Why C++ for Unreal 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smallB View Post
    Because C++ gives me level of abstraction not available in assembler.
    Why do you need abstraction? Is it convenient? Is it easier to work with? Do you find the tradeoff in performance worth it?

Did you really write this not thinking "I just completely obliterated my own argument of performance trumps all"?

Now you tell me something:
    1. How do you explain fact that C# as a language is virtually non-portable and yet you don't see it as a problem?
    C# as a language is fully portable. It runs wherever the .net framework runs. This is purely an issue with Microsoft having no interest in .net running outside of Windows machines and has nothing whatsoever to do with C# as a language.

Comment

Originally posted by Gigantoad View Post
      C# as a language is fully portable. It runs wherever the .net framework runs. This is purely an issue with Microsoft having no interest in .net running outside of Windows machines and has nothing whatsoever to do with C# as a language.
      Ridiculous
      https://canerozdemirportfolio.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by caner_ozdemir View Post
        Ridiculous
        Maybe you can explain why? I'm always ready to be educated. As far as I know, one of the ideas behind the CLR (or the JVM for Java) was that it could run on any platform where such a virtual machine is installed. It is indeed how Java achieves platform-independence. The concept for C# is exactly the same really, except that Microsoft has a different agenda like I mentioned and likes to promote language-independance rather than platform independance. But the underlying technology is the same. Both produce bytecode, hence what Java or C# produce respectively is always the same no matter the platform.

Hence I consider the statement "C# as a language is virtually non-portable" as wrong. It has nothing to with the language. Granted, maybe I'm just in semantics territory.

Comment

Originally posted by Gigantoad View Post
          Maybe you can explain why? I'm always ready to be educated. As far as I know, one of the ideas behind the CLR (or the JVM for Java) was that it could run on any platform where such a virtual machine is installed. It is indeed how Java achieves platform-independence. The concept for C# is exactly the same really, except that Microsoft has a different agenda like I mentioned and likes to promote language-independance rather than platform independance. But the underlying technology is the same. Both produce bytecode, hence what Java or C# produce respectively is always the same no matter the platform.

Hence I consider the statement "C# as a language is virtually non-portable" as wrong. It has nothing to with the language. Granted, maybe I'm just in semantics territory.
          No one cares reasons.
          No one cares future capabilities.

C# is non portable.
          That is it.
          It is that simple.

Are you ready to be educated really ?
          Just type "C++ vs C# gaming" and read first 100 discussions maybe.

Comment

No one cares reasons.
            Are you ready to be educated really ?
            Just type "C++ vs C# gaming" and read first 100 discussions maybe.
            Yep, all these discussions are talking about what language to code a game from scratch, aka game engine, which nobody here disputes is C++. In case you hadn't noticed in the last 11 pages or so, it's also not what we're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by EruArnold View Post
              (Or perhaps this)
              If pro-C++ people here would be like that they would rether make there own engine using... C
              =========
              My Tutorials:
              Basic knowledge about Classes and UObject environment and stuff like that

Comment

Wow this thread is still going. I still recall making my comment a couple months ago on page 1

So, of some interest, Unity is now looking into IL2CPP. Some of my acquaintances have went to Unite and have interacted with studios working on professional projects. One complaint I've heard is about Garbage Collection spikes which is of some concern. It doesn't help that Unity has been running on a deprecated version of Mono.

Comparing C# to C++ is a super complicated topic because .NET C# and Mono C# are already too different things. Add Unity to the equation and we are talking bout a deprecated version of Mono until IL2CPP sees the light of day.

[edit] Don't you guys think it is interesting Unity themselves are looking to generate C++ code instead of C#? Granted, this has more to do with their licensing issues with Mono then anything else.
                Last edited by sandboxgod; 09-07-2014, 10:02 PM.
                Godz for UT '99 / UT 2003

Comment

C# is non portable.
                  That is it.
                  It is that simple.
                  I'm sure the Mono and Xamarin people are devastated to learn that what they're doing is impossible.

Comment

Sorry guys - last one before I leave...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10940[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10938[/ATTACH]

Hmmm....

(Just had to....)
                    Which part you don't understand?

Comment

Originally posted by The_E View Post
                      I'm sure the Mono and Xamarin people are devastated to learn that what they're doing is impossible.

Mono is over.
                      Last edited by caner_ozdemir; 09-08-2014, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Mono is over.
                        Really? That's quite astonishing news, given that the latest Mono release was on September 4th.

Comment

Which part you don't understand?
                          The par I quoted you in that reply, about C# being somehow "less portable" then C++, given that Unity supports many more platforms than UE4 does...
                          You see the contradiction?
                          Your view is that C# can't run in other platforms.
                          Reality shows that it runs on more platforms than your beloved C++ engine does...

Comment

The par I quoted you in that reply, about C# being somehow "less portable" then C++, given that Unity supports many more platforms than UE4 does...
                            You see the contradiction?
                            Your view is that C# can't run in other platforms.
                            Reality shows that it runs on more platforms than your beloved C++ engine does...
                            You really don't understand the point. The point being not to which platform you can deploy your game but on which platform you can run your engine.
                            Let me shout it to you:
                            C# IS NOT PORTABLE!!! GET IT!!!

Comment

You really don't understand the point. The point being not to which platform you can deploy your game but on which platform you can run your engine.
                              Let me shout it to you:
                              C# IS NOT PORTABLE!!! GET IT!!!
                              Are you using some weird definition of "portable" that the rest of us is unaware of? I mean, usually it's defined as "can be run on multiple platforms", something that C# code can do due to the valiant efforts of Mono.

Comment

Originally posted by The_E View Post
                                Are you using some weird definition of "portable" that the rest of us is unaware of? I mean, usually it's defined as "can be run on multiple platforms", something that C# code can do due to the valiant efforts of Mono.
                                And the results are very, very unsatisfactory with regards to performance. I already mentioned that in one of my previous posts.

And yes, from the discussion I am having with you and "the rest of guys like you" I see that you are unaware of many, many things.

Comment

Working...
                                X