"ProBuilder" for Unreal 4 Marketplace

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"ProBuilder" for Unreal 4 Marketplace

FINAL UPDATE: With the upcoming release of Unreal's own geometry tools, we've decided to officially end this project. Sorry to disappoint everyone, but we're sure Epic has some great tools on the way to fill the gap!

Hi all!

Long time back, I was a big Unreal user, swapped over to Unity mainly for the ease of creating smaller, non-FPS games from scratch. The lack of any "BSP"/level editing tools led me to create "ProBuilder" for Unity, and (irony!) I'm now looking into bringing PB over to Unreal, via the new Marketplace. I've heard from a few Unreal users that this would be a great move, and would really appreciate general community input Looks to be a fairly large and complex undertaking, porting PB from Unity to Unreal, but definitely doable, and I'm all for it if the need exists!

Thoughts/questions/etc would be great to hear. I'll be tooling around with the new UE4 for my own potential uses- exciting, and feels a bit like coming home!

About ProBuilder:
    ProBuilder is the "level editor" plug-in for Unity, allowing in-editor mesh building, texturing, and UV control. We are constantly expanding and adding to the tool, most recently adding full manual and auto UV unwrapping + template rendering, complex geometry actions like cut, weld, bridge, loops and rings, extrude, etc, and real-time (in-game) construction ability. More info at: www.procore3d.com"

SKIP TO 1:06 to get past my boring talk, sorry! :P

I would definitely use this
    79.75%
    Interesting, but not a "must have"
    14.11%
    Only if [X] feature is added (please post!)
    1.84%
    Nope, not of use at all.
    4.29%
    Last edited by yahodahan; 08-22-2017, 12:43 PM. Reason: project ended
    ProBuilder - Complete In-Engine 3D Modeling, Editing, and UV Unwrapping, + More! Coming soon to UE4! procore3d.com/probuilder

My understanding is that BSP is not very efficient to use in the engine, and that it is intended to be used for blocking out your design before creating static meshes. I think this would be the biggest issue to consider if your system will be based on BSP. Otherwise I have seen your tool for Unity and think it would be well received. Even as a better blocking out tool there might be good demand for such an addition. My preference would be just to go straight to using modular meshes that snap together easily though. What I can see there being great demand for is for the integration of assets like that along with parametric modification via use of blueprints. With the announcement of Houdini integration into the engine as well, I can see some amazing potential for these kinds of parametrically controlled assets in speeding up level development.

Welcome home!

Comment

Oops, to clarify: there is zero actual "BSP" going on, it simply creates meshes standard meshes, albeit ones that can be quickly, simply, edited in-editor. Agreed that this sort of thing is most useful for blocking out shapes and levels, early prototyping, or fairly stylized final geometry. However, that is a process that never really ends in game dev, heh, and a fast, simple solution can save a ton of time and frustration, in my experience.

Thanks Triplelexx!
      ProBuilder - Complete In-Engine 3D Modeling, Editing, and UV Unwrapping, + More! Coming soon to UE4! procore3d.com/probuilder

Comment

+1 for better blocking tools in the editor.
        Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

Originally posted by yahodahan View Post
          Thoughts/questions/etc would be great to hear. I'll be tooling around with the new UE4 for my own potential uses- exciting, and feels a bit like coming home!
          First of all, welcome back home!

I am sure most of the users posting in the following threads would love to hear about this. I included links for you so you could post in that discussion a link to bring them over here to discuss more on about your plugin, as they have actively been looking for something like this for a while!

Thread #1:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...evel-designers

Thread #2:
          https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...t=slow+tedious

Let them know what you are offering, I am sure they will be very happy to hear from you!
          Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Oops, to clarify: there is zero actual "BSP" going on, it simply creates meshes standard meshes, albeit ones that can be quickly, simply, edited in-editor. Agreed that this sort of thing is most useful for blocking out shapes and levels, early prototyping, or fairly stylized final geometry. However, that is a process that never really ends in game dev, heh, and a fast, simple solution can save a ton of time and frustration, in my experience.

Thanks Triplelexx!
            Sorry for my misunderstanding then. In that case I would think this is certainly worth porting. The rapid iteration and flexibility it could provide would be very useful. My most fond experience with level development still comes from starting with the Max Payne 2 editor. You could just connect splines together that snapped on a grid and then extrude the shape to make rooms and such. It was so effortless to just iterate on the environment and jump straight in.

Comment

Originally posted by DotCam View Post
              First of all, welcome back home!

I am sure most of the users posting in the following threads would love to hear about this. I included links for you so you could post in that discussion a link to bring them over here to discuss more on about your plugin, as they have actively been looking for something like this for a while!
              Thanks DotCam- done and done!

Originally posted by Triplelexx View Post
              Sorry for my misunderstanding then. In that case I would think this is certainly worth porting. The rapid iteration and flexibility it could provide would be very useful. My most fond experience with level development still comes from starting with the Max Payne 2 editor. You could just connect splines together that snapped on a grid and then extrude the shape to make rooms and such. It was so effortless to just iterate on the environment and jump straight in.
              No problemo- and yes, spline extrusion is great! We really hope to add that soon

Comment

Two words: Heck yeah! ProBuilder will be a wonderful addition to Unreal Engine 4 and I will certainly purchase a license if you port it. Go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by n00854180t View Post
                  +1 for better blocking tools in the editor.
                  Originally posted by KoldKam View Post
                  Two words: Heck yeah! ProBuilder will be a wonderful addition to Unreal Engine 4 and I will certainly purchase a license if you port it. Go for it!
                  Great to hear, thanks!

Comment

Great to hear, thanks!
                    Have you made it yet?

Always up for better blocking tools, looking forward to it .

Comment

Oh wow, I'm one of your Unity customers and I was just on the Probuilder website yesterday looking to see if your team was tempted by UE4 especially since I made the transition...

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowKindGames View Post
                        Have you made it yet?

Always up for better blocking tools, looking forward to it .
                        Originally posted by Ghoxt View Post
                        Oh wow, I'm one of your Unity customers and I was just on the Probuilder website yesterday looking to see if your team was tempted by UE4 especially since I made the transition...
                        Again, really good to hear- thanks! We just chatted on this, and it's potentially going toward the top of our next to-do list...

Comment

+1 Dude! Formally in Unity land and made the move. Please sell ProBuilder on the MarketPlace.

Comment

This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpQelCVPPZg#t=1149

Comment

Count me in as your first customer ;p
                              David Hanson
                              You can follow our FPS development here: https://www.facebook.com/storm.united.mmofps

Comment

Working...
                              X