"ProBuilder" for Unreal 4 Marketplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the replies everyone!!

...and my apologies for being out of contact so long. It's been a busy, busy time, and there always seems to be more that needs doing, so we can never quite get around to this on time. However-

All that is changing!

As of now, I am making this my priority. Karl will continue to head up ProBuilder for Unity, and I think I've found another partner to get Unreal dev moving forward ASAP. Very excited about this!!!

I know it sounds cliche, but to get things rolling, I am looking into a Kickstarter/etc to build initial funds and jumpstart development. Or, I may just start a simple "Alpha/Beta/etc" access scheme to let interested devs get in early, thereby gaining valuable feedback and funds for us, + early access and design influence/power for them.

I will posting updates here, so please subscribe to this thread if you'd like to stay informed!
    Many, many thanks to all those who have continually emailed, messaged, facebooked, forum-ed (word?), to support and push me toward getting this done. I really appreciate it, and promise this starts, for real, now!

Now, I just need to think of a name
    ProBuilder - Complete In-Engine 3D Modeling, Editing, and UV Unwrapping, + More! Coming soon to UE4! procore3d.com/probuilder

Comment

This sound like great news, contratulations!
      Thanks for the answer, you´re right about the vertex, of course, that´s a nice feature I´ll have to try out the update.
      About the quads, I really understand how difficult this could be, but the potential could be equally big. If you could perhaps put a particular name for the edges that you could later delete when exporting it, or some scheem to make it work, it would be huge, think about it: We would be able to use the exported mesh as a base model that could be later refined and finished in another app (instead of having to redo most of it). I think if something like this were possible even non-game modelers would start using unity with pro builder to have good meshes with proper uvs that could be later edited elsewhere for detail and sculpted in zbrush without a huge amount of steps. I know I would use it for non-game projects. It would allow you to start modelling not just walls and such but also chairs, tables, picture frames whatever, knowing you can re-edit it later.
      If you guys can give it a thought, it would be quite a revolution.
      Thanks, and good luck

EDIT: Had a beta version, currently pro builder is working as good as always, so dissmis the critiques
      Last edited by calpolican; 08-14-2015, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Ah heck, I'm really excited about this. I grew up making levels using the BSP editor in Unreal 1. So far, I've repeatedly bounced off level creation in UE4 because the blockout tools are by comparison pretty limited and frustrating. I've never been fond of using static meshes to construct a level - it may be how the 'AAA' devs do things, but from a workflow perspective it's always just felt fiddly and wrong. I've heard so much praise from the Unity crowd for ProBuilder, in how it simplifies the process of creating levels and brings back a lot of that oldschool BSP feel, that I wouldn't hesitate to get a copy of this when it comes out.

All the best getting these tools ported over. I'm really looking forward to getting my teeth into the engine once again, and I have a hunch ProBuilder (or whatever you decide to call it) will make a lot of people very happy.

Comment

Originally posted by calpolican View Post
          This sound like great news, contratulations!
          Thanks for the answer, you´re right about the vertex, of course, that´s a nice feature I´ll have to try out the update.
          About the quads, I really understand how difficult this could be, but the potential could be equally big. If you could perhaps put a particular name for the edges that you could later delete when exporting it, or some scheem to make it work, it would be huge, think about it: We would be able to use the exported mesh as a base model that could be later refined and finished in another app (instead of having to redo most of it). I think if something like this were possible even non-game modelers would start using unity with pro builder to have good meshes with proper uvs that could be later edited elsewhere for detail and sculpted in zbrush without a huge amount of steps. I know I would use it for non-game projects. It would allow you to start modelling not just walls and such but also chairs, tables, picture frames whatever, knowing you can re-edit it later.
          If you guys can give it a thought, it would be quite a revolution.
          Thanks, and good luck
          Update? No sir, verts have been there since the very first version! hehe

Regarding quads: OBJ export only allows tris, actually. (Correct me if wrong?) Perhaps we could figure out a special FBX/other format exporter, but the truth is, that would take a HUGE amount of time for something that isn't really a core part of the tool. Also, most 3D modeling tools will let you convert tris to quads via a single button click, after importing...though the accuracy of the conversion is not always perfect (or perhaps never?).

