Atmosphere Modelisation - Completed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atmosphere Modelisation - Completed

*Edit: finished it last night, you can check 2nd and 3rd posts for some more 'up-to-date' pictures of what it looks like! *

Implementing this research paper in Unreal Engine 4:
    http://www-ljk.imag.fr/Publications/...69/article.pdf

It's the same source material as the default atmospheric fog from the engine, but i needed extra controls to hook the atmosphere to a procedurally generated planet.
    There a couple issues left, but i'm getting close to completion, after much struggle i have to say!

To handle 3D textures, i ended up generating 2D tiles and using PseudoVolumeTexture from Common.ush, it's silly because i have the actual 3D Textures reference but just couldn't figure out an easy way to turn them into editor 'volume texture'.

Currently using a post process material.

Last edited by MaximumDup; 09-19-2018, 07:22 AM.
    LinkedIn | Atmosphere Modelisation | Nvidia GameWorks builds - 4.19.2 : VXGI2.0, Blast, HairWorks, Flow - Plugins: VictoryBP | 4.17.2 | 4.16.2 | 4.15.3 | 4.14.3

Slowly but surely moving forward with the implementation of the paper.
    Started introducing multiple scatterring iterations. So far there's two scatterring. It's already possible to see the shadow of the planet in its atmosphere, looks really cool.
    Sunset looks great too already.

LinkedIn | Atmosphere Modelisation | Nvidia GameWorks builds - 4.19.2 : VXGI2.0, Blast, HairWorks, Flow - Plugins: VictoryBP | 4.17.2 | 4.16.2 | 4.15.3 | 4.14.3

Comment

Ended up working a bit more on it tonight and wrapped it up. Multiple scatterring setup and working.

Was a cool project, learned a lot about the inner working of shaders in the engine and how to run custom HLSL code as well as custom compute shaders.

Had to 'learn' HLSL as i had only practiced GLSL in the past while creating an OpenGL renderer, still was rather straightforward.

Comment

****, that looks good! Gives off a soothing vibe.

Comment

Thank you, it does. It's a a really interesting paper.

If you drop a default 'atmospheric fog' in the world and zoom out a lot, this is actually really close to what it would look like.

Comment

Working...
          X