No announcement yet.

Has anyone come close to creating a procedural city generators like these yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, I posted a GIF of our own solution for procedural levels generation in UE4 sub-reddit, and AlphaWolF invited me over to post in this thread. Here's an article about how our tool works:

http://www.lucianoiurino.it/procedur...ration-in-ue4/

It's nothing fancy like StartCitizen's, but it's proving to be very useful and fun to work with in our own projects.
    HyperParasite thread | HyperParasite website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaWolF View Post
      The starcitizen devs came up with possibly the best City generator tool Ive seen, I would love to see something similar to this in ue4

https://youtu.be/_3ax4gu---Y

or even this one
      https://youtu.be/b5AIpncO_9I

Hey AlphaWolF ,

This thread got me inspired so I decided to work on this project this week lol. This is what I got so far - is this what you had in mind? What do you think?

[WIP] Procedural City Generator | RPG AI
      [MARKETPLACE] Animal Behavior Kit | Space Shooter Template | Procedural Foliage Tool | Procedural Park
      [FREE] Modular Road Tool | Action Platformer Template | Radar BP | Free Birds
      Join our Discord

Comment

Excellent , I'm really happy Something has already come of this and I am glad I inspired you .
        I love how you already got straight on the idea of using instanced meshes and only rendering interior assets when close to them,
        and that your thought process about having flexibility after the city has been generated. this was my thinking also.

I have also been giving a lot of thought to how the best way to do this and what I kept thinking would work really well and give the biggest flexibility
        would be a seamless tile based system with various tile types available. so I started to work on something like that as a side project.

so you select your grid size and apply a material color to every individual tile basically painting where you would want different zones.
        EG:
        Orange = industrial zone
        red = retail zone
        green = park zone
        blue = corporate zone
        purple = public service zone.

then every zone tile will proceduraly generate the assets for the type of zone they represent and can be selected independently and randomize if you are not happy with a particular one.

this could even be a layered type of procedural generation that once the zone have been generated it then does a generation on interior layouts and props.

also roads are going to need streelamps and traffic bits.

this is what I started working trying to get some kind of grid system up and ruining, but I its very early and this is still a new area to me also. I have only got 2 tile types up and running so far and I can hit randomize button. got not way tom place things like roads yet or custom zones.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Desktop-Screenshot-2018.08.10--19.39.45.64.png Views:	1 Size:	446.8 KB ID:	1513838
        Last edited by AlphaWolF; 08-10-2018, 03:31 PM.
        Artstation

Comment

Also came across this, and it looks amazing, but it looks like the person has gone completely dormant.
          Really cant understand why somebody would make a tool like this and never release it.
          They are defiantly using procedural spline generation with some kind of detect surface/snap to surface code running on the first pass.

https://twitter.com/delacian/status/698922063675969537
          Last edited by AlphaWolF; 08-10-2018, 03:24 PM.
          Artstation

Comment

Hey AlphaWolF ,

Very nice! A grid system can have its advantages for sure. Actually my first attempt at the system (way before the video) was such a system. I was able to generate a grid on the map with different "tile types" very similar to yours. However, I never took it farther than that. I got stuck thinking about auto road network generation with the tiles. You actually seem to be farther than me with that approach

As far as the roads - road network generation is the hardest part for me atm. I've seen several algorithms but havent found an easy way to implement them in BP so far.

[MARKETPLACE] Animal Behavior Kit | Space Shooter Template | Procedural Foliage Tool | Procedural Park
            Join our Discord

Comment

Also came across this, and it looks amazing, but it looks like the person has gone completely dormant.
              Really cant understand why somebody would make a tool like this and never release it.
              They are defiantly using procedural spline generation with some kind of detect surface/snap to surface code running on the first pass.

https://twitter.com/delacian/status/698922063675969537
              Wow! That really looks amazing! And its so smooth too!
              Join our Discord

Comment

I honestly think The procedural road network is the secret source, This also reminds me of cityengine which a played around with in the past you could change to grid or radial or even hexagon
                road layout.
                it worked with xml file input from OSM street-maps . like this plugin also does. Which I also just got working thanks to thunder_owls
                help.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...etmap-importer
                Artstation

Comment

I honestly think The procedural road network is the secret source, This also reminds me of cityengine which a played around with in the past you could change to grid or radial or even hexagon
                  road layout.
                  it worked with xml file input from OSM street-maps . like this plugin also does. Which I also just got working thanks to thunder_owls
                  help.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...etmap-importer
                  Hey Alpha

I started working on procedural road network generation - super early code but it's looking promising

Join our Discord

Comment

WOW
                    you are so close to having a full blown city generator RIGHT NOW!.
                    Curious if your generating these from pre defined layouts or if they are just random splines networks
                    Artstation

Comment

WOW
                      you are so close to having a full blown city generator RIGHT NOW!.
                      Curious if your generating these from pre defined layouts or if they are just random splines networks
                      Hey AlphaWolF ,

Thanks! I ended up reading several research papers on procedural city generation (lol) and came up with an algorithm using a mix of what I found (adapted to BPs). The roads are generated by laying down individual segments and following a simple ruleset like the max degrees they can turn per segment, number of segments, etc. Its still very early but Im pretty happy with the progress so far .

Check out my test from last night

Join our Discord

Comment

Working...
                      X