Before I appear to go down the wrong road, let me say this: I am a BIG fan of the "model with ProBuilder in game engine, playtest+iteratex1000, export to 3DS Max/Maya/Blender/Zbrush/etc, make super purty" workflow. This is a great method that a lot of our users, er, use, and working with tris (or converting) hasn't slowed 'em down, that I've heard. Hence, my reluctance to spend a month on that, when we could really use that time adding, say, complete Boolean support or multiple new shapes

Originally posted by Beaucephal View Post
          Ah heck, I'm really excited about this. I grew up making levels using the BSP editor in Unreal 1. So far, I've repeatedly bounced off level creation in UE4 because the blockout tools are by comparison pretty limited and frustrating. I've never been fond of using static meshes to construct a level - it may be how the 'AAA' devs do things, but from a workflow perspective it's always just felt fiddly and wrong. I've heard so much praise from the Unity crowd for ProBuilder, in how it simplifies the process of creating levels and brings back a lot of that oldschool BSP feel, that I wouldn't hesitate to get a copy of this when it comes out.

All the best getting these tools ported over. I'm really looking forward to getting my teeth into the engine once again, and I have a hunch ProBuilder (or whatever you decide to call it) will make a lot of people very happy.
          Actually, you might be surprised how many AAA devs do NOT use purely pre-built, modular, stuff. Or, perhaps I might be the one surprised, but my general knowledge from devs is that in-engine construction (for base, simple sections of levels) is still very much favored.

Thanks for the responses!!
          ProBuilder - Complete In-Engine 3D Modeling, Editing, and UV Unwrapping, + More! Coming soon to UE4! procore3d.com/probuilder

Comment

Originally posted by yahodahan View Post
            Hi! Would you mind letting me know what parts you found lacking? Hammer was my #1 source of inspiration for the original ProBuilder versions, and continues to be in many ways. Ease of use and intuitive control are absolutely #1 priority, and most people seem to agree we hit that one on the mark- but always open to suggestions! Thanks!
            Well, coming into Probuilder after years of Hammer, Probuilder just never worked as expected. It seemed like Probuilder was missing all the things that make Hammer easy and fast, i.e. how you could manipulate brushes with just the mouse. Sure there are matching features in Probuilder, but it just seemed extra fiddly, i.e. having to press hotkeys for every function. Basically, Hammer lets you do everything necessary in a single mode (e.g. rotation, scaling, moving brushes) while Probuilder makes you switch modes constantly. Also, it wasn't integrated into Unity particularly well; the Probuilder editor got in the way of the Unity editor and vice versa.

Long story short: I really enjoyed working in Hammer; Probulder was a pain in the ***. So I'd have to say you missed something if you say Hammer was your #1 inspiration.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I did work with Probuilder quite a bit, trying to see if I could just "get used to it", but every single time I was using it, I wished I was using Hammer instead. So there's definitely some sort of fundamental disconnect between Probuilder's and Hammer's UIs.
            Last edited by Xenovore; 08-12-2015, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yahodahan View Post
              Regarding quads: OBJ export only allows tris, actually. (Correct me if wrong?)
              You´re wrong. Obj can export quads perfectly fine.

Yes, you´re right about the vertex, it was the edges that you couldn´t move, sorry for that.
              I thought about proBuilder as being kind of buggy, but the new version I tested today for unity 5 is really a step backward. Things are so messy! almost nothing works. For cylinders you can´t even move those vertex at all, and most of the time it just brakes, and even faces that used to work pretty flawless in the past are no longer doing that. In some cases ctrlZ would break the mesh. At times you can´t scale, or certain things would refuse to enter into geometry mode. Exporter always end up whit deffects when writing the file and you have to manually change the obj as a txt file, and if you export everything in your scene, it comes as one whole that if you separate them is broken into mesh components.
              I´m sure it´s all because of having to make it compatible with the new unity 5, but I hope your partner can get it going right. It´s a very useful plug in and i´m gonna have to use it soon.
              Good luck,
              Last edited by calpolican; 08-12-2015, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenovore View Post
                Well, coming into Probuilder after years of Hammer, Probuilder just never worked as expected. It seemed like Probuilder was missing all the things that make Hammer easy and fast, i.e. how you could manipulate brushes with just the mouse. Sure there are matching features in Probuilder, but it just seemed extra fiddly, i.e. having to press hotkeys for every function. Basically, Hammer lets you do everything necessary in a single mode (e.g. rotation, scaling, moving brushes) while Probuilder makes you switch modes constantly. Also, it wasn't integrated into Unity particularly well; the Probuilder editor got in the way of the Unity editor and vice versa.

