• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4.9 Transition Guide

Dear Community,

It is that happy day once again!

Yay for 4.9!

This thread is a place where you can post your research / ask questions as you upgrade your code bases to 4.9.

Feel free to post compile errors you've solved or 4.9 errors / issues that you have not yet figured out so we can all do this process together!

Rama
    100+ UE4 C++ Tutorials on the UE4 Code Wiki, including UE4 Multi-Threading!

UE4 Marketplace: Melee Weapon Plugin & Compressed Binary Save System Plugin | Rama's C++ AI Jumping Videos | Vertex Snap Editor Plugin

Visit www.ue4code.com to see lots of videos about my C++ Creations! ♥ Rama

All FHitResults Now Return The Distance From Start To ImpactPoint

Dear Community,

This is one of my accepted pull requests!

All FHitResults now have a property Distance that gives you the non-squared actual distance from the trace start to the impact point!

I saw that PhysX was always returning this info and submitted the code to Epic to expose this valuable information.

~~~

You Can Improve Performance of Your Game Code Now

You can refactor a lot of code that had to use distance squared checks and separate distance calculations to just use FHitResult:: Distance now!

This will actually improve the performance of your game code!

Code:
    /**
     * Structure containing information about one hit of a trace, such as point of impact and surface normal at that point.
     */
    USTRUCT(BlueprintType, meta=(HasNativeBreak="Engine.GameplayStatics.BreakHitResult"))
    struct ENGINE_API FHitResult
    {
    	GENERATED_USTRUCT_BODY()

/** The distance from the TraceStart to the ImpactPoint in world space. This value is 0 if there was an initial overlap (trace started inside another colliding object). */[/B]
    	UPROPERTY()
    	float Distance;
    Enjoy!

Rama
    Last edited by Rama; 08-31-2015, 02:44 PM.

UE4 Marketplace: Melee Weapon Plugin & Compressed Binary Save System Plugin | Rama's C++ AI Jumping Videos | Vertex Snap Editor Plugin

Comment

Woohoo, lets get this 4.9 Upgrade Party going =)
      Abatron Development Thread
      www.abatrongame.com
      Steam Store

Comment

Converting FLinearColor to Color

If you want to convert a FLinearColor to a FColor, you must now use

Code:
        .ToFColor(true)
        Code:
        Color.h

/** Quantizes the linear color and returns the result as a FColor with optional sRGB conversion and quality as goal. */
        	CORE_API FColor ToFColor(const bool bSRGB) const;

private:
        	/**
        	 * Please use .ToFColor(true) on FLinearColor if you wish to convert from FLinearColor to FColor,
        	 * with proper sRGB conversion applied.
        	 * Note: Do not implement or make public.  We don't want people needlessly and implicitly converting between
        	 * FLinearColor and FColor.  It's not a free conversion.
        	 */
        	explicit FColor(const FLinearColor& LinearColor);
        ~~~

BodySetup Include

To get the definition of UBodySetup you must now include

Code:
        //Body Setup
        #include "PhysicsEngine/BodySetup.h"
        ~~~

PhysX Engine

PToU Conversions moved to PhysXPublic

The PToU conversion got moved from PhysicsPublic.h to PhysXPublic.h

~~~

BodySetup::TriMesh -> TriMeshes

Trimesh is now an array in BodySetup!

Code:
        #if WITH_PHYSX
        	/** Physics triangle mesh, created from cooked data in CreatePhysicsMeshes */
        	TArray<physx::PxTriangleMesh*> TriMeshes;
        #endif
        Last edited by Rama; 08-31-2015, 03:21 PM.

Comment

//GameMode Errors

PreLogin & InitNewPlayer override errors.
          argument changed to "const TSharedPtr<const FUniqueNetId>& UniqueId"

Just need to add the "const" to overridden function that includes FUniqueNetId.
          Last edited by Devero; 08-31-2015, 03:35 PM.
          www.abatrongame.com
          Steam Store

Comment

--Spawning function Deprecated, UGameplayStatics::BeginSpawningActorFromClass

Old: BeginSpawningActorFromClass()

Replace with: BeginDeferredActorSpawnFromClass()
            www.abatrongame.com
            Steam Store

Comment

Spawning Actors with Collision Override replaces bNoCollisionFail

Dear Community,

As of 4.9, in World.h, there is a new enumerator for handling collision of newly created actors:

Code:
              /** Defines available strategies for handling the case where an actor is spawned in such a way that it penetrates blocking collision. */
              UENUM(BlueprintType)
              enum class ESpawnActorCollisionHandlingMethod : uint8
              {
              	/** Fall back to default settings. */
              	Undefined								UMETA(DisplayName = "Default"),
              	/** Actor will spawn in desired location, regardless of collisions. */
              	AlwaysSpawn								UMETA(DisplayName = "Always Spawn, Ignore Collisions"),
              	/** Actor will try to find a nearby non-colliding location (based on shape components), but will always spawn even if one cannot be found. */
              	AdjustIfPossibleButAlwaysSpawn			UMETA(DisplayName = "Try To Adjust Location, But Always Spawn"),
              	/** Actor will try to find a nearby non-colliding location (based on shape components), but will NOT spawn unless one is found. */
              	AdjustIfPossibleButDontSpawnIfColliding	UMETA(DisplayName = "Try To Adjust Location, Don't Spawn If Still Colliding"),
              	/** Actor will fail to spawn. */
              	DontSpawnIfColliding					UMETA(DisplayName = "Do Not Spawn"),
              };
              So this

Code:
              SpawnInfo.bNoCollisionFail = true;
              becomes this

Code:
              SpawnInfo.SpawnCollisionHandlingOverride = ESpawnActorCollisionHandlingMethod::AlwaysSpawn;
              Enjoy!

