Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If one were to make a Minecraft clone in Unreal Engine 4...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If one were to make a Minecraft clone in Unreal Engine 4...

Hello! I'm pretty new to Unreal Engine, and I've just started to get the hang of basic blueprinting. I am nowhere near ready to make a full game yet, nevertheless a Minecraft clone. Still, it has made me wonder - what would be necessary to create such a clone in UE? I have seen multiple videos on YouTube where people have made voxel based games in Unreal (and in multiple other engines too), so clearly it's possible.

As I stated earlier, I am an UE newbie. I have no clue where to even start if I were to make a project like this. However, if one were to make a Minecraft clone, how would they go about doing it? I am interested in doing something like this one day, so hearing how it would work (theoretically) would be fascinating. There are many blocks in a Minecraft chunk, and even more in the entire world. Normally, you would think that such a game would be very unoptimized due to the sheer amount of blocks present at the same time? What about chunk loading? Making everything generate in a grid? How does random generating terrain even work? So many questions!

Either way, I would very much appreciate if some of these questions were answered because I really want to know.

Thanks in advance!

- Henriko

Why not do something new rather than wasting your time on something that won't be worthwhile?

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
      Why not do something new rather than wasting your time on something that won't be worthwhile?
      Fair point. Although my interest is not in making a Minecraft clone per say, but rather to know how it works and it's flaws / benefits. I think that implementing a voxel based structure would be really interesting in many games, not just Minecraft. One game specifically would be Stardew Valley, which I've been playing recently. It's a lot of fun, but I think it would have had even more potential if it was made in 3D. Imagine a game like that, but in 3D using voxels! There would be so many new possibilities that way, and it would make it stick out quite a bit from Minecraft, wouldn't it? Specifically level design would be a lot simpler that way too...
      Last edited by HenrikoMagnifico; 10-25-2017, 12:44 PM.

Comment

我也想用UE4重置Minecraft,但能得到的资料实在太少了......

如果你需要,我有个简单的克隆:http://pan.baidu.com/s/1hrHUK4W,

[Voxatron] 是个很好的体素游戏,而且是真的体素!

以下是机器翻译(中文到英文):

I also want to reset Minecraft with UE4

If you need, I have a simple clone:http://pan.baidu.com/s/1hrHUK4W,

[Voxatron] is a great voxel game, and it's a real voxel!

The following is Machine Translation (Chinese to English):

Comment

Working...
        X