Long story short: I really enjoyed working in Hammer; Probulder was a pain in the ***. So I'd have to say you missed something if you say Hammer was your #1 inspiration.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I did work with Probuilder quite a bit, trying to see if I could just "get used to it", but every single time I was using it, I wished I was using Hammer instead. So there's definitely some sort of fundamental disconnect between Probuilder's and Hammer's UIs.
                Ouch! Well, you have a strong opinion and I'm sorry it's an unhappy one, I'm sure there is something that will fit your needs!

Originally posted by calpolican View Post
                You´re wrong. Obj can export quads perfectly fine.

Yes, you´re right about the vertex, it was the edges that you couldn´t move, sorry for that.
                I thought about proBuilder as being kind of buggy, but the new version I tested today for unity 5 is really a step backward. Things are so messy! almost nothing works. For cylinders you can´t even move those vertex at all, and most of the time it just brakes, and even faces that used to work pretty flawless in the past are no longer doing that. In some cases ctrlZ would break the mesh. At times you can´t scale, or certain things would refuse to enter into geometry mode. Exporter always end up whit deffects when writing the file and you have to manually change the obj as a txt file, and if you export everything in your scene, it comes as one whole that if you separate them is broken into mesh components.
                I´m sure it´s all because of having to make it compatible with the new unity 5, but I hope your partner can get it going right. It´s a very useful plug in and i´m gonna have to use it soon.
                Good luck,
                Ah-ha! I looked into this further, and yes you can indeed export as quads! Kinda failed on research there- tsk tsk. Good to know, actually.

If you experienced bugs, could you post them to the support forum at "www.procore3d.com/forum"? Sounds like you might have something out of the ordinary going on, as I'm building geo all day long without trouble. Are you perhaps using a Beta version? Anyway, we'd really appreciate hearing the details so we can look into it for you. Thanks!

Comment

Hey yahodahan -

So got some sort of Suggestion / Request for your pro builder Toolset.

The ability to prefab multiple different meshes together into a single blueprint.

That would be very useful for level design in my honest opinion.

Also is there an ETA on when Pro builder will be ready for Early Access for people to buy into?

Just curious -

HeadClot

Comment

Great to hear this project is moving again!

Comment

Originally posted by HeadClot View Post
                      Hey yahodahan -

So got some sort of Suggestion / Request for your pro builder Toolset.

The ability to prefab multiple different meshes together into a single blueprint.

That would be very useful for level design in my honest opinion.

Also is there an ETA on when Pro builder will be ready for Early Access for people to buy into?

Just curious -

HeadClot
                      Sure, that's a useful idea. I need to dig into Unreal more, is it not already possible? "Nested" prefabs/blueprints?

No exact ETA yet, but we'll get official in about a month, right after Unite.

Originally posted by HavocX View Post
                      Great to hear this project is moving again!
                      Thanks, excited to get back to it!

Comment

In your favor, yahodahan.... I've been playing with UE's current CSG prototyping tools and those are complete and utter garbage. Probuilder would certainly be much, much better than those.
                        (But please, if you're going to bring Probuilder over to UE, take another look at how fast and easy Hammer's brush manipulation is; try to emulate that.)

Comment

Obviously there's only so much that can be done, (and because I never really took to Unity I'm unsure of ProBuilder's specific workflow or feature set) but what are the chances of a proper subtractive CSG-style workflow a-la Unreal Engine 1? By that, I mean having your level bounds defined by inverted brushwork rather than IdTech / Source / later Unreal Engine additive geometry?

I miss just being able to subtract a great big single inverted brush for the basis of your level bounds. You could throw levels together so quickly in UE1. Oh, nostalgia! But hey, I know the vast majority of people are far more comfortable with the usual additive methodology, so I'm not expecting to be catered to, just if it was a feature, I'd be super excited :P

Comment

Thanks yahodahan, I checked your forum and it turns out the plug updated to a beta version or something, the reply come pretty fast and now everything works as good as always.
                            I placed an edit in my previous comment.
                            Thanks a lot and good luck with the UE version, I´m really looking forward to that.
                            Last edited by calpolican; 08-14-2015, 12:55 AM.

Comment

I cannot wait for this. I bought 'SuperGrid' but this is a different realm of level building. I will gladly support a Kickstarter to get this moving quicker. I am always checking your Facebook and forums and here to see if any news on a release date or ETA xD

Comment

I can haz? Where to I put money down for this?

Comment

Working...
                                X