Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on how to remove head bob from a True First Person character?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on how to remove head bob from a True First Person character?

Hey everyone. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how you could remove the "head bob" associated with a True First Person character where you use a third person setup and then parent the camera to the head bone?

My first thought is to just remove any Z motion on the pelvis in the animations but this comes at a cost of not looking as good in terms of animation. Granted you probably wouldn't notice in first person but I just figured I'd post here to see if anyone else has successfully tackled the subject or has any ideas on how it could be done?
    Last edited by TorQueMoD; 05-27-2019, 12:49 AM.
    -TorQueMoD
    www.torquemod.com

Dont attach the Camera to the Head or any bone

Comment

I think I recall Star Citizen doing a video about head bob and using a true first prison camera.

Comment

Maybe do some funky full body IK that softens the bobbing for a locally controlled player.

Comment

https://youtu.be/_7GG0y8Jmcs?t=730

- Eye stabilization

- Horizon alignment

- Head stabilization for extreme motions

Comment

Originally posted by Raildex_ View Post
            Dont attach the Camera to the Head or any bone
            If you do that though, your character's body can clip through the camera in some animations so it doesn't work. I Tried it already.

ZacD Thanks for the video! Yeah, I think it's going to be a little difficult for me to code an eye and head stabilization system so I think I'll just go with stripping out the Z movement from the animations I'm using since my results aren't this extreme. Mostly I'm just experiencing extra bouncing.

I did come up with another idea that I've tested and it works quite well which was to actually just use a typical First Person setup and then add in the third person body and sync the movements to the player's by using Aim Offsets. This eliminates the camera bob entirely and also gives you a pretty realistic shadow response too but it means you need completely separate animations for the hands and body which makes for a lot of extra work.
            Last edited by TorQueMoD; 05-27-2019, 02:08 PM.
            -TorQueMoD
            www.torquemod.com

Comment

A simple way is to use spring arm, make it child of the character mesh, then set springarm Parent socket to Head, don t forget to check use pawn control, then place camera child of camera boom.
              Camera is now true fps with no shake at all, if it shake you have made a mistake, add some camera lag for even less shake ( it shake a bit tbh )
              https://streamable.com/8i7o0 ( without camera lag )

Comment

Yeah, does a spring arm work still for True First Person? I figured it would mess with the rotation but I'll try that later tonight and let you know if it works. Thanks!
                -TorQueMoD
                www.torquemod.com

Comment

Are you using the rotation from the head bone or the controller?
                  Rule#21: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Comment

Originally posted by TorQueMoD View Post
                    If you do that though, your character's body can clip through the camera in some animations so it doesn't work. I Tried it already.
                    Fix your animations. Not the answer you probably want to hear, but it's what you should be doing. In these systems it is common for the camera to have a dedicated bone, and for animations to be authored with this in mind.

Comment

If you look in the first person template, you see that there is no head, so there's nothing that can clip into the camera. You probably want to have two different meshes, one for the first person view, and another for third person view, and just hide the one that isn't relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by nilamo View Post
                        If you look in the first person template, you see that there is no head, so there's nothing that can clip into the camera. You probably want to have two different meshes, one for the first person view, and another for third person view, and just hide the one that isn't relevant.
                        A True First Person perspective is where you actually have a full body present on screen. I know how a typical first person setup works but thanks
                        -TorQueMoD
                        www.torquemod.com

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post

Fix your animations. Not the answer you probably want to hear, but it's what you should be doing. In these systems it is common for the camera to have a dedicated bone, and for animations to be authored with this in mind.
                          As is pointed out in that Star Citizen video that ZacD linked to, there's a lot of head movement in mocapped animations so it's hard to avoid clipping while also keeping the camera in the right location for the body to look correct. I think that's why you often see it where the head is removed and added in for shadows only which is probably the easier way to do this.
                          -TorQueMoD
                          www.torquemod.com

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel Brunner View Post
                            A simple way is to use spring arm, make it child of the character mesh, then set springarm Parent socket to Head, don t forget to check use pawn control, then place camera child of camera boom.
                            Camera is now true fps with no shake at all, if it shake you have made a mistake, add some camera lag for even less shake ( it shake a bit tbh )
                            https://streamable.com/8i7o0 ( without camera lag )
                            This worked perfectly for me. This worked better than I had ever imagined. Thanks for this!

Comment

Originally posted by CashCache View Post

This worked perfectly for me. This worked better than I had ever imagined. Thanks for this!
                              Would you mind giving some more details on what you did because I tried this and it didn't work. What was the length of your camera boom for example?
                              -TorQueMoD
                              www.torquemod.com

Comment

Working...
                              X