Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Example] Virtual / Analog Cursor in UMG/Slate (Destiny Style)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Example] Virtual / Analog Cursor in UMG/Slate (Destiny Style)

A few months back Nick A. and I built a sample of an analog cursor in Slate/UMG. It allows you to treat the controller stick as if it were the mouse and drive the cursor around, click on UI...etc. We built the sample in the style of a mock Destiny UI. I finally found some time to clean it up and strip it down the bare essentials and get it out there. With a little bit of work, it could probably be turned into a nice reusable plugin. Better support for classic controller input is high on the list for UMG, but that's going to take a lot more time; so consider this the next best thing.

4.9 Project Download

Last edited by NickDarnell; 10-05-2015, 07:40 PM.

It's great to see some code you guys did for fun/testing!

I didnt even know that there was something like FAnalogCursor and this function: UVaultItem::GetRarityText(), ohh man, that one is useful.

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

There's a lot of goodness in there, my personal favorite is UDeveloperSettings, if you do what GameGlobals.cpp does, you can expose any global settings you have for your game in a way that makes them show up in the Project Settings dialog.

Comment

Oh dude nice! Thanks for sharing this!

Comment

That's amazing. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

- Did anyone else have problems trying to rebuild the project for 4.9.2?
            Last edited by pixelvspixel; 10-05-2015, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Nope, works on my machine.

Comment

Let's see a 100% BP project next?
                Website/Portfolio: http://www.VictorBurgosGames.com

Join me on stream: https://www.twitch.tv/BurgosGames for UE4 Game Dev. If you need help, just stop by and ask!

Wishlist Neko Ghost, Jump! a 2D/3D Puzzle-Platformer : https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...ko_Ghost_Jump/

Comment

Dear Nick,

Woohoo! Thanks for sharing this with us Nick!

Will work on turning this into a plugin and see how it goes

Originally posted by NickDarnell View Post
                  There's a lot of goodness in there, my personal favorite is UDeveloperSettings, if you do what GameGlobals.cpp does, you can expose any global settings you have for your game in a way that makes them show up in the Project Settings dialog.
                  Oh very neat, thanks for the info!

Thanks again Nick!

Rama
                  UE4 Marketplace: Melee Weapon Plugin & Compressed Binary Save System Plugin | Rama's C++ AI Jumping Videos | Vertex Snap Editor Plugin

♥ Rama

Comment

Plugin Created for Entire Community

Dear Community,

I've created a plugin based on the code Nick has shared with us!

I include only the essentials in this plugin so that you can have gamepad-friendly UMG in own your project easily, and without any C++ required!

Enjoy!

Thanks again Nick!

Rama

Forum Link
                    https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post394032

UE4 Marketplace: Melee Weapon Plugin & Compressed Binary Save System Plugin | Rama's C++ AI Jumping Videos | Vertex Snap Editor Plugin

♥ Rama

Comment

Originally posted by VictorAsukaKai View Post
                      Let's see a 100% BP project next?
                      You did read the paragraph right... it's not possible in BP right now.

EDIT: Nvm, Rama plugin-itised it already. You may be in luck.

Comment

Holy **** this is AWESOME!
                        GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER | AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 12-CORE @ 4.0 GHz | 64GB DDR4 3600

Comment

@NickDarnell, this is truly awesome. I was dreading making gamepad logic to cycle through menus, but you saved me big time! Only downside, is you made me break my streak of relying on someone else's code :P

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Darnell View Post
                            A few months back Nick A. and I built a sample of an analog cursor in Slate/UMG. It allows you to treat the controller stick as if it were the mouse and drive the cursor around, click on UI...etc. We built the sample in the style of a mock Destiny UI. I finally found some time to clean it up and strip it down the bare essentials and get it out there. With a little bit of work, it could probably be turned into a nice reusable plugin. Better support for classic controller input is high on the list for UMG, but that's going to take a lot more time; so consider this the next best thing.
                            Hi Nick, do you have any idea when we'll see the "better support for classic controller" that you're talking about? I haven't seen anything on the UE4 Roadmap about it and this is a critical element of my [BP only] project. For now, I'm using the plugin Rama has created, but I really need to be able to customize the speed and acceleration of the virtual cursor. Is that something we BP-only people might be getting in the future? Thanks!

Comment

This is really amazing stuff! I am going to chuck this into my game if you don't mind. \/ I think gamepad support is super important even for PC Games. Very nice work Nick! Just shows the awesomeness that is Epic Staff!

Always Active Technologies
                              {Binary_Shepherd}
                              /** the only losers are those who give up. */

Comment

Working...
                              X