Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the .uasset textures are so big compared to the origianl .jpg textures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Thank you all for the replies, I think I'm going to use PNGs because they support Alpha.

My problem is the total size of my project becomes so big because I don't use JPGs anymore. JPGs are not that bad, most of google images are JPGs and they are good. The only big problem with JPG is it doesn't support alpha and a true artist uses alpha.

I care about project size because I always make many copy backups of my project if something goes wrong like not undo-able things, if the project is so big then the copies take many times. And BACKUPS are IMPORTANT for me. Suppose that my project is so big as 5 GB then the copy as backup will take forever because there are many of them.
    Last edited by mandaxyz; 05-15-2019, 03:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Make sure it's a power of 2 in resolution (like 512x512 or 1024x2048, etc). Don't use jpgs for textures, you don't want a texture going through compression twice. PNGs or TGA are the most common working format for artists.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Quite possibly also needs to store mipmap data.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Game engines have to compress textures to a specific format, it doesn't matter what the original source was it all gets converted to the same compression formats depending on what the texture is being used for. So a 1024 x 1024 texture is the same size whether the original source was a JPG or an uncompressed TGA

Leave a comment:

• replied
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/...essionSettings

Leave a comment:

• replied
    size of the source file doesnt determine size in packaged build.
    Easy as that.

and jpg is the worst format to choose from

Leave a comment:

• Why the .uasset textures are so big compared to the origianl .jpg textures?

There are 13 jpg files with total size 3.53 MB, and the total size of their .uasset textures is 23.4 MB, that's so big, almost 7 times bigger than the JPGs, there is no compression. I double clicked on the asset then turn on "Compress Without Alpha" but it doesn't work.

The total size of my unreal engine project is about 500 MB and most of the big files are textures, then just imagine if unreal engine has a good compression then the total size of my project will be approximately (500 MB / 7 x 2 = 142 MB), I multiplied by 2 because JPGs are accompanied with .uasset, but that compression doesn't exist in unreal engine, it's a feature proposal.
    Last edited by mandaxyz; 05-15-2019, 02:21 AM.
Working...
X