Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FBX and normals Import going very wrong!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by twalk1776 View Post

Heya! Did you ever find a resolution to this problem? I'm using the latest version of UE4 and seem to have the same issues. It's really insane to me that this issue could still exist nearly 4 years after you posted this original thread.
    No immediate solution, It has to do with Shadow Maps and Bias in UE4, they did try a tweak in the recent 4.22 or 4.23 versions by changing how Shadow map bias works in the engine, but it doesn't produce perfect results and comes with its own artifact problems. I don't know why this is still a problem in this engine, there were some explanations but lead to nowhere really in terms of stable results.

Comment

WilliamK Do you think you could make a new (4.23) sample of the problem?
      Mostly asking because it seems like you (or whoever posted it) weren't using smoothing groups when modeling the tissue/cloth example.

For the new guy with the new similar problem' perhaps a new post with a proper description and images could help us give you a work around of some sort based on your specific setup.

Comment

Originally posted by MostHost LA View Post
        WilliamK Do you think you could make a new (4.23) sample of the problem?
        Mostly asking because it seems like you (or whoever posted it) weren't using smoothing groups when modeling the tissue/cloth example.

For the new guy with the new similar problem' perhaps a new post with a proper description and images could help us give you a work around of some sort based on your specific setup.
        Of course there were smoothing groups, I have no time at the moment to make another sample but will try. Also this question came up before and turned out it had nothing to do with the model, the topology or smoothing groups, it has however everything to do with Shadow Bias and the way shadows are working with the normals of the mesh, this is especially visible when shadow bias is set very small which you need to set to have the shadow cast on detailed geometry like a face.

It was also present on all of our character geometry not just cloth.

Epic tried to fix this issue in 4.23 with dynamic shadow bias improvements you can check this in the release notes.

While it isn't perfect, it seems to at least reduce the artifacts somewhat but i noticed it also introduces some of its own issues in some places.

I didn't get the chance to test scenes in 4.23 with this fix though.

Comment

Try Meshmatic. https://meshmatic3d.com/

Comment

$80/m to perform basic mesh cleanup tasks? FOR THE LITE VERSION?

"What is included in the mesh clean up tools?"
            "The mesh clean up includes tools to combine meshes, delete non-manifold faces, fill holes, generate LOD’s, remove duplicate faces and vertices and more."

"What is included in the hierarchy optimization tools?"
            "Hierarchy optimization includes tools to combine children to a single mesh, to delete extra parents/nodes, delete empty nodes and more."

LMAO.
            CEO of Prydetech

https://www.artstation.com/ixicalibur

Originally posted by ixicalibur
            Here you go, this is a link to every tutorial you could ever need plus instructions to access all the collective knowledge of mankind: [Super massive awesome link that every amazing game developer uses to instantly learn to be super awesome at making stuff]

Comment

How to set "import mesh" to false?

Comment

Working...
              X