No announcement yet.

Alternatives to VS Express?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tried creating a new project with VS Express to try out it's speed compared to running an UE4 project?

Comment

Maybe this has been discussed, or verified already in the past, but Josh from Epic just mentioned on IRC, that UBT doesn't use VS for anything. You could totally use any IDE you wanted to. The only drawback you would have, is that the Editor opens the source files in VS, instead of your IDE.
      Join us on IRC! We are on #unrealengine @ freenode.org

Comment

Nice, well that seems like hopeful news. Tried a couple editors without any luck on opening the .sln, but opens the individual files just fine. Bit of an issue with intellisense. Going to give the Notepadd++ solution a go now, because, well maybe MS heard my ********. I get to my home office computer tonight and intellisense simply stopped working here on any UE4 functions. Then it started doing this odd restarting itself business after closing. I dunno, maybe it was the update I applied. I've gone and angered the VS gods Sorry.

Anyhoo, if you find success in the future with another system or with JetBrains, do let us know. Thanks!

Comment

It's not that Visual Studio per se is slow, just intellisense for a huge C++ code base such as UE4. Disable intellisense and get Visual Assist (which of course you can't install on Express) and all is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Gigantoad View Post
            It's not that Visual Studio per se is slow, just intellisense for a huge C++ code base such as UE4. Disable intellisense and get Visual Assist (which of course you can't install on Express) and all is fine.
            This exactly. Just to reiterate what everyone's been saying (with links):

If you have VS (not VS Express, because it isn't compatible) then go grab Visual Assist X and see if that speeds things up radically. There's a 30 day trial you can make the best of.
            Once you've installed it, go disable IntelliSense.

Originally posted by Bajee
            Once JetBrains IDE is released, I'll probably investigate what it would take to properly integrate a different IDE. They already have support for two different IDEs, it shouldn't be too difficult to add a third one, right?
            From my experience with PHP Storm (also JetBrains), it should be a fantastic product. Chances are as soon as it's available I'll be cramming the source into it and seeing what's what.

More info here. I might even give AppCode a try in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by V1nce View Post
              This exactly. Just to reiterate what everyone's been saying (with links):

If you have VS (not VS Express, because it isn't compatible) then go grab Visual Assist X and see if that speeds things up radically. There's a 30 day trial you can make the best of.
              Once you've installed it, go disable IntelliSense.

From my experience with PHP Storm (also JetBrains), it should be a fantastic product. Chances are as soon as it's available I'll be cramming the source into it and seeing what's what.

More info here. I might even give AppCode a try in the meantime.
              This is all good and well and stuff, but this requires a lot of money to put into, to just get a very basic feature of an IDE to work. TBH, i don't need a fancy IDE. All I really want is an IDE with a good Project Explorer and working Auto Completion. I dont work in the gaming industrie, even though I might want to get into it in the future. I dont have the money, otherwise I would probably just spend it, if it works good.

As far as UE4 being dependend on VS goes:

The only thing i see is, that it creates VS Solutions. When there are IDEs that can use those solutions just like VS does, I dont see any Problems. Creating new files with the UE Editor should still work. You would just have to reload your IDE to get the new files. All I want is a working intellsense without spenind 4 Digit Amounts on it. I might just try arround a bit by myself.
              July's GameJam Entry: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post341226

Comment

Originally posted by Brainshack View Post
                The only thing i see is, that it creates VS Solutions. When there are IDEs that can use those solutions just like VS does, I dont see any Problems. Creating new files with the UE Editor should still work. You would just have to reload your IDE to get the new files. All I want is a working intellsense without spenind 4 Digit Amounts on it. I might just try arround a bit by myself.
                UE only creates .sln for your convenience. You could just open the source files in Notepad if you wanted to. You can basically ignore the solution file.

Did you try to use Eclipse? I'm not sure how it references source files, but I've found a few articles on how to open .sln files with eclipse just by googling it.
                Join us on IRC! We are on #unrealengine @ freenode.org

Comment

Working...
                X