Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does fortnite created different biomes on a tiled landscape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by matan19 View Post
    MostHost LA Importing greyscale images as paint data is a good idea!
    It's a shame edit layers with paint layers doesn't really play nice together, but can still do-able.

Regrding the layers idea - Can you explain that more? I didn't really understand what you mean.
    As far as I know you can either:
    (A) Have 2 layers, 1 for each biome and do the blending in the material. That is problematic since you can't be sure here the border is and has no way (like height sampling) to check it.
    or
    (B) Use 3 layers, 1 for each biome, where the third will be used on the border.

I think you meant (B), In which case:
    (1) What do you mean by the comment about 4 layers? why would one use 4?
    (2) The problem here is drawing the actual border across a a huge map (e.g. 20x20 km, which is huge but possible), which seems like a lot of work compared. It's possible, I'm just wondernig if this is how it's really done.
    ..... this.

Comment

Quoting me quoting you, saynig I couldn't undderstand, won't make me understand the second thing you said that I couldn't understand...

Comment

Make a material with texture parameters and 3 or 4 layes.
        on 4 adjacent tiles you change the instance and customize at least one texture for each.

Assume A, B, C, D. Using 3 texture for example.
        Default mat is grass, mud, rock.

A - sand, grass, rock. blends into B-C
        B - forest, grass, rock. Blends into A-D
        C - grass, mud, snow. Blends into A-D
        D - grass, mud, rock. Blends into B-C

assume they are tiled as

A|B
        C|D

A needs a layer that can blend into both B and C.
        B needs a layer that can blend into A and D. Etc.

If you bump up to 5 layers with some careful paint work you can make the whole landscape have a multitude of different textures for a very little cost. Definitely much less than having 15/20 layers within 1 material.

To apply the instances you open up the level - select unlit if you need to see. Apply the new instance.
        You then return to the worldcomp level, load only that one level and paint. Load the adjacent level after save/unload and paint.

You need to make sure that the same layer has the same texture since the painting can otherwise be problematic when you load multiple levels. Regardless of that, it works. And obviously it works best when you import paint layers done in a 3rd party application.
        Last edited by MostHost LA; 10-21-2020, 02:13 PM.

Comment

MostHost LA Even with all of those instructions, it doesn't explan how is the border created.

Assumnig you're not saying the border is the tile border, since it will then be square.

Comment

What border exactly?
            between the 2 tiles? You use the same material as I explained..

tiles are square, and so are any maps, so I'm not really sure what to make of that.
            Explain?

Comment

Notice the red line I drew - it is the border between the snow areaa and the forest area.
              How do you make that? It's obviously not square.

Also, you keep using the concept "tile" but it's not an Epic concept, so I'm sort of guessing what you mean here.
              Can you define it so we can be sure we're talking about the same thing?

Edit:
              Successfully attached the image this time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ss.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	1824548
              Last edited by matan19; 10-21-2020, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Each landscape in a world composition level is a tile. It behaves like a tile and hooks up like a tile - provided the size is correct.
                together they form the whole (world).

The regions in any game, not just fortnite, don't usually have a "solid" border.
                They transition gradually.

You can achieve this as explained above with a variable layer material.

you manually paint the specific landscape to have the snow layer with whatever transition you like and finally merge it to the same material used within the other tiles/maps so that it is in fact seamless.

Comment

MostHost LA I just wanna say that instead of explaining everythnig you did, you could of just said "hand paint".

I believe I commented about it previously but I'll do it again in cae I didn't:

So one can't actually paint the borders, ,you actually need to paint the entire landscape. That is, if we take the fortnite example, the best thing you can do
                  is clear the entire map with the "light forest", paint all the "dark forest" areas, then paint all the "snow areas", and then paint all the "desert areas".
                  Then go in and manually adjust the the borders in a more thoroughly manner.

While I know this is an option, it just seems like a lot of manual work, specially on really big maps.
                  Do you believe that is what big companies actually do?

Comment

I think you entirely miss the point.

IF the flat png used for the "Grass" layer is called for, but you are in the snow biome, are you going to display the Grass layer? No.... your grass layer becomes the snow. You can therefore swap (or rather than swap use the png on a different layer) grass textures with snow textures.

Now, when you work outside the engine and produce the masks, you just need to keep in mind HOW you blend it.

Very commonly, one layer is exactly the same across all tiles and is used for blending, while the others are instanced separately (by changing the images in the material along with other parameters your master landscape material allows for).

Personally, I use QGis to produce the base layers on which to improve upon.

If you have world machine, I'm sure it can also produce the "famous" splat maps that people often wonder about in formums.

If you use blender you can paint an auto material and bake out the different layers at the appropriate resolution. Mind you that this isn't the same as Qgis accuracy or World Machine, but as a starting point it's rather effective.

Comment

Working...
                    X