I want to create a game, but I need to know a few things before proceeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to create a game, but I need to know a few things before proceeding

I created a wonderful story, but I don't know where to start at all. I want to know if there any way for anyone to help me with this project. I have a pretty good idea what I want for my project, but I don't have the knowledge to make it happen. I am currently studying the Unreal Engine on my own time, but I hope I can be a great game designer. I have a few months before I transfer to Full Sail University, but I can't stop thinking about my dream of making a game on my own. If you know forums that could help me that would be great for me to do research on

Game Mechanics I want to put in my game
    A day to day calendar (I want to give my game a more realistic vibe) I haven't seen someone asked this or maybe I missed their forum
    A battle system like the tales of series
    A transition when an enemy touches your character takes them to battle
    A dialogue system

I think that's all I could really say
    Attached Files

You should work on small projects when you're first getting started, you're not in a position to manage other people when you don't have any experience and for the most part you're going to have to be able to do a lot of work yourself.

Comment

small projects? Like what exactly? I would love to start game developing, so I really love to create something.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegawolvess View Post
        small projects? Like what exactly? I would love to start game developing, so I really love to create something.
        Personally, I'm looking at Playstation 1 games for inspiration. Not so much in terms of the graphics style, but more for the simplicity/sparseness of the levels and the lack of detail. PlayStation 1 games generally had much smaller development teams (usually between 10 and 30 people with slow, ancient 1990s technology) and definitely think you should try to emulate games that were made by a very small teams of people or even games made by just one person.

If you use a modern AAA game for inspiration, your game never get finished, because there's simply no way you can compete with a team of 100-200 people.

Comment

watch it
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQUyoGaP2nU

Comment

I would actually start by doing even simpler stuff first, like Pong, or Tetris or Space Invaders, and then a simple side scroller like flappy birds. Just to get used to the engine, game mechanics, UI, and how to bring everything together. If you still love game developing after this, you can get into more complicated stuff. You'll have a bigger picture of everything, and start getting ideas on how and what to do

Comment

Thanks guys. Something simple...I could do a visual novel? and if it goes well I could kick start it or something like that till I start going to Full Sail University

Comment

Originally posted by Omegawolvess View Post
                Thanks guys. Something simple...I could do a visual novel? and if it goes well I could kick start it or something like that till I start going to Full Sail University
                You can do anything with the engine, imagination is the limit, but the catch is that to support that imagination you need to get skilled with the engine. Therefore doing small games, for the sake of learning, can offer several difficult tasks. You can't give the pieces for someone build a rocket when the person never even but any pieces to shape a bike. Get experience doing extremely simple games, something that you imagine you could do in 1 month, you will realize it will take 3. This first experience will show to you what do you need to learn and it will blown your imagination to the next project, which you will target to fill the gaps in your knowledge.

Going to something extremely difficult will prove to be a so big challenge that mostly will give a great discouragement to you. Do what people are telling and after 5 small projects you will probably be more comfortable taking a big one.
                Nilson Lima
                Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/FUwTvzr

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

I think you're missing the point here. The idea is to create a version of a simple game that you already know, for learning purposes only (not for distribution).

That way, you can learn how to use the engine to create games without having to learn how to design them at the same time. Once you know how to create models, move them around, implement collision, keep track of scores etc. then you can design a game that uses those features knowing that you can make them work.

Comment

Working...
                  X