Full Blender support for UE4 in 2019?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full Blender support for UE4 in 2019?

I know UE4 support blender basically but not without problems with rigs and scaling. Does UE4 support Blender 2.8 officially? Unity engine has supported blender with no problems. Has UE4 fixed this yet? I hate having to pay for Maya LT yearly and it sucks as a program overall compared to the new Blender 2.8.

Well actually, I believe I found a work around for some of these issues. What blender grid scale are you using?

Comment

The support goes the other way around, Blender needs to make have better export features.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
        The support goes the other way around, Blender needs to make have better export features.
        How should they improve? I'm curious.

Comment

The workflow between Blender 2.8 and Unreal Engine while not prefect is still workable.
          UE4 Tutorials for 3rd person Blueprint project from scratch: Youtube Channel
          Use Blender 2.8 to make UE4 compatible animations: Blog

Comment

The engine devs opted to follow industry standards while interfacing with formats: obj, fbx, alembic, glTF, and every other 3D tool follows the same. If you want to create a 3D tool you need to follow those standards if you want other tools to import your content, therefore what darthviper107 wanted to say is that Blender needs to improve that interface, which essentially is generating a more rich FBX content. I do use Blender and when I try to do something simple as I do in 3DS Max and it does not happen painless.

Waves I am going to check that Blog!
            Nilson Lima
            Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
            Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
            supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

NilsonLima You can make the argument of who 'needs' to do what. But if we look at which side of the divide involves the least amount of work to get a working solution. I think the choice would be on the Unreal Engine side of things rather than Blender.

FBX is a closed format, its official import sdk can not be incorporated into Blender. Everything on that side will always be guesstimates. Better to handle this with a custom Blender aware importer in Unreal Engine. Given how many people this effects and how much easier it would make development for smaller teams. Epic Games stands to gain a lot from providing this kind of support, it would be totally justifiable.
              UE4 Tutorials for 3rd person Blueprint project from scratch: Youtube Channel
              Use Blender 2.8 to make UE4 compatible animations: Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Waves View Post
                NilsonLima You can make the argument of who 'needs' to do what. But if we look at which side of the divide involves the least amount of work to get a working solution. I think the choice would be on the Unreal Engine side of things rather than Blender.

FBX is a closed format, its official import sdk can not be incorporated into Blender. Everything on that side will always be guesstimates. Better to handle this with a custom Blender aware importer in Unreal Engine. Given how many people this effects and how much easier it would make development for smaller teams. Epic Games stands to gain a lot from providing this kind of support, it would be totally justifiable.
                It is known Blender's Eevvee was made using Unreal Engine as a model to follow and as Unreal Engine source code is available to everyone, it is really easy for Blender devs to look into it, since they are already familiar with the source code when they studied to make Eevvee, so it is a very tiny and specific reverse engineering to learn what UE cares about inside the FBX and how, and apply the knowledge in Blender.

I do agree with you that it is Epic's best interest, but they are already with tons of things (and bugs) to go after, and if they didn't provide the engine source code I am sure there would be no excuses. It is also Blender's best interest to make ppl move from other tools, more than would ever be Epic's interest.
                Nilson Lima
                Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

Hi, please check this (link). Maybe it will be interesting for you.
                  https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...n-in-ue4-world

Comment

Working...
                  X