Rama
              Last edited by Rama; 08-31-2015, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks!
                Getting projects ready for the transition

Comment

Originally posted by Devero View Post
                  //GameMode Errors

PreLogin & InitNewPlayer override errors.
                  argument changed to "const TSharedPtr<const FUniqueNetId>& UniqueId"

Just need to add the "const" to overridden function that includes FUniqueNetId.
                  Ditto on RegisterPlayer override (GameSession function).
                  Rule#21: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Comment

Originally posted by Rama View Post
                    Dear Community,

This is one of my accepted pull requests!

All FHitResults now have a property Distance that gives you the non-squared actual distance from the trace start to the impact point!

I saw that PhysX was always returning this info and submitted the code to Epic to expose this valuable information.

~~~

You Can Improve Performance of Your Game Code Now

You can refactor a lot of code that had to use distance squared checks and separate distance calculations to just use FHitResult:: Distance now!

This will actually improve the performance of your game code!

Code:
                    /**
                     * Structure containing information about one hit of a trace, such as point of impact and surface normal at that point.
                     */
                    USTRUCT(BlueprintType, meta=(HasNativeBreak="Engine.GameplayStatics.BreakHitResult"))
                    struct ENGINE_API FHitResult
                    {
                    	GENERATED_USTRUCT_BODY()

/** The distance from the TraceStart to the ImpactPoint in world space. This value is 0 if there was an initial overlap (trace started inside another colliding object). */[/B]
                    	UPROPERTY()
                    	float Distance;
                    Enjoy!

Rama
                    Hey Rama,

Do you mind extending your tutorial ( https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Trace_Functions ) including this change? I'm confused how to apply it.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoc View Post
                      Hey Rama,

Do you mind extending your tutorial ( https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Trace_Functions ) including this change? I'm confused how to apply it.

Thanks in advance!
                      Okay I've now updated my Traces wiki to 4.9.0 !

I include examples of how to use the new FHitResult Distance property that was my pull request to Epic.

Trace Functions in UE4
                      https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Trace_Functions

Using Distance Property of FHitResult
                      https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Trace_...Exact_Distance

Enjoy!

Rama

Comment

What does this mean?

"New: AIController class now derives from IGenericTeamAgentInterface which will make team-handling easier in the near future."
                        "If your game-specific AI controller class already derives from IGenericTeamAgentInterface, you probably should remove it from your controller's parent classes".

So confusing... what specifically do I need to remove? Do I suppose to unassigned my AIControllerClass from my controller? What the heck?

I'm also getting engine's compile error:

1>c:\program files\unreal engine\4.9\engine\source\runtime\aimodule\classes\GenericTeamAgentInterface.h(62): error C2059: syntax error : 'constant'
                        1>c:\program files\unreal engine\4.9\engine\source\runtime\aimodule\classes\GenericTeamAgentInterface.h(62): error C2238: unexpected token(s) preceding ';'
                        1>c:\program files\unreal engine\4.9\engine\source\runtime\aimodule\classes\GenericTeamAgentInterface.h(79): error C2589: 'constant' : illegal token on right side of '::'
                        1>c:\program files\unreal engine\4.9\engine\source\runtime\aimodule\classes\GenericTeamAgentInterface.h(79): error C2059: syntax error : '::'
                        1>c:\program files\unreal engine\4.9\engine\source\runtime\aimodule\classes\GenericTeamAgentInterface.h(62): error C2059: syntax error : 'constant'
                        1>c:\program files\unreal engine\4.9\engine\source\runtime\aimodule\classes\GenericTeamAgentInterface.h(62): error C2238: unexpected token(s) preceding ';'
                        1>c:\program files\unreal engine\4.9\engine\source\runtime\aimodule\classes\GenericTeamAgentInterface.h(79): error C2589: 'constant' : illegal token on right side of '::'
                        1>c:\program files\unreal engine\4.9\engine\source\runtime\aimodule\classes\GenericTeamAgentInterface.h(79): error C2059: syntax error : '::'
                        Does this have to do with it?
                        Last edited by KillerPenguin; 09-03-2015, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Sorry, my fault. I had [#define NoTeam] somewhere in my code and it conflicted with the UE4.9's GenericTeamAgentInterface.

Took hours to dig through to find it though. :/

ps. Another question, PostProcess's Settings.Blendables is now depreciated and cannot be accessed. So how do I clear all its array? Using Settings.SetBaseValues() seems to remove everything, not just the blendables array.
                          Last edited by KillerPenguin; 09-03-2015, 10:15 PM.

Comment

To declare a USoundCue pointer like this:

USoundCue* Sound1;
                            you will need to add the #include "Engine.h"

Comment

The removed "EnableParent" in the tick function.
                              Instead of it, you should enable/disable the tick in each component.

Comment

Working...
                              X