Distributed UE4: Dedicated Cluster Technology

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update:

DAT is ready to be used but it isn't available yet. There are non-technical things I need to handle before it is product-ready (documentation, support, ...). If you want it before that then we need to talk about licensing and the structure of our relationship. I think the first licensees will be more like strategic partners than customers.

With the money from that I can bootstrap the publicly available product.

There is an evaluation version you can try. It doesn't have any cluster functionality but it lets you see how DAT is used to make distributed games. The eval version will build dedicated server packages (and game clients, of course) with exactly the same projects that are used to build cluster-capable packages (that's how similar DAT development is to standard dedicated server development).

Cheers,
    Jin

Comment

Brilliant work!

Looking forward to trying this out.

Comment

I've set up a Patreon.

https://patreon.com/DistributedUE4

Thanks for any consideration,
        Jin
        Last edited by Jin_VE; 10-27-2018, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Hi. I've been following you since about mid 2017, and was waiting for this moment. Just registered on Patreon for $10. You should consider having a higher tier; you'll need many $10 patreons to get anywhere...

Comment

skunkiferous Thank you so much for the support! I know, $10 at a time means I need a lot of pledges. It says you can pledge more than the tier amount but still, another tier would be better. if I add one I should offer something more than a Discord color. Hit me up on Discord if you have any ideas.

Cheers!
            -Jin

Comment

It is good for Worldwide MMO to have a distributed DataBase like Google spanner.
              Another example is CockroachDB, an open source distributed Database, which is used in Nakama game server
              Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
              Let it al go: Fear, Doubt, Disbelief.
              FREE YOUR MIND !

Comment

Originally posted by Ne0Freedom View Post
                It is good for Worldwide MMO to have a distributed DataBase like Google spanner.
                Another example is CockroachDB, an open source distributed Database, which is used in Nakama game server
                A distributed DB is probably a must. But we need more info before assuming DAT could be used for a 'worldwide' mmo. I don't think Jin has specified if his code can deal with the gigantic latency that a wold wide mmo would have between the nodes. All other distributed game engine experiments I have read about require an extremely low latency. So I'll assume the same applies to DAT, unless Jin says otherwise.

Comment

Great! Amazing!

I have some questions.

Given that there are two actors in different dedicated servers: actor A1 in server S1, actor A2 in server S2.
                  A1 is a human and A2 is a ball.

If A1 kicks the ball A2, what is the recommended way of processing this? I my rough guess, there are:
                  Just replicate A1 to A2, then S2 does the physics with real A2 and replicated A1. The errneous physics simulation may be expected.
                  Do some distributed lock for A1 and A2, and do the physics in S2. The errornous simulation will be go away, but latency problems due to distributed lock may be expected.
                  Do some RPC commanding between S1 and S2 and let only S2 do the physics for A1 and A2 for a while, or other methods. Two problems I mention above will be go away, but writing code for this is not easy.

Sorry, I have not seen the video.

Comment

Originally posted by skunkiferous View Post

A distributed DB is probably a must. But we need more info before assuming DAT could be used for a 'worldwide' mmo. I don't think Jin has specified if his code can deal with the gigantic latency that a wold wide mmo would have between the nodes. All other distributed game engine experiments I have read about require an extremely low latency. So I'll assume the same applies to DAT, unless Jin says otherwise.
                    Actually, DAT will allow for worldwide MMOs with only local latency for all players. This is a bit of a side-effect of the cluster architecture:

The "gateway" nodes can be hosted in local regions and tied to the central cluster using dedicated lines. The clients are connecting to a local server no matter what region they are in and everyone has minimal latency to the central cluster. So the only lag they would normally experience would be between their PC and ISP.

Now, the cost of doing this is for others to work out. I can just tell you that it is now technically possible to have people playing in the same space from opposite sides of the world and both players can experience latency as if the space was hosted in their town.

You are correct that DAT will do poorly with high latency. But that's like saying a Bugatti engine won't do as well on watered-down gasoline. It's a high-performance technology and requires high-performance resources for it to work properly. But there's no need to spread the nodes over the Internet anyway.

Cheers,
                    Jin

Comment

Originally posted by imays76 View Post
                      Great! Amazing!

I have some questions.
                      Sorry, I have not seen the video.
                      In my experience with replicating physics, you just have to let it go and hope for the best. With DAT, the servers are tightly bound so there isn't really a difference between the local and remote representations. When you do client/server, that's where things can get messy -- but DAT does have some optional client/server improvements that help in this area as well.

Cheers,
                      Jin

Comment

Jin_VE - Does this handle offloading maps from World Composition onto separate servers also (can't watch all the videos at the moment)?
                        Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

n00854180t : No. DAT doesn't force you to assign a server to a single region so there's no native support for World Comp. With DAT, you can have many servers handling one region, and/or single servers each handling many regions. Each server can handle the entire space, but generally you wouldn't design your cluster like that, so no one server would need to have the entire map loaded.

DAT does natively handle world offsets. You can set the world offset of each server individually and the back-end will translate the coordinates between the servers (with double precision).

I have ideas, but for now, the primary focus of DAT is to get smarter AI into more robust worlds. It doesn't do much to allow for worlds larger than UE4 provides alone. It helps you justify large worlds by having more and cooler stuff in them.

Cheers,
                          Jin

Comment

Working...
                          X