Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to move a landscape object dynamically...is this possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by MostHost LA View Post
    I meant it in general, to try and achieve what the OP wants to achieve - not for testing purposes.
    Also Loading/Unloading to get the rotation happening seems "heavy" as a general idea, It could work, but it would probably depend highly on how the landscape runs...
    Too heavy for tick for sure. Randomizing a level periodically / procedural level design it should be fine (single-player anyway).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I meant it in general, to try and achieve what the OP wants to achieve - not for testing purposes.
    Also Loading/Unloading to get the rotation happening seems "heavy" as a general idea, It could work, but it would probably depend highly on how the landscape runs...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MostHost LA View Post
    Seems like a lot of extra work to me.
    In general, or just to do a test? For testing, its just one BP node, so it couldn't be less work. Anyway it was just an experiment to see if UE4 prevents rotating / moving a landscape at run-time (before that I wasn't sure if Landscapes could be streamed with a different orientation versus what was set / fixed at design time). Overall, its hard to understand why you can't just move / rotate a Landscape at runtime like any other actor. Overall, its tricky to get meshes to look as good as landscapes. But I prefer meshes anyway as the engine is far more robust with them.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ClavosTech View Post
    The answer is YES (in single player anyway) if you can work with level streaming.
    Varying location / rotation works (plus spawning varying amounts of landscapes).
    Seems like a lot of extra work to me.
    Depending on the situation it may be better to load up the landscape as a mesh.

To do this:
    1) Export the landscape
    2) Edit the FBX - you need to separate the tiles, but create the Empties for the LODs to maintain.
    3) Import the new FBX (should be imported as separate mehses).
    4) Add all the tiles to the screen. The position/offset should be kept if you did the import correctly.
    5) Select all the tiles and create an actor with them.

From there you can just rotate the actor however you see fit.

Coloring/styling the landscape is a different issue now. you need to setup a different system with layer masks to get the different layers onto the landscape. Thing is, you can make it More expensive by having a high res material on each tile, Or less expensive by having a general material on all tiles. How you go about that depends on how fast you need the landscape object to rotate in your project.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ClockworkOcean View Post
    This question keeps cropping up. Unless I'm mistaken, there's no way to do this.

A better way is to make the LS from a mesh, or a number of meshes. Then you can move it/them around.
    I'm tempted to say its not possible because its not simple. So its meshes or voxels etc.
    But I wonder if it is possible using something like 'Load Level Instance'. Anyone know?

EDIT:

The answer is YES (in single player anyway) if you can work with level streaming.
    Varying location / rotation works (plus spawning varying amounts of landscapes).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by whaleyboy View Post
    I have a landscape object which I need to rotate while the game is playing. It is not possible to set the landscape object as moveable however. Is there a way to use blueprints or code to accomplish this?

Thanks!
    This question keeps cropping up. Unless I'm mistaken, there's no way to do this.

A better way is to make the LS from a mesh, or a number of meshes. Then you can move it/them around.

Leave a comment:

• Need to move a landscape object dynamically...is this possible?

I have a landscape object which I need to rotate while the game is playing. It is not possible to set the landscape object as moveable however. Is there a way to use blueprints or code to accomplish this?

Thanks!
Working...
X