doh my bad ... sorry about the false alarm. 8-}
              Quinton Delpeche
              Founder - Gobbo Games | Designer - The Colony 2174 (Board Game) | Developer - Riders of Asgard

Comment

I usually only lurk, but..Hey, CodeSpartan. I purchased your kit, and would like to say thanks for putting in all the time to construct it. I look forward to getting some time to build it and see what I can make out of its features!

I would recommend if you are wondering where you should direct some attention (which I doubt!) I'd say take a look at dungeon level instancing, and a basic party system. Those are two things I have been scratching my head about as I try to plan features. The dungeon level instancing more than anything!

Once again, thanks for the efforts!

Comment

@CodeSpartan: In place of cookies can I rather show you my Login Screen?

Name:	Soul Wars - Login Error.png
Size:	523.2 KB
ID:	1065147

As for the naysayers ... not everyone is using this kit for an MMO project. I am using the Updater, Patch System, and Launcher for all my other projects (none of which are an MMO). I am also using the networked Inventory for another project, and the Chat Server us being used for all the projects.

This kit goes beyond the basic MMO and provides a lot of features that are useable in other projects ... even if you just want to see how CodeSpartan tackled it.

Anyway ... the login screen is a re-styled login screen of the MMOKit from CodeSpartan. Took me about 2 hours last night to complete. 8-}
                  Quinton Delpeche

Comment

Awesome to see people putting this to use already on their projects! And I agree that everything done so far on this by Spartan is extremely helpful already regardless of what happens in the future, but I'm certainly excited for any and all updates, loved what I saw in that last sneak peek pic!

I have a general question about blueprints though, what everyone typically says is that blueprints are 10x slower than c++ and for a final game its best to convert it to c++ after all prototyping is done. This is a problem for people more on the 3d art side like me who are not capable of that

Is it really necessary or can you actually make a game with just blueprints (aside from your updater etc.?)

I was thinking about using the shooter game example with this project but the shooter game is c++ so that means I should probably re-create it in blueprints, problem is though if the movement, combat, AI logic, along with your inventory, sql, and everything is all done in blueprints, and theres a few dozen players on a server,
                    Is it actually feasible & possible to have good performance with a final game done with blueprints and no c++ ? 10x slower seems like a big number to non-coders like me, or is c++ just so fast that even that much slower is not going to impact performance that much? I mean for the sake of having a playable alpha? And then if a game so happens to do well then one can pay coders to convert it all
                    Last edited by CyberDev; 01-14-2015, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by qdelpeche View Post
                      @CodeSpartan: In place of cookies can I rather show you my Login Screen?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22433[/ATTACH]

As for the naysayers ... not everyone is using this kit for an MMO project. I am using the Updater, Patch System, and Launcher for all my other projects (none of which are an MMO). I am also using the networked Inventory for another project, and the Chat Server us being used for all the projects.

This kit goes beyond the basic MMO and provides a lot of features that are useable in other projects ... even if you just want to see how CodeSpartan tackled it.

Anyway ... the login screen is a re-styled login screen of the MMOKit from CodeSpartan. Took me about 2 hours last night to complete. 8-}
                      Agree on that statement. This tool has many good uses. Gotta love that login screen :O)

Comment

Hadn't had the time to check it out till earlier, is the demo server down?
                        Twitter - @TheKRushin

Feel free to ask questions and come learn to be an #UnrealDev

How to report a Bug

Comment

Have you thought about cutting up the pack at all and selling a logon screen / launcher so people can pay for what they need (In case they do not want to work on an MMO)?

I understand why it is what it is at the moment, but it's just an idea. I for one would love a launcher without all this other stuff.
                          KITATUS
                          "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

Originally posted by KRushin View Post
                            Hadn't had the time to check it out till earlier, is the demo server down?
                            Hi, I was doing some maintenance, it is back up now.

Have you thought about cutting up the pack at all and selling a logon screen / launcher so people can pay for what they need (In case they do not want to work on an MMO)?

I understand why it is what it is at the moment, but it's just an idea. I for one would love a launcher without all this other stuff.
                            Yes I planned to release the launcher/patcher as a separate product originally (that's why it has separate documentation), but got too busy with the upcoming security and equipment update. I will probably release it after the update. The mmo kit will still have the launcher/patcher in it.
                            MMO Starter Kit
                            Dialogue Plugin
                            Voxel Plugin

Comment

Just proof that it is fairly easy to customise the code supplied by Code Spartan for you own use.

Modified Chat Server (I use a chat server per channel - Global, Trade) and one for the Lobby. There will also be a dynamic spawned Chat Server for each party ... currently I am moving all the chat server code across to a multi-threaded Java system ... but this is the C# for the initial POC release. I have also modified it to do full logging using Log4Net.

Name:	ChatServer.png
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	1065249

This is the modified launcher ... the base font needs to still be changed and I have tweaked a few things since this screen shot ... but it works. 8-}

Name:	Soul Wars - Auto Patcher (English).png
Size:	905.2 KB
ID:	1065250

I am not going to hijack this thread any further ... just wanted to show you all how easy it is to modify this system for your own purposes ... good luck with your projects.
                              Quinton Delpeche

Comment

First, Thanks for making this toolkit!

I've got a problem when I want to login and register;
                                I get the message that I've registered and logged in, but he next screen won't load...

I use version 4.6 of unreal engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X