Can't set DefaultPawn in game mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't set DefaultPawn in game mode

Hello. I've created a player class as AActor. I created a blueprint and set this player as parent class. In game mode class I wrote
    Code:
    static ConstructorHelpers::FObjectFinder<UBlueprint> WarriorActorBPClass(TEXT("Blueprint'/Game/Blueprints/BP_WarriorActor.BP_WarriorActor'"));
    if (WarriorActorBPClass.Object != NULL)
    {
    	DefaultPawnClass = (UClass*)WarriorActorBPClass.Object->GeneratedClass;
    }
    I set this mode in preferences in editor and I can see pawn description and controller - everything correct. I set a breakpoint in Game mode and when I start a game I see that if() statement is executed. But BeginPlay() function never called for my player, and actually I can't see player mesh when I fly around. If I place blueprint in the scene BeginPlay() fired for this instance.

Upd.: I changed my default pawn from AActor to ADefaultPawn and now everything works. So what was the problem with Actor? Why can't I setup it as main player?
    Last edited by nikitablack; 05-13-2014, 06:01 AM.

In this case, Object Oriented Programming requires that the DefaultPawnClass is set to a class extended from (and including) Pawn.
    Pawn is actually extended from Actor so logically it makes no sense to try and use Actor when the code is expecting a Pawn.

Consider what would happen if you were allowed to do this. What would happen if you called a Pawn-specific function on the Pawn instance when in fact that Pawn is just an Actor?
    That Pawn-specific function would not exist. Hence, you can only use classes extended from Pawn, as they will always contain the expected functions and properties.

Comment

Yeah, that's right. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X