Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making attached component editable

Hi guys

I have a component that I'm attaching to actors in a map. Right now it seems to be locked down, despite declaring everything I want to edit as UPROPERTY():

The member is set to public and used like this:

Code:
    UPROPERTY(EditAnywhere, BlueprintReadWrite, Category = "Lighting") ERenderResolution RenderResolution = ERenderResolution::RR_AUTO;
    So I think the problem isn't the member above, it's actually the way I'm attaching the new component to the actor:

Code:
    OctaneComponent = NewObject<UOctaneComponent>(Actor);
    OctaneComponent->RegisterComponent();

OctaneComponent->SetFlags(RF_MarkAsNative);
    Is there anything else I need to do to this to get it to be editable?

OctaneComponent->bEditableWhenInherited = true; or something of that sort.

Comment

Gotcha, thanks!

Comment

That didn't do it I'm afraid. There don't seem to be any other properties relevant to making it editable either.

Comment

Scratch that, I had to click the parent to see and edit the property. Thanks again!

Edit: and as quickly as it was there, it's gone again. I'm so confused. I can even see the modified value in the component but I can't find the enabled dropdown again in any other objects.
          Last edited by Antidamage; 05-19-2016, 10:44 PM.

Comment

where are you calling this code (in a function, constructor, etc)?
            Self-Learning to program, Open to advice!

Comment

I'm setting this in the constructor:

Code:
              	SetFlags(RF_MarkAsNative | RF_Dynamic | RF_Standalone);
              	MarkAsEditorOnlySubobject();

bEditableWhenInherited = true;
              	bWantsBeginPlay = false;
              	PrimaryComponentTick.bCanEverTick = true;
              And this after spawning a new object:

Code:
              I've been moving things around and trying different things so those flags are random guesses.

Comment

I believe you set that bool right after you attach the component to the actor. Right?

In my code i set it after I set my attach pointer.

Of course, I am setting it to false to deny access to the component properties. So I think you should be able to edit the component by default.

Code:
                ObjectSocketSprite->AttachTo(VisualMesh, "StopSignSocket");        
                ObjectSocketSprite->bSelectable = false;
                ObjectSocketSprite->bEditableWhenInherited = false;

Comment

hm in the actor your attaching it to have your tried declaring it in it's header im pretty sure you have idk im not good at this

ex:
                  Code:
                  UPROPERTY(BlueprintReadWrite, VisibleDefaultsOnly, Category = )
                  class UOctaneComponent* OctaneComponent;
                  pls note im still terrible at programming and all code is as is >_<
                  Self-Learning to program, Open to advice!

Comment

Not possible as I have no control over what kind of actor the component is attached to.

I had this working when adding the properties to an actor directly which was cool, but it seems more complicated to try to get the actor to display properties for a component.

Comment

Originally posted by IllpIll View Post
                      I believe you set that bool right after you attach the component to the actor. Right?

In my code i set it after I set my attach pointer.

Of course, I am setting it to false to deny access to the component properties. So I think you should be able to edit the component by default.

Code:
                      ObjectSocketSprite->AttachTo(VisualMesh, "StopSignSocket");        
                      ObjectSocketSprite->bSelectable = false;
                      ObjectSocketSprite->bEditableWhenInherited = false;
                      Hmm good idea, I'll try that. I'm not doing an attach, just providing the actor as an Outer. It's not a scene component so doesn't need anything other than to have that actor as the owner (I think!)

Comment

Moving things back out to beyond when the component is registered also didn't seem to make a difference. Bit of a mind****, I wish I knew how it managed to work for a few seconds.

Comment

Maybe I don't get the specific but is there a reason why you go for newObject() instead of CreateDefaultSubObject () ?

I thought newObject () is rather if your owner is not an actor...

Comment

I didn't know that. What constitutes a default subobject though? Most of these actors are actually static mesh actors with a static mesh. I don't think I want to replace the static mesh behaviour with something else - I'm just adding an extra component that provides additional editor functionality to that actor.

Comment

Try this instead of NewObject:
                              OctaneComponent = CreateDefaultSubobject<UOctaneComponent>(TEXT("Descriptive Text Goes Here"));

I believe in the following code you are creating a new Actor Object? I am not very skilled with c++ either but if this component is a child of the main actor class and only used to add additional functionality that it should be a SubObject. Again, I do not know if I am near correct in my assumptions.
                              Code:

Comment

Working...
                              X