Landscape Grass Type Max Density limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landscape Grass Type Max Density limit

In previous versions of UE4, the Landscape Grass Type did not have a limit to how high we could set the density. In version 4.22, it caps at 1000. Is this a bug? feature? Is there a way to override the setting?

Bump. This is a problem I'm running into too. Are they trying to get me to use a larger mesh to get more coverage?

Comment

Probably a performance thing. I ran into the same problem but will just add more grass to the base mesh instead.

Comment

arbitrary limits drive me crazy, how do we override?

Comment

you can usually, and almost always, manually type in amounts above the slider maximum without any issue.

Comment

This is UI clamped to 1000 so you can't manually type in a higher number but it looks like you can adjust the limit in the LandscapeGrassType.h header file.The UPROPERTY to adjust is GrassDensity.

Edit: Just tested it out by altering that header file and it works fine to up the density limit.
            Last edited by redletterday86; 05-21-2020, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Hi,
              I'm also running into this issue. Currently the only solution will be for me to modify my assets to include more geo. That has side effects though. It would have to use a larger surface area, meaning that smaller hills/details will have floating grass etc.
              Not 100% sure on this. But I'm faily sure the grasstypes system is instanced to reduce drawcalls, so why would more density matter other than to reduce polycount. As long as designers keep an eye on the polycount and don't do silly stuff (too many material id's etc) then why not unlock it (Like all other sliders in UE4!). Would be great to have this option back!
              Cheers,
              Joe
              Brushify is a complete landscape solution and shader infrastructure for Unreal Engine 4.
              Get Brushify on Unreal Marketplace: www.brushify.io

Comment

... I'm curious as to what it is that you are making to be able to afford over 1000 draw calls per 10 square meters.

What happens if you add trees to the landscape with so many calls literally wasted on grass?

Moreover, if your grass mesh is a patch of 1mx1m you only need a density of 10 to cover the area. You can bump it up to 20 and get a really lush looking zone.
                If your mesh is a single bundle of grass it would probably still cover at least a 25cmx25cm area...
                That should mean a density of 40 would cover the same area and a density of 80 would look decently lush...

Either way, performance degrades rapidly at 4k, using a 1mx1m mesh at 2,350 to 294 tris set up to cull in less than 5 meters you get decent performance up to 100 density, and a drop of over 30fps with 1000 compared to none (use grass.flushcache).

Refer to this for more tips?
                https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...cks/index.html

Not sure that helps any, as your marketplace content is generally on point...

Comment

Working...
                X