Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blender 2.8 boolean modifier messes up lightmaps

Hi everyone!

I'm very new to UE4 and blender, so please bear with me.
    I'm trying to create a Bauhaus style building in blender 2.8 to add in my UE4 environment, with a garage gate that has trapezoid inlays (see attached pictures). In blender, everything looks OK, but when I import it in UE4, everything is messed up (also, see pictures).
    What really drives me nuts, though, are the lightmaps. If I apply the modifiers before exporting, I get the shown results and the messed up geometry.
    If I don't apply the modifiers, I can't adjust the lightmaps.

How do you guys deal with messed up geometry caused by boolean modifiers in blender (or how do you avoid the mess)? And mostly, how do you adjust the lightmaps? The lighing is currently my biggest problem (I think) and I haven't found any good, easy to understand tips in the forum, answer hub or youtube. What I've found is either too specific or too simple.
    Can someone maybe give me a link to an intermediate lightmap tutorial for dummies? As I said, I'm new to the whole 3D shebang and already way over my head by just trying to import something. x_x
    Any help is much appreciated!
    Last edited by ManticoreSigma; 09-24-2019, 09:00 AM. Reason: Added tags

You shouldn't be using booleans to model details like that, you're going to end up with bad geometry like you have because it can't connect the edges the way it would need to.

Instead, you'd need to create loops and use things like extrusions and insets to create those shapes so that it gets nice topology.

Comment

Here is my hack: 1.export 2. fbx>reimport in new Blender Scene 3.merge everything with ctrl "j" 4. unwrap with "u" and smart UV projection 5.export and import to UE4. This will mess up ur texture UVs, so you have to make sure that all the meshes in step 3. have only one (or same amount of) UV Set, then you merge and create a second UV Set( for the lightmaps). In Ue4 you have to go in the static mesh and adjust the "destination lightmap index" map to the UV Set you want to bake the lightmaps to.
      http://shapeworks.prosite.com/

Comment

Working...
      X