No announcement yet.

Cinema 4D Workflow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I cant import to Unreal from Cinema , I´ve tried in all the ways I can...

I will post this images, you can see all the passes I follow pass by pass.

I hope someone Could Help me... Ty in Advance...
    Attached Files

Comment

As allready said above, export from C4D R16/R17 with fbx v.6.1 2010
      Enable the checkboxes for "textures and materials" & "embed textures" as well as "normals".
      Triangulation, smoothing etc. should be done before export and if you like you can add a normal tag with the "vertex normal tool" from Frostsoft.

Only add the normal tag after doing the phong angle setup, adding in manual phong breaks by selecting edges and use the "break phong shading" command and most important: after triangulation.
      Otherwise triangulation will break the shading completly.

EDIT:
      oh i see you posted a few pics.

From what i see your issues start way before export.
      You're trying to export a huge ammount of objects at once and some are still parametric objects and generators like boole.
      Also you've done the UV setup for two of them while the rest doesn't even have a single UV tag.
      If you export only the models you've done the setup with UV for, you eventually won't get these errors.

As for the scene itself, i see a lot of things that simply shouldn't be done that way.

For instance:
      - don't model your house from seperated cubes that intersect each other.
      this will guarantee bad lighting with lots of shadow seams and waste a lot of
      lightmap space, especially if you do not delete the unseen faces.

- do not import everything at once/as one model, rather divide the models into seperate objects that make sense.
      like keep the walls ceiling and floor as one model, but have stuff like the cupboards, lights maybe even doors and windows as a own model.

- try to have the door and window size standardized, so that you can create one door and place it in every doorgap.
      usually the door sizes within modern buildings doesn't differe much because there are certain standardisations to follow as well.
      Ofc. there are exceptions like double doors, sometimes smaller doors for bathroom/toilet and if there are special windows that go across edges like in your model,
      but the doors to the main rooms are equaly sized.

I might give you an example on how i would do it if i find time for that later.
      Last edited by kraid; 04-30-2016, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Thanks so much Kraid, I will try to do it all and restart the proyect, I will post my advances, really thanks...

Comment

Here's a quick example including source files:
          http://www.mediafire.com/download/p4...se_example.zip

I only built a lightmap UV for the house itself and didn't bother with grid alignment.
          Didn't even build a collision mesh and used per vertex collision instead, which is ok because of the simple geometrie.
          For windows, doors and placeholder Props i used the lightmap and collision generation of UE4.
          Usually i would do most of it with UCX_ as child objects of the mesh.

Ifv you're interrested in how this is supposed to work, here's another example i made a while ago:
          http://www.mediafire.com/download/l4...uilder_new.zip

The first Example is done for indoor purpose only, this means all the faces of the outside that cannot be seen from the inside are scaled down heavily to save lightmap space.

In the other example this applies only to the top and bottom face of the outside, so these are scaled down.
          Usually there would be a second level or roof above and something below the mesh, too.
          Either do it like i did in the example or delete the top and bottom face completly, since they will never be seen.

Comment

Hey you are the man, I will work on this, thanks so much for this .zips, really appreciated your nice help...

Comment

How to set UV channel 2 in c4d bother me for a long time,this thread is very helpful for me,thank you mate!

Comment

Hi guys, New Update Free Plug-in For C4D Users for GamDev
                Select N' Go and FBX Takes System for Cinema 4D
                Select N' Go Plugin. This nifty little piece of work allows us to export out our work in various formats and in multiple files, it also lets us create takes (clips) for animation export for UE4 or Unity.
                Plugin download: http://www.fieldcreatorsstudios.com/

I just want to share this with you guys!
                Cheers,
                CGI Art, AP Ashton
                Last edited by CGI Art; 02-23-2017, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Just to make it clear:
                  this isn't an alternative exporter, this is a workflow tool that allows you to export selected elements of your scene with the default exporters that come with C4D.
                  If your model has UE4 import issues with the regular exporters, it will have them with this Plugin, too.
                  [MENTION=23001]CGI Art[/MENTION]: not sure why you spam lots of threads with this plugin advertising again and make it look as if this is the answer to all our C4D to UE4 issues.

Comment

[MENTION=29044]kraid[/MENTION] ,Sorry for spam!Kiad and your right on the plugin, sorry again. i thing i just was to happy

Comment

never mind. the plugin can still be usefull.

Comment

About C4D and Character Animation Workflow

Unfortunately Maxon has not made those EXELENTS Character Builder (C4D Modular Rig System), and CMotion (Procedural Animation System), both compatible with Game Engines.

First all, the Rig created contains more than one root (is a multi-root skeleton), making the skeleton incompatible with Unreal Engine.

It is impossible to import in Unreal Engine or change this skeleton in C4D. It has hundreds of constraints and complex xpresso tags for driving CMotion animations and IK solvers very different from the commonly used.

Baked animations can be imported perfectly. But without a skeleton are completely useless in Unreal Engine.

I had to practically recreate the entire rig and animation in Maya again.

More than a week of work thrown away, just because I did not know that the Unreal does not accept multi-root skeleton, and besides all without a main-root in 0,0,0.

