No announcement yet.

Problems with my first c++ codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a very similar issue. In the end I deleted my unreal folder completely, used the Launcher (Blue Icon) and downloaded the engine with it, then I had to use the "verify install" option under "Launch". That solved my issue. Afterwards I can use the Github version and everything works 100%

You can take a look here: https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...ject-cunr.html
    Last edited by Ad3ViLl; 04-12-2014, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ad3ViLl View Post
      I had a very similar issue. In the end I deleted my unreal folder completely, used the Launcher (Blue Icon) and downloaded the engine with it, then I had to use the "verify install" option under "Launch". That solved my issue. Afterwards I can use the Github version and everything works 100%

You can take a look here: https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...ject-cunr.html
      Thank you Ad3ViLl

I had UE4 installed and then removed it. I only kept the compiled UE4 from source code. Right now the launcher doesn't have the 'verify install' button since UE4 is not actually installed.

I guess you're saying:
      1- I remove the source folder and the compiled UE4 first
      2- Download and Install UE4 using the just the launcher and nothing else.
      3- Use verify install under Launch
      4- Clone the source code from github, compile, and start working with the compiled version (not the installed version).

Are those the correct steps I need to take? Do I need to mess with the environment variables (which I already did and nothing changed) ?

Also, does it matter where I install my UE4 (c: vs d ?
      Last edited by CGZee; 04-12-2014, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CGZee View Post
        Thank you Ad3ViLl

I had UE4 installed and then removed it. I only kept the compiled UE4 from source code. Right now the launcher doesn't have the 'verify install' button since UE4 is not actually installed.

I guess you're saying:
        1- I remove the source folder and the compiled UE4 first
        2- Download and Install UE4 using the just the launcher and nothing else.
        3- Use verify install under Launch
        4- Clone the source code from github, compile, and start working with the compiled version (not the installed version).

Are those the correct steps I need to take? Do I need to mess with the environment variables (which I already did and nothing changed) ?

Also, does it matter where I install my UE4 (c: vs d ?
        That's correct. That's how I got mine to work. Hopefully it will work for you too.

Comment

Here's what I did:

1- Installed UE4 launcher from UE4 download page.
          2- From the launcher, downloaded and installed UE4
          3- I clicked on verify installation under Launch
          4- downloaded and compiled the github source code version
          both versions are installed in d: drive.

Here's what I'm seeing:
          1- When launching UE4 from the launcher by clicking on the "Launch" button:
          a- adding a new class will actually open my visual studio2013 express.
          b- Clicking on 'file->open visual studio' will also open VS2013 express
          c- After the file opens in VS2013 express, all I see is the new class code. There are zero UE4 source files or folders.

2- When launching UE4 manually using the compiled source version in "\UnrealEngine\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor";
          a- Adding a new class will not open VS2013 express
          b- Clicking on file->open visual studio will not open VS2013 express and I still get the error message "Could not open Visual Studio 2013 for project D:/GitHub/UnrealEngine/UE4.sln"
          c- by opening the project solution file manually in VS2013 express, I can see all the engine source code along with the project code under the 'game' stanza.

Really confused now...which version should I use for development:
          1- The one that was installed via the launcher that opens VS2013 but will only show project code without UE4 source code?...or
          2- The compiled github version found in "\UnrealEngine\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor" which doesn't open VS2013 express but if opened manually will include all UE4 source code?
          Last edited by CGZee; 04-13-2014, 12:12 AM.

Comment

You can use the Launcher version, add you code, compile the solution, then close Visual Studio and open your Project's solution file (Myproject.sln located in your project's root folder). That works for me, it open your project in VS with both your Game and the UE4 code.

Comment

Here's what I did:

1- Installed UE4 launcher from UE4 download page.
              2- From the launcher, downloaded and installed UE4
              3- I clicked on verify installation under Launch
              4- downloaded and compiled the github source code version
              both versions are installed in d: drive.
              You can learn a lot by browsing the source code but the only reason I see to build UE4 from source is if you're going to modify the engine. If you just want to make a game with UE4 as it is, then you don't need to build it.

Here's what I'm seeing:
              1- When launching UE4 from the launcher by clicking on the "Launch" button:
              a- adding a new class will actually open my visual studio2013 express.
              b- Clicking on 'file->open visual studio' will also open VS2013 express
              c- After the file opens in VS2013 express, all I see is the new class code. There are zero UE4 source files or folders.
              So, just use the pre-built version of UE4 that you downloaded from unrealengine.com. Start a new project based on a C++ template and Visual Studio will pop up with basic C++ code for you to play with. It doesn't matter if you don't see the UE4 source code project in your game's solution, UE4 is already compiled, the UnrealBuildTool will automatically link your code with the engine code, all you have to do is #include the headers you need to access UE4 functionality.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...cts/index.html
              Straight from the documentation:
              Unreal Engine uses a custom building method via the UnrealBuildTool which handles all the complex aspects of compiling the project and linking it with the engine. This process occurs transparently allowing you to simply build the project through the standard Visual Studio build workflow.

Comment

My projects are saved in my disk D:...

Had same issue , about the .h files couldnt open and everything .

So , i closed the Editor , and left visual studio opened, Rebuild the project with no success, and then i "Debug'ed" and editor came up , i looked into my code and no erros anymore...

Comment

Working...
                X