Media Framework Documentation for 4.5 Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SplineO View Post
    I just downloaded the 4.5 Content Examples. Am I just blind, or is there no TestMaps folder?
    Uh oh, what a terrible oversight on our part. Turns out that the TestMaps folder is not included in our releases. I will see if I can put the file somewhere and will post an update here soon.
    Gerke Max Preussner | UE4 Programming Consultant

Logo
    Follow me on Github | Goodreads | Linkedin | Pinterest | SlideShare | Twitter.
    Chat with me as gmpreussner on Discord.

Comment

Are any of the .wmv clips you use in the examples available?

Comment

Where do you store your movie files?

Comment

For those of you who'd like to look at the demo map for media playback (which is probably all of you), please download the following zip file:

https://de45xmedrsdbp.cloudfront.net...-143474767.zip

This is the latest version of the demo map and all required assets as of today. It is now called Media.umap, and it uses an MP4 file instead of an WMV file that should also work on MacOS. You can probably just unzip this into your project's /Content/ directory.

This zip file is somewhat unofficial and didn't run by QA, so please let me know if there are any problems! We will push this out officially for everyone in the upcoming 4.5 content update patch. It will then be part of the ContentExamples sample project.

Logo

Comment

Originally posted by documentary View Post
            Where do you store your movie files?
            There's a .mp4 file in the zip above that should also work on MacOS.

Logo

Comment

Is it already possible to control the media playback with blueprints? I can't create a blueprint from the Media Player asset.

Comment

Has anyone been able to get sound to play--particularly in blueprints? If so, I'd love to hear how.

Comment

Thanks for posting the link Max!

I'll check it out later. Looking forward to it!

Comment

I get a problem: the video stream goes well, but i can't hear anything.
                    The MediaSoundWave connecting to my MediaPlayer is always empty.
                    Can anybody help?

Comment

Originally posted by Theokoles View Post
                      Is it already possible to control the media playback with blueprints? I can't create a blueprint from the Media Player asset.
                      Yes, that's possible. The zip file I attached above has a test map with two BP examples. One plays a movie through UMG, the other on a static mesh in the level.

In the Blueprint Editor, right-click to open the context menu, then filter for 'media' to get a list of media related BP functions. You should find things such as Play and Pause. You need to create a MediaPlayer asset in the Content Browser that will be controlled.

Logo

Comment

Originally posted by Allen Liu View Post
                        I get a problem: the video stream goes well, but i can't hear anything.
                        The MediaSoundWave connecting to my MediaPlayer is always empty.
                        Can anybody help?
                        Audio is not fully working yet. In your MediaSoundWave asset, try to select an audio stream - it may not have one selected by default. Either way, audio still needs more work.

Logo

Comment

Support for iOS and MacOS was checked into the Master branch this morning (GitHub commit). It doesn't have all the features of the Windows plug-in yet, but basic playback should work.

Logo

Comment

Originally posted by gmpreussner View Post
                            Yes, that's possible. The zip file I attached above has a test map with two BP examples. One plays a movie through UMG, the other on a static mesh in the level.

In the Blueprint Editor, right-click to open the context menu, then filter for 'media' to get a list of media related BP functions. You should find things such as Play and Pause. You need to create a MediaPlayer asset in the Content Browser that will be controlled.
                            Great, I have figured it out now. My missing step was to create a variable that holds the MediaPlayer so that I can access it in the Blueprint. I was trying to drag and drop the MediaPlayer into the Blueprint, because this works for SoundWave assets.

I see that there is a "Supports Scrubbing" function, but I can't find a function to do the actual scrubbing. I assume that with scrubbing, I can choose for each tick exactly which frame of the video should be displayed? This would be ideal for my project.

Comment

Originally posted by Theokoles View Post
                              I see that there is a "Supports Scrubbing" function, but I can't find a function to do the actual scrubbing. I assume that with scrubbing, I can choose for each tick exactly which frame of the video should be displayed? This would be ideal for my project.
                              You use the Seek() function to set the current playback position. Scrubbing is like seeking, except that it's supposed to take effect immediately.

Please note that scrubbing works better in some video formats than others. In general, compressed videos are not fast enough to support smooth scrubbing (especially when going backwards, because the codecs are optimized for forward play), even though the plug-in may report that scrubbing is supported. If you use something like uncompressed AVI on the other hand (which causes, unfortunately, very large files), scrubbing is much more fun.

Logo

Comment

Hey, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't seem to open up the map from your zipfile. I extracted it into an existing project but I can't seem to figure out how to open the media.umap from the editor? Is there some step I am missing? Fairly new here.

Comment

Working...
                                X