Lightmaps Performance/Quality balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightmaps Performance/Quality balance

Hi everybody. I am moving my first steps in Unreal so please forgive me if the answer to this question might sound obvious to you. You know, i am an old-fashoned static CG illustrator

Here's the story. I am porting to UE an archeological reconstruction while trying to keep everything well organized and optimized, either for performance/quality reasons and for learning better.
    In the pics you see the floor of an underground church, that will be quite poorly lit with just a few sconces and natural light that will come only from the entrance and from a zenital oculus in the terminal part.

Eventually, the question. In such situations would it be more effective having a unique object with a unique Lightmap for the floor, or to split the floor in tiles such as the one shown in the image?
    I am testing performance anyway, but i would love you all if you could provide also a feedback based on your experience. Thanks in advance

There will be slight lighting variations between objects because the objects are handled individually. Mostly it's not a noticeable issue, but for surfaces you will see a difference if you split it up into multiple objects.
    For that specific case, I'd keep it together as much as possible and split it to separate meshes when you have something like the stairs where the 90-degree angle will hide the lighting difference.

Comment

Nailed, thanks a lot. So i might just consider to split the 3 levels, assigning the stairs to the two terminal islands, that are smaller.

Comment

Working...
      X