What order should I learn?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What order should I learn?

Sorry I was unsure where to post this but I want to make a game. I’ve been learning C++, I’ve messed around with Unreal Engine a little bit but I want to know what order I should learn all the parts of making a game from the ground up. Do I start with 3D modelling and animation or do I start in the editor and work my way out? Do I get a blueprint and work off that?

Sorry if it seems stupid but it’s just a lot to take in and I’m kind of confused as how to approach it all. I’m dedicated though I guess I just need some guidance. I’ll be using all free software, if I spend any money it will be in the marketplace that’s about it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

It sounds like you're starting from the beginning, in that case then you need to slow down and set up a plan, learning any one particular type of thing is going to be a huge task. You can design gameplay without much in the way of 3D assets, for example you can block out a level very easily and use some of the default meshes for a character and stuff like that. If you want to learn 3D modeling then you'd need to spend a while doing that before you do anything with UE4. You have to decide how far you want to go with that stuff since you could spend all of your time working with 3D modeling or programming.

Comment

So basically I can make my game, then once done go do the models for it etc? I’m just confused. For my first game would I be better off getting models etc from elsewhere just to kind of get the jist of it?

If I do that though how can I animate, does Unreal Engine have the ability to make animations within the Engine?

Comment

1. Get a feel for the editor, just a general familiarity for projects. It's good to get a why for what you're doing so you need a big picture view of how UE4 works before delving into making your own stuff. Go into the learning tab and download a bunch of the projects. Vehicle Game, Infiltrator Demo, Strategy Game etc. Inside the projects look at the World Settings tab, the details tab with an actor selected in the viewport, the project settings (Maps & Modes, Input, Rendering). Fiddle around with some of it just to get some hands on experience. Open up a static mesh file in the editor, a skeletal mesh, an animation blueprint and a UI widget to see what they look like.

2. Figure out how to package a project so you can see the big picture, package the Vehicle Game or the Strategy Game so you can see how a dev produces a game client.

3. a: Depending on your intentions/career path learn some C++ and version control fundamentals. (This will help you not just in game dev, if this is just a hobby maybe skip 3 because it's time consuming)
        b: If you are into performant (cpu, gpu and memory intensive) program creation as a career download some engine source code from Github and install Visual Studio 2015 community (with update 2 not update 3)
        c: Look through some of the .cpp and .h files and try to understand their purpose
        d: Try to build the engine in VS and create a new project.

4. Then from there move on to asset creation pipelines. There are dozens of ways to create assets so it's good to start with something like Blender because it's simple(relatively) and free. Download some free assets from TurboSquid and start experimenting with Blender. Try to export a file from Blender to UE4. Try to delete some faces and add a modifier and if you're feeling risky learn how UV maps work.

If you get that far you're off to a good start. Some will say look at asset creation before source code but I would lean towards source first because the source will teach you fundamentals that aren't going to change for a long time while the asset creation pipelines are continually changing. Learning backend code fundamentals and version control is more likely to get you employment than frontend asset creation as well. Good luck!

5. Bonus round: download the world machine or terragen demo for fun times.
        Last edited by MikeRPG; 12-06-2017, 08:53 PM.
        Free Demo at: http://spacecadets.shop/demominigames/

Comment

Originally posted by Judd90 View Post
          So basically I can make my game, then once done go do the models for it etc? I’m just confused. For my first game would I be better off getting models etc from elsewhere just to kind of get the jist of it?

If I do that though how can I animate, does Unreal Engine have the ability to make animations within the Engine?
          You can learn everything you need to about doing programming or gameplay without having to learn 3D modeling as well, so you can focus on learning a specific thing rather than trying to learn everything at the same time, so it's better to focus on one thing that is the most important to you than to try to do everything at once. So for example, if you want to make a game with really awesome graphics then you'll need to spend a lot of time learning 3D modeling/texturing/animation before you do anything with UE4.

Comment

Short Answer
            Join a Team making games from the ground up.

Medium Answer
            It depends on: 1) The Kind of Game you want to make? The Art Style? How much work you want to do yourself. I would say that Animation is greatly under estimated when getting involved with 3D game dev, assuming its needed in the first place. Start with Animation.

Long Answer
            It's easy to under estimate the requirements of game development. I learned programming/scripting firstly, because I was fascinated by it in my youth. However, today, I want to develop modern 3D games, and my low-poly 3D Modelling/Animation skill level does not match up to the Photo-realistic Games I visualize in my mind's eye.

My options:
            • Develop games using low poly modeling styles
            • Program tools that I can use to assemble more complex 3D models from smaller parts
            • Learn to Model more complex 3D models.
            • Acquire Equipment to Scan 3D Models Photogrammetry
            • Purchase Photo-realistic 3D Model Assets from Marketplaces
            • Recruit 3D Modelers/Animators with skills that match my vision to work for free or promise of royalty
            • Hire 3D Modelers/Animators with skills to produce 3D Art/Animation to match my vision
            Audio/Visual content is what is heavily consumed on the player side, thus in heavy demand. Subsystems can be reused in multiple Apps and products. So i would say learn Animation, 3D Modeling using Modularity, and Scripting in that Order.
            FREE TACOS

Comment

Learning animation, 3d Modeling and Scripting first is going to leave you without an understanding of engine, source control and code fundamentals. Going that route is going to leave you with nice scenery and very basic gameplay. Just my opinion and I've been wrong before for sure.
              Last edited by MikeRPG; 12-07-2017, 01:06 AM.
              Free Demo at: http://spacecadets.shop/demominigames/

Comment

Hmm mixed responses, guess I have a bit to think about. Really I'd love to do most if not all the game myself but realistically that might not be possible for a fairly long time.

I'd love to make a fighting game, not 2.5D or anything something like The Warriors PS2 but my own game and a lot more into it than that had. That's why I thought 3D Modelling and animation would be the number one thing to learn. But like said above I could do all that then I have all this nice looking stuff but it doesn't do anything. That being said I'd just have to learn to make it all work how I like. I like the suggestion checking how the demo's work etc, might start with that and the tutorials and see if I can make a game based on what I know from there.

Great answers everyone thanks a lot. I like getting replies from multiple people with different views. If others want to put an opinion in that would be great still.

Quick question. Say I did make the game and then went off the fill in the pieces (animations etc) how would that work? Like if I made it so you could sneak behind someone and break their neck. That can't really be implemented until I have the models and animations right? So then would have to do all that or team up with someone who can. Kind of makes me feel as though someone else is doing all the work though. Maybe just because I'm new and have no idea really lol.

Comment

Start with Gameplay Mechanics; The more you figure out how Blueprints works the more things open up naturally if your only experience is UE4 and not UDK. Once Blueprints is learned Persona (the Animation and Skeleton hub) becomes less of a headache to learn and manage. i would suggest that after all that is said and done thats when i would delve into 3d Modeling and artwork oriented design. Once you have the more of an intermediate understanding of both i would try your hand at programming.

This is from my experience; Though i did Learn how to model and use the engine at the same time because i like viewing my models with Volumetric Lighting or Billboard Sunshafts. i am currently at my third step which is Learning how to program inside of UE4.

Now we all learn differently and i totally understand if Modeling comes first or if engine interface learning is a must for you. For me i have to know the basic atom structure of why the heck some things work the way they do; Before i can even grasp the basics! I hope to hear from you again though see how you are doing.

Comment

Working...
                  X