Slate-based Menu Programming Tutorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slate-based Menu Programming Tutorials

So, I've noticed a lot of confusion about how to use Slate in the community. Recently, I started using it to rewrite a lot of somewhat complex menus (written in somewhat messy Blueprint) we've got in a game I'm working on, and I've decided to help out by writing up a multi-part tutorial series on using Slate to write some pretty cool menus! :3

Part 1: Introduction!
    http://minalien.com/unreal-engine-4-...slatec-part-1/

Part 2: Styles!
    http://minalien.com/unreal-engine-4-...slatec-part-2/

Part 3: Upgrading to UE 4.3 & Data Binding!
    http://minalien.com/unreal-engine-4-...slatec-part-3/

Enjoy! ^-^
    Last edited by Minalien; 07-19-2014, 08:32 PM.
    - Your friendly neighborhood Drow Matriarch.

Very thorough and well written! And I liked the pun!

And it's very nice how you tied it all into blueprints!

Thanks for sharing!

Rama
    UE4 Marketplace: Melee Weapon Plugin & Compressed Binary Save System Plugin | Rama's C++ AI Jumping Videos | Vertex Snap Editor Plugin

♥ Rama

Comment

I'm glad you liked it, Rama. I enjoy writing tutorials - it helps solidify my understanding, gives back to the community, and brings in a lot of feedback that help to fix misunderstandings & mistakes I've made in the process. ^-^

Part 2, covering Styles, is now up! (See first post)

Comment

Great tutorials! You've made my day! Thank you!

Comment

Thanks !
          Exactly what i need

Comment

I found the two tutorials very heplful, please continue

greetings
            FTC
            Adventure Kit: UDK / UE4
            Buy the Kit: Marketplace
            Scan FX: Marketplace
            www.freetimestudio.net
            [Youtube][Twitter][Facebook]

Comment

There tutorials are really helpful.

You planning on making more of them?

Comment

Data Binding is now up!

My apologies for the delay, got caught up with school work! Part 3 is now up, covering data binding and the upgrade to Unreal 4.3!

I do plan to make a couple more tutorials specifically related to Slate - specifically, creation of complex widgets to be used as such (as opposed to menus/HUDs), like a Calculator widget I'll be doing, and possibly covering some of the less straightforward widgets, such as list boxes. I'm also branching out to write tutorials on other aspects as well - specifically, I want to look into another UI solution (VaQuole UI) and how to create some interesting gameplay features.

Comment

Originally posted by Minalien View Post
                  My apologies for the delay, got caught up with school work! Part 3 is now up, covering data binding and the upgrade to Unreal 4.3!

I do plan to make a couple more tutorials specifically related to Slate - specifically, creation of complex widgets to be used as such (as opposed to menus/HUDs), like a Calculator widget I'll be doing, and possibly covering some of the less straightforward widgets, such as list boxes. I'm also branching out to write tutorials on other aspects as well - specifically, I want to look into another UI solution (VaQuole UI) and how to create some interesting gameplay features.
                  Nice tutorial...

I too was thinking a lot of switching to HTML5. Can you give your feedback about using VaQuole vs Slate and its advantages etc

Comment

Minalien,

Thank you very much for making these tutorials!

Comment

Working...
                    X