Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So many meshes in this asset - is it wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So many meshes in this asset - is it wrong?

Hi,

I obtained a series of assets but I'm doubting how much "game engine ready" these really are.

See the pictures; This gun looks pretty well designed (image 1) until you grab the mesh... oh wait, is there two? Three meshes? Ok, that's a total of 53 "prims" (primitives, I suppose - meshes, I guess).

I'm still quite novice at 3D design, but it seems to me that "as little meshes as possible" sounds like a good rule. The model I split here has one material per mesh, so importing this in Unreal for instance creates so many materials it raised an eyebrow.

Is this acceptable? If not, how wrong is it?

Moreover, when importing this into Unreal, it looks all black - different topic (lightmaps missing I guess, but that escapes me right now)...
    Last edited by dercetech; 09-23-2019, 06:32 PM.

It's fine to have meshes that aren't welded to each other, but those would be separate "elements" within one mesh. You'd split them off if you needed to do certain things like switching them out with other objects or doing some kind of animation thing, but ultimately you want to keep as few separate objects as possible.
    In that situation the big issue will be materials, it should be set up to use one material because there's nothing on there that would benefit from being a separate material. You'd need to check and make sure what's going on there, if they're all a black material they should be combined, if they're using textures then it should be one texture that contains everything.
    A game-ready mesh would not be separated in actual separate objects in that way and wouldn't use a unique material for each one. Things would be combined as much as possible.

Also, you don't need lightmaps for objects that are going to be animated. Lightmaps are only for static objects, since they store lighting that can't be changed.

Comment

When you import fbx there is an option to combine
      https://www.casualdistractiongames.com

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your answer darthviper107.

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
        It's fine to have meshes that aren't welded to each other, but those would be separate "elements" within one mesh. You'd split them off if you needed to do certain things like switching them out with other objects or doing some kind of animation thing, but ultimately you want to keep as few separate objects as possible.
        Ok, I understand :-) Separate parts are then good for a game where you assemble relevant parts and/or replace the barrel, stock, etc.

In that situation the big issue will be materials, it should be set up to use one material because there's nothing on there that would benefit from being a separate material. You'd need to check and make sure what's going on there, if they're all a black material they should be combined, if they're using textures then it should be one texture that contains everything.
        Perfect, got it. I have some cleanup / prep work to unify the materials and try my best to group all the UVs in a single picture. That's a challenge regarding my skillset. Will help learning :-)

A game-ready mesh would not be separated in actual separate objects in that way and wouldn't use a unique material for each one. Things would be combined as much as possible.
        Ok, got it. Single texture with all the bits to map. Will do :-)

Also, you don't need lightmaps for objects that are going to be animated. Lightmaps are only for static objects, since they store lighting that can't be changed.
        Ok, I've bought a Udemy class on that topic (Unreal assets made in Blender, there's a great sales going on). I must miss something crucial in my imports. I'll post again on that topic if I don't find why my meshes are black.

I definitely thank you for your explanations! These help my in the right direction.

Comment

Hi OptimisticMonkey ,

Originally posted by OptimisticMonkey View Post
          When you import fbx there is an option to combine
          Ok, I haven't seen the option in my Blender .fbx exporter; but I've added this topic to my learning checklist.

Thanks for your input!

Comment

The combine option is in UE4 when you import something. If you have separate objects then it will combine them, but sometimes you want to export a multiple objects in the same file so you turn that option off for that.

Comment

Working...
            X