Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I Drape an Aerial Image as a Texture over a Landscape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I Drape an Aerial Image as a Texture over a Landscape?

As the title, says, I'm trying to use Aerial imagery taken from the USGS map database and use it as a texture to drape over a height map landscape. I've read a couple articles saying that all i needed to do was plug the .png texture sample into the Emissive Color Pin but I can't get it to work. I was able to import the height-map data to create a landscape but I'm struggling to create the texture to drape over it. I'm fairly new to Unreal and have just started to scratch the surface so please bear with me.
    LINK TO ARTICLE

Aerial Image:

Intended Result:
    Last edited by Disneygame101; 06-29-2020, 05:09 PM.

Import the texture, call it T_Aerial
    Create a new material, call it M_Aerial
    In the new material, drag T_Aerial in as a node and plug it into the Emissive output. Optionally plug a black colors / zero constant into the specular material property to get rid of the shine, or set the material to Unlit, which will remove specular altogether.
    Right click the material output node and add a set of customer UV coodinates. Create a node on it that divides the input UV by a parameter -- set that parameter by default to 505.

Create a new Landscape. In the Material bit of the New Landscape settings, choose your M_Aerial. Note that this won't have the texture layers for painting.
    Import the height texture as usual.
    If the texture doesn't size correctly, adjust the divider value until it covers the area you need.

Click image for larger version

Name:	terrain-divide-texture.png
Views:	57
Size:	465.0 KB
ID:	1782541

Click image for larger version

Name:	terrain-set-material.png
Views:	33
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1782542

Comment

It worked! Thank you so much for helping me out!

Comment

Working...
      X