Shadow not connected to 3rd person character

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shadow not connected to 3rd person character

Having a strange issue with lighting and shadows, in that the shadow isnt connected to the feet of my 3rd person character. Literally no idea what to do to fix it. It is like this after building lighting

Can anyon offer any advice on what the issue might be?

Comment

Well, I've not had time to try to setup similar ENV, but , a shot at it might be you are projecting it from a lightsource with that angle set.
      My knowledge of lights is kinda limited to terrain,so in light of no one else responding, and knowing what it feels like, thats all I can offer atm

SHORT of that, what ARE your setup,scene details.
      Solo but Seismic - feel free to apply
      https://neighborlee1.wixsite.com/theheartseed

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I’m away from my computer for the weekend, but I am definitely lighting it from above. Given the angles in of the screenshot and when I test it, the shadow looks like it is projected from beneath

Comment

Making sure we're on the same page, there is a widget of sorts,you can see only when lightsource is focused on, and there is this smallISh 'arrow' you can use rotate it making sure of its intended area/angle.

Verify that when you have time away from weekend- sounds fun !

Comment

Very obviously looks like you have a light casting from under the floor. Not just inferring that from the shadow either, all of your scenes lighting looks like it is coming from under the floor.

Mesh backfaces are culled and will not occlude light so you need to be careful not to place them clipping through surfaces.

If this is a consistent problem across the entire level and not just this one room, odds are it is a directional light.

Comment

As my game is set on the moon, could it be bounce light if the surface is bright? I know I haven’t put any lighting under the floor, and the only lighting in the photo should be coming from the blood doorway on the side

Comment

Well, sometimes positioning a light , might look like its not underneath floor, but you may find it is on closer look- focus light,rotate around by holding Alt-LMB and see.
                worth a try-

Comment

Originally posted by Ben4886 View Post
                  As my game is set on the moon, could it be bounce light if the surface is bright? I know I haven’t put any lighting under the floor, and the only lighting in the photo should be coming from the blood doorway on the side
                  Bounce light does not cast hard shadows. It can cast soft shadows on static meshes if you are using distance fields, and dynamic soft shadows on skeletal meshes if you are using capsule shadows. But it can't cast a cascaded shadow map which is what you have in your screenshot.

If you can't find it then it could be a directional light above the floor but oriented so that it is pointing up, or it could be a component of a blueprint you created.

Comment

Working...
                  X