Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neat! Thanks ConverseFox!

Comment

Pretty much all of my questions have been answered so far - thanks everyone! New set of questions now.

I'm now wondering about virtual texturing. I've enabled it and it just works on landscapes, which is nice. But the specific task I'm trying to do is:

1. Use a single material for all tiles (easier to import and set up, no manual per-tile stuff)
      2. Import high res detail maps per tile into a virtual texture
      3. Have everything automatically assigned

I've worked out so far that if I switch to a UDIM naming scheme for my tiles they should import to a single virtual texture. I haven't tried this yet but I'm going to today.

Do I just reference this virtual texture (plus offsets) in the material? What do the LandscapeCoord nodes when used in tiled worlds? I guess I can just use world coordinates instead though, which should do the trick.

I'll report back with the results.
      Last edited by Antidamage; 09-14-2019, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Good progress. You can import UDIMs as virtual textures. Still doing it myself, but here's how it works:

First, export your tiled set from World Machine. Then use a script to rename everything (I'll upload one later when I've polished it a bit).

From there, just import the FIRST tile into UE, suffixed 1001. It should find all of the others and load them in as well.
        Last edited by Antidamage; 09-15-2019, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Well, things won't import as virtual textures. I had some messed up numbering that start at 1010, and that imported as a (badly arranged) virtual texture. But when all of the numbers are correct and start at 1001 it just imports the one image. Kind of annoying.

I've poured through the small amount of code that handles this and it seems fine, so I don't know what's up.

Edit: I just figured it out. The base names before the UDIM ID all have to be the same.
          Last edited by Antidamage; 09-15-2019, 09:36 PM.

Comment

You can't trust the Landscape Coords node with a tiled world build, and honestly, it seems like it's impossible to move the tiles around as a group, even with the tricks I found online. They always snap back to their old position.

I ended up figuring out the top/left and width/height of the landscape and storing them in a material collection parameter and a blueprint so they can align the landscape materials and be used for other things later.

I'm processing the landscape tiles into static mesh LODs again now (mostly to maintain an uninterrupted view distance as much as performance) and then I'm going to figure out how much stuff I can put down on the world, whether I need to set it up in streaming levels as well, and how well I can HLOD everything. Then I'll get back into the main reason for doing this: developing a better procedural foliage system.

I also discovered another thing: make sure you set manual pagefiles and jack your virtual memory up to around 100gb. Even if you don't end up using it, it'll solve the main reason why you might crash when processing lots of landscape LODs at once.
            Last edited by Antidamage; 09-16-2019, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Just a reminder,no insult to WM users obviously, if you can't afford WM pro, or don't want to use it, whatever, l3dt PRO is now free ,and its similar enough overall to make it quite the equalizer.
              Solo but Seismic - feel free to apply
              https://neighborlee1.wixsite.com/theheartseed

Comment

I'll give it a quick eval.

Yeah this might be alright for making a quick test map, but it isn't a patch on World Machine. Another option would be to just use Photoshop.

Given that I3dt can do tiles, it's probably reasonable to make your single full-res terrain in WM Free, then split it into tiles using I3dt and the previous output as the input map. That's what I do with two versions of WM Pro currently to get around tiled world crashes. Version 3 for generation, version 2 for tiling the results. This also gets around issues with devices that don't like tiled worlds.
                Last edited by Antidamage; 09-16-2019, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Sounds very reasonable !

Comment

So far, the best terrain generation is Houdini.
                    Unfortunately you need a full on license to even test an import, but the algorhytms that power all aspects of the terrain making process are just so far superior to anything else I have ever seen...

Comment

Yes ,Houdini is incredible,,I do use Apprentice can't afford anything else and yes all that can export faik are obj's ,non starter . TONS of tuts for terrain alone, shame more can't afford it as I can only imagine what would be made with it .By full do you mean Houdini Core with or w/o FX ?

Comment

I'll have to give Houdini a burl. In general though I found doing anything in Houdini to be far, far too much work. Great results, but the effort gives me pause.

Comment

I think even Fx would work.
                          my issue was importing into unreal, you need a license so you can't actually test anything without paying.

watch this if you are actually using it. Skip through to get ideas.
                          https://vimeo.com/358912099

the workflow I actually find simple. But then again I am used to blender where to do something I have to break out the thinking cap and make my own plugin so....

Comment

Working...
                          X