But is this proposal! If anyone here has contact with Maxom. Please ask them to make CMOTION and Character Builder compatible with Game Engines like Unreal or Unity. Or tell me if there is a practical solution to this

Was wonderful when I managed to do this in C4D in less than one minute without touching any joint or controller. But....

PS .: Animation created in C4D does not work in sketchfab also .

luny
                        Last edited by lunyBunny; 05-18-2016, 11:21 AM. Reason: Procerural to Procedural
                        lunybunny.com
                        lunybunny.com

Comment

You can import a Character made with Cinemas Character tools if you do a few minor alternations to it's hierarchy to get rid of the multi-root issue.

Ofc. you'll need to convert the Character Object to an editable Object and rearrange a few things.

For this Example i used the female_clothed character found in the content browser (presets>studio>3D Objects>humans)

First of all i created a CMotion by adding a walking animation in the Character Object, because after converting the Character Object it's not as easy to set up.
                          Next i converted the Character Object, converted the bind_null to a null joint and started rearranging the Subobjects.
                          I ended up with the hierarchy you can see below.

On import to UE4 i had to do a Rotation of Roll 90° for the animation to prevent the model doing it's animations lying on the back.
                          But beside of that it transfered just fine.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	character_hierarchy01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1106628

Comment

Hi there,

has anyone by chance managed to export PoseMorphs/Blendshapes from Cinema 4D (R14) to UE4 (4.11)?

I'm using a FUSE-Mesh with some blendshapes which needs some tweaking inside Cinema 4D. The PoseMorphs are there and working within Cinema 4D. I tried like every FBX export option inside C4D. The supported FBX-Versions are 7.2, 7.1 and 6.1.
                            Maybe they have to be baked inside Cinema 4D or something, or do I need a newer FBX-Version?

The Mesh itself, bone structure and animations work perfectly when exported from Cinema 4D to UE4.

When I import the FUSE-Mesh directly they are also properly imported to UE4.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Hi everyone,

My name is Alexandre. I am an architect and I just begin to explore the realtime archviz with UE4. . My workflow is Archicad / Cinema 4D / UE4. I followed JayCox instructions to UVW maps and export/import to unreal but I had some scaling / deformation problems with textures in almost all my UVW meshes. I passed throw all the process a second time to see if I made an error but i didn't find anything wrong. I took some screenshot of my workflow that i would like to share with you. Maybe someone with more experience can find the problem.

An interesting fact is when I export/import my project directly from archicad to UE4 without making any change in cinema 4D and asking to UE4 to generate lightmap UV, I don't get this problem, but I read in others topics that it may generate some futur problems with lightmap.

I am new to this forums... I hope I am posting in the right place... I am sorry if I am wrong.

thanks in advance!

Alex of Entrestudio

some example of UVW creation
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Matthew J; 08-01-2016, 04:03 PM. Reason: Removed full size images as the post was too long
                              EnTRE+ Architects
                              Arq. Alexandre Larouche
                              http://www.entrestudio.com

Comment

As for the first warning about the smoothing groups, there's nothing that can be done (beside using cactus dans fbx exporter),
                                but you can just ignore it, since smoothing will still import unless there are other issues.
                                I also noticed some of your meshes do not have a phong tag and because of this no smoothing at all.

The face material inconsistency is usually caused by a wrong tag setup. Try to have the material tags of all objects on the very left of the stack.
                                If you get a face material inconsistency for a mesh, it won't import your material selections and instead create a default material and assign it to the whole mesh.

Also use "import normals and tangents" on import settings, but make sure all of your meshes have a phong tag prior to export.

When looking at your auto-generated UV maps, i can tell you that you will run into many issues with them.
                                Not only that they will make it neccessary to use a much bigger lightmap texture scale because of the bad UV space usage,
                                they are also split on surfaces that belong together, possibly causing visible lighting seems across these surfaces.

I was going to post some examples for a better understanding of how to get your scene from C4D to UE4, but it looks like they are allready in the same thread just on page #1:
                                https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post522689

Make sure to take a look at the example with the source files included.

A few more general hints:
                                - try to combine meshes in C4D that make sense to be combined
                                e.g. you might want to have a cupboard as a single object rather then split into two or more, but you certainly don't want it to be combined with a wall.
                                - try to avoid importing whole scenes including all props at once. Rather place stuff like chairs cupboards etc. in Unreal especially if there is more then one instance of them.
                                - Ideally you place their pivot of these props in a good spot that makes it easy to place the prop in UE4.
                                e.g. something that is meant to be placed on a floor should have it's pivot at it's bottom, while a wallight might be better off with a pivot at it's back.
                                - make sure to know how a lightmap UV and also a Material UV should look like, auto-unwrap won't give you the best results in most cases.
                                - same for Collision Meshes, in most cases auto generated collision will be inferior to hand crafted collision in terms of ammount of shapes used for collision and therefor performance.
                                If you only need simple box collision or a single convex shape for a model use UE's Mesh Editor to create it, if you need several pieces, rather build them with UCX_ meshes in the 3d App.
                                - if your scene is lit by sunlight from outside, make sure that the walls and models have a backside even if they are not visible from the "players" view.
                                Ofc. you should scale down the lightmap UVs for these faces to a minimum to save preciouse UV space.

Comment

Working...
                                X