Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Flowing

Hey,
    I want to make Water Flowing on my map, but I don't know how can I make it.

Current:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	8Nk6Xl9.png
Views:	1
Size:	351.3 KB
ID:	1140571

Expected Result:

Name:	flowing_over_dam3.jpg
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	1140570

Thanks!!

I think the easiest way would be to either use a water/waterfall plane + a material which simulates the movement of the water (like the one which you can find in UDK) or a particle system like in the effect demo

Comment

Originally posted by fighter5347 View Post
      I think the easiest way would be to either use a water/waterfall plane + a material which simulates the movement of the water (like the one which you can find in UDK) or a particle system like in the effect demo
      Thanks, I will try! And the rain, what is the best way?

Comment

Either with rain planes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e3UEGl7YDA (very basic way) or with a particle system (you can find something similar in the effect demo) which is placed over the head of the player (so that the rain particle is just around the player and not over the entire world -> better performance)
        Last edited by fighter5347; 11-08-2014, 07:43 PM.

Comment

You could also simulate the water in an external program. I think this is what epic
          did with the lava in the elemental demo.

Comment

Originally posted by Skynet View Post
            You could also simulate the water in an external program. I think this is what epic
            That is not how it's done, He really needs to model this piece and play with the material and some vertex anim and then fill the collision / overlap with splashes.
            VFX Artist
            Portfolio: Here

Comment

Thanks!
              I already have the particle of the rain (ContentExamples) but how can I expand the range of the particle? It's complicate copy and paste particle for the whole map xD

Comment

Dont place it over the entire map -> just around/over the player (attach it)

Btw, here is how epic games made the waterfall in UDK (probably it works the same in the UE4)

Name:	waterfall.jpg
Size:	332.5 KB
ID:	1060801

Comment

Originally posted by Jakoozie View Post
                  Thanks!
                  I already have the particle of the rain (ContentExamples) but how can I expand the range of the particle? It's complicate copy and paste particle for the whole map xD
                  You need to edit the radius of the particle emitter, double click on the asset and choose the "Cylinder" part of the emitter and increase the size in the details panel as shown in this example:

Name:	rain1.PNG
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1060802

When you increase the size of the area it will decrease how much rain is falling (as it is spread out), so in the "Spawn" tab from the Emitters section change the Rate value as shown below:

Name:	rain2.PNG
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1060803

Hope that helps!
                  Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Yes, but in my case I have to put in whole map, and I need to scale to be like a box to put in the sky, because this particle is circle.

PS: Thanks I will try :3
                    Last edited by Jakoozie; 11-09-2014, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Increase initial location range if you need it to literally cover whole map. Set the particle type to GPU so you can run the required number of particles without crashing the game, it's going to be a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by conan_thanoz02 View Post
                        Increase initial location range if you need it to literally cover whole map. Set the particle type to GPU so you can run the required number of particles without crashing the game, it's going to be a lot.
                        He just needs to optimize his material to occlude on distance.
                        VFX Artist
                        Portfolio: Here

Comment

Originally posted by Skynet View Post
                          Haha, no. The lava is just set of static meshes.

Comment

Is there anyway RealFlow could be used for the particle system? With a very low particle count, of course.

Comment

No, realflow is for CAD, not for games. You'd need an enormous number of particles and expensive shaders to get anywhere near the fidelity you could get from a static mesh anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X