Media Framework Documentation for 4.5 Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RumbleMonk View Post
    I'm interested in using video playback in favour of layered 2d sprites (might be 3-5 sprites at least per component to get the job done). I'd need at least three videos playing at the same time, all three being played on three different sprites in my pawn (which would be 9-15 layered sprites at least in total). Would playing multiple videos at the same time be a bad idea on mobile?
    Can I layer sprites on top of video as an additional option?
    Hope Android support will come in shortly!
    Android support is working in the Master branch now, but didn't make it into 4.6. We've had two videos playing in a level at the same time on a Nexus 5 without problems. One video was 320x480, the other 480x320. We haven't tried three videos. It really comes down to what devices you wish to support. Some Android devices are considerably slower than others.
    Gerke Max Preussner | UE4 Programming Consultant

Logo
    Follow me on Github | Goodreads | Linkedin | Pinterest | SlideShare | Twitter.
    Chat with me as gmpreussner on Discord.

Comment

Originally posted by RaidX View Post
      I really dont get it

Why cant we just call the media player in the lvl blueprint?
      I dont get why I cant put a reference to it in my lvl and lvl blueprint. Am I missing something? I think it is too complicated for nothing
      Hey RaidX, I'm not sure if I fully understand what you're suggesting. Would you like to represent a media player asset as an Actor in the level?

Also, you can use a media player from a Level Blueprint. In your Blueprint, simply create a variable that holds a reference to the media player asset and use that to call media related functions on it.

**Edit**: Just noticed that you already figured this out on your own

Logo

Comment

Ok Well that was stupid
        Now... can I use a .mkv extension in there? I tried but it didnt worked.
        MKV is not supported by any of the available player plug-ins right now.

Logo

Comment

Originally posted by supermario6532 View Post
          Are there any plans to write a VLC Plugin using libVLC (https://wiki.videolan.org/LibVLC/)?
          This would solve issues with playback of certain files as VLC plays everything under the sun and can be used on multiple platforms.
          I agree, a VLC plug-in would be great, but we cannot provide this out of the box in UE4 due to the license that VLC comes with. Someone in the community will have to make this plug-in.

Logo

Comment

Is this available on Mobile yet? I tried messing about with it on Android last night but no luck! :>
            KITATUS
            "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

Originally posted by supermario6532 View Post
              libVLC (the video playback engine used by VLC) is licensed under LGPL. VLC (the video player) is licensed under GPL but that is all the GUI stuff which is not necessary for video playback.

The Unreal Engine FAQ (https://www.unrealengine.com/faq) says that LGPL code is allowed.

So as long as you link libVLC dynamically and not statically, it is allowed.
              And by linking dynamically, you wouldn't even need to include libVLC with your own software if you don't want to, as long as VLC is installed in the computer you could just use the libVLC from the VLC install.

Thanks, I'll have our legal team look at this!

Logo

Comment

Originally posted by KitatusStudios View Post
                Is this available on Mobile yet? I tried messing about with it on Android last night but no luck! :>
                iOS should work (using the AVF player plug-in). Android is mostly working in the Master branch. Some advanced features, such as seeking still need some polish.

Logo

Comment

Hi,
                  Does MediaSoundWave work in 4.6?

It works in the Editor, but when I packaged the project, MediaSoundWave doesn't work anymore... or do I miss something?

Comment

Can we get an update on Media Framework...

DO you plan to update it? are you working to include more format support? Are you working on sound issue? Any new features you plan to add? Do you have a road map for the Media Framework, how is everything going with it?

Comment

I find it too a bit frustrating... I'd love to just be able to put a video texture on a mesh and have it looping just by checking the loop checkbox. right now it's only playing once and all my media is flagged as unseekable / unscrubbable.

Comment

Thanks, I'll have our legal team look at this!
                        Great to hear.

If anyone out there is planning on building a libVLC plugin, I'd highly recommend reading the following post as this is probably the most optimal way to integrate it into UE4.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ctly-in-Engine

Comment

Can we get an update on Media Framework...
                          DO you plan to update it?
                          yep

[QUOTE]are you working to include more format support?

we are currently polishing up iOS and Android. HTML5 is next. after that we will revisit Windows playback.

Are you working on sound issue?
                          not right now, but it's on the to-do list. audio is not functional yet, and we know it.

Any new features you plan to add?
                          the next big change is going to addition of 'media sources', so instead of just setting a file/URL in the Media Player asset you can set up other sources as well, such as webcams and video capture hardware. this is planned for 4.8 right now.

Do you have a road map for the Media Framework, how is everything going with it?
                          there is not an official road map right now. we had to put development on hold for a couple weeks in order to address some higher priority tasks. work should resume later this work though.

Logo

Comment

Awesome thx for the update

Comment

Originally posted by reedandrader View Post
                              Fantastic news!

Do we have support for alpha channels or does transparency work in a similar way to UE3 where you could run a alpha video in the opacity node to get transparency?
                              Has this been addressed yet? I scanned the forum for mention of transparency, but I don't see an answer yet. I've read that other users were able to implement a matte video in the alpha channel, but that they seemed to be out of sync. Anyone have any experience with this?

Comment

Originally posted by RedParis View Post
                                Has this been addressed yet? I scanned the forum for mention of transparency, but I don't see an answer yet. I've read that other users were able to implement a matte video in the alpha channel, but that they seemed to be out of sync. Anyone have any experience with this?
                                Most video formats don't encode an alpha channel. You may be able to whip up something like a green screen effect in the Material Editor?

Logo

Comment

Working...
                                X