Matching the Texture and Shadows of 2 Separate Walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matching the Texture and Shadows of 2 Separate Walls

As you can see in the image, I have a wall, and the opening on that wall is covered with another wall, kind of like a hidden passage. When the user gets close to that "opening" the small wall disappears and opening appears. Before the user gets into the proximity of the "hidden wall", I would like to see no difference between the two walls, it should look like one. Even though I've adjusted the the texture size, and the brightness of the material, you can still tell there is something there.

What am I doing wrong? Or any suggestions?

Is that static or dynamic lighting? I'm assuming regardless, your movable wall is lit with dynamic lighting.

If the surrounding area is lit by static lighting, you have 2 options:
    1) Increase the density for Volumetric Lightmaps in this area to create a smoother result on the dynamic object. It looks like the object is already using this, but the density could be too low to not catch the light falloff
    2) Depending on how the wall moves, you could enable, "Light As If Static" to bake lighting on it, which will move with the object. This is easiest solution that would match the surrounding area, but it's dependent on if the door moves enough to make the baked lighting look incorrect. It might not even be noticeable if the object is just completely lit like in the screenshot

Lighting Artist @ Rockstar Games
    ArtStation
    Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by rosegoldslugs View Post
      Is that static or dynamic lighting? I'm assuming regardless, your movable wall is lit with dynamic lighting.

If the surrounding area is lit by static lighting, you have 2 options:
      1) Increase the density for Volumetric Lightmaps in this area to create a smoother result on the dynamic object. It looks like the object is already using this, but the density could be too low to not catch the light falloff
      2) Depending on how the wall moves, you could enable, "Light As If Static" to bake lighting on it, which will move with the object. This is easiest solution that would match the surrounding area, but it's dependent on if the door moves enough to make the baked lighting look incorrect. It might not even be noticeable if the object is just completely lit like in the screenshot
      The movable wall actually doesn't move, I use an effect called "materialize" which I believe uses shaders to make the wall go away. For your first suggestion, do I add a lightmass importance volume in that area to handle that?

Comment

Working...
      X