No announcement yet.

Why C++ for Unreal 4?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ITT: all the people who can't make the small mental leap between blueprints and C++ and so feel both systems should be abandoned.

Comment

Hope to be able to replace blueprint with python

Comment

And there it is.

Comment

Oh bloody hell not again...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	threadnecro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1116551

I've been programming for over two decades in just about every language created since the mid-80's (starting with GW-BASIC), and there are a lot of good ones out there.
            If someone wanted a quick little business application with a GUI, I'd probably have VB, C# or Java as my first choice.
            But if I were given the choice to code a game/engine/core in either C++ or any other language, I'd likely choose C++.
            End of story.

These language threads always end the same way, so could a moderator please lock this one?

Comment

This is spot on! Comp Sci Major, graduating this year, C++ is great, iv taken courses in it but those pointer errors are frustrating even for the professors that are teaching the courses. Personally i love java with all my heart, but java is NOT for gaming and i agree that C++ has its problems but it is the clear choice for now. HOWEVER i don't believe that it will be the game Development language of choice for professionals for too long. Java will never be a gaming language(except for strategy and some RPG, examples minecraft(original) and runescape(RS2)) that demand graphics. With in the next few unreal engines they might want to consider a newer, more powerful language that was built Object Oriented, and is very similar to the current OO languages syntactically. The only language i could think of that meets these parameters currently is a potential revision of C++ to C++17, or D. The revision of C++17 would have to be MAJOR to be more effective than D, but the C++17 would just have to come close to D, The reason why Java is so popular is because everyone knows it(a little). Just like most people knows C++(a little at least). almost no one(including me, so far) knows D inside and out, or at lease no one in my programming community being teachers, students, etc.

Back to my main point, you nailed it! D would be great but will never happen because the knowledge demand( teachers that know it enough to teach it) doesn't exist on a large enough scale like C++ does. That is what it comes down to. Java is 25 years old, c++ is ageless probe 30 years, D is only 8 years old. Maybe in a perfect world we could see D in 10 years but even that is a stretch looking at history.

Comment

Originally posted by malexry View Post
                Back to my main point, you nailed it! D would be great but will never happen because the knowledge demand( teachers that know it enough to teach it) doesn't exist on a large enough scale like C++ does. That is what it comes down to. Java is 25 years old, c++ is ageless probe 30 years, D is only 8 years old. Maybe in a perfect world we could see D in 10 years but even that is a stretch looking at history.
                There's 2 facets here, code for designing games and then the core game-engine code...
                In the next 10 years my guess is C++ will still be the de-facto engine language for UE4.

But as regards code for designing games, a lot could happen and probably will for sure.

Between UE4's editors and SkookumScript etc, we still need many more high level tools.
                Plus, Game AI may merge with real-world AI and hold promise or hype... Take your pick...

Comment

Working...
                X