Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new glTF import supported in 4.19 preview is awesome. [Experimentation]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Does this importer support runtime loading of assets? I believe that's part of the design goal of the spec, runtime asset delivery. Runtime asset delivery of glTF would certainly make my life easier.

    Comment


      #32
      I created a 3d model using Lego (for a construction project POC) trying to export it in glTF from Sketchfab create some odd result in UE4

      Sketchfab result

      glTF exported from Sketchfab and imported in UE4.19


      Not sure if this is only my fault, can anyone try it
      https://skfb.ly/6Atpz

      Comment


        #33
        Tested with https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF-Blender-Exporter, works fine, it only needs to manually apply scale (apply modifiers on export doesn't work)

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by zincr0 View Post
          Tested with https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF-Blender-Exporter, works fine, it only needs to manually apply scale (apply modifiers on export doesn't work)
          What about exporting multiple anims (anims being separate Actions) ?

          Comment


            #35
            @DangerCobraM

            I am wonder where is UE 4.20 with glTF format (specifically animation import)

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by davide445 View Post
              I created a 3d model using Lego (for a construction project POC) trying to export it in glTF from Sketchfab create some odd result in UE4

              Sketchfab result
              ...
              glTF exported from Sketchfab and imported in UE4.19
              ...

              Not sure if this is only my fault, can anyone try it
              https://skfb.ly/6Atpz
              You're importing a SCENE. I think it was mentioned by plugin's developer, that scene import is not yet implemented, and plugin will import separate meshes instead.

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by motorsep View Post
                @DangerCobraM

                I am wonder where is UE 4.20 with glTF format (specifically animation import)
                I'm not DangerCobraM, but comparing CURRENT (post-4.20) and 4.19 plugin's code - there's no differences, except changing a few lines possibly to maintain changes in engine's API. I.e. 4.20 version of plugin is exactly the same as 4.19.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by Gildor View Post

                  I'm not DangerCobraM, but comparing CURRENT (post-4.20) and 4.19 plugin's code - there's no differences, except changing a few lines possibly to maintain changes in engine's API. I.e. 4.20 version of plugin is exactly the same as 4.19.
                  That doesn't sound too exciting

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by Gildor View Post
                    ... comparing CURRENT (post-4.20) and 4.19 plugin's code - there's no differences, except changing a few lines possibly to maintain changes in engine's API. I.e. 4.20 version of plugin is exactly the same as 4.19.
                    Sadly yes, the feature set is identical between 4.19 & 4.20. I planned to spend more time on this, but got pulled onto another project leading up to the 4.20 release. There's some changes under the hood to support SkeletalMesh but not enough to expose as a new feature.

                    Spent last week at SIGGRAPH talking to other people / companies in the glTF ecosystem -- it's really catching on! I'll do my best to get things moving faster on our end.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      It sounds like you're spending your free time for that, or like you have some degree of freedom choosing what you're doing next (but were forced to work on something else). Was that work an Epic's initiative, or your personal one?

                      My company also was and SIGGRAPH and they're talking about major interest to glTF over different companies.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Originally posted by DangerCobraM View Post

                        Sadly yes, the feature set is identical between 4.19 & 4.20. I planned to spend more time on this, but got pulled onto another project leading up to the 4.20 release. There's some changes under the hood to support SkeletalMesh but not enough to expose as a new feature.

                        Spent last week at SIGGRAPH talking to other people / companies in the glTF ecosystem -- it's really catching on! I'll do my best to get things moving faster on our end.
                        DangerCobraM I/my company is looking into runtime glTF support for Unreal AR sessions - I'm pretty familar with the code you've written (I've studied the source code extensively) - I'm curious what your opinion/thoughts are on the idea of making this plugin free of "editor" dependencies so that a cooked/deployed Unreal project, on-device, could process glTFs at runtime? This would open up a whole world of possibility in the consumer AR space.

                        I've found ways to do this that take a different approach than your plugin, but I like your plugin's approach more than my own. Do you have any thoughts on this (freeing the plugin from editor dependencies)? Is your approach even do-able at runtime or are there landmines you're aware of that would prevent this usage?

                        Specifically, we approached this use the ProcedualMeshComponent instead of creating static meshes, which worries me a bit, since that is experimental as well. Also, I like the way you dealt with loading Textures, although this is the most dependent on the Editor libs. I had considered simply copying out snippets of source code into my plugin, and de-editorizing them, but theres a deep rabbit hole there that I'm concerned about in making so many copies of engine code. Have any advice on what you think a proper approach to this would be?
                        Last edited by schubboy; 08-29-2018, 09:45 AM.

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Well, glTF is designed as a runtime delivery format (it is optimized for use at runtime, not edit time) so I suspect that eventually runtime loading of .gltf and .glb files outside of the cooked game data will be supported. I mean that's the whole point of glTF, so why implement anything if you aren't going to implement that?

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Point of glTF is "transmission format". There's nothing about "runtime" or "edit time". Unreal engine is designed to load assets prepared at edit time. Doing correct import at runtime will require lots of editor modules being pushed into runtime, for example - MeshUtilities, ShaderCompiler, Jpeg and Png decoders etc. And at the same time, there's no point for loading glTF files by UE4 at runtime. Really, no point - unless you want to make "another one glTF viewer", which is not the point of doing huge changes in the engine.

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Hi @vblanco,
                              I have exported a basic mesh from Blender using KronosGroup Blender glTF 2.0 Exporter
                              However I can't reproduce the way you imported you gltf file into Unreal Engine like on your initial GIF.
                              I'm on the 4.20.2 Release and it doesn't seem to support GLTF file on import.
                              Do I have to activate some hidden option or something to import glTF files ?
                              Thank you

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Did you enable glTF plugin?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X