Why C++ for Unreal 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VegasRich View Post
    Qt is an IDE? Awesome! Where can I get it?

That was a joke.

"These tools are better than that thing built with other tools" is a strange statement. I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment that VS would have better performance if it had been built with Qt instead of the .NET Framework. I'm objecting to the weird statement used to express this sentiment.
    He meant Qt Creator - it is an IDE.

Comment

Just chiming in, Visual Assist makes VS Pro work like a beaut with UE4. Coding with ease now

Comment

Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post
        Just chiming in, Visual Assist makes VS Pro work like a beaut with UE4. Coding with ease now
        +1 for visual assist. Can't believe there was a time I was not using it.
        FluidSurface Plugin: https://github.com/Ehamloptiran/UnrealEngine/releases
        TextureMovie Plugin: https://github.com/Ehamloptiran/TextureMoviePlugin

Comment

Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post
          Originally posted by Ehamloptiran View Post
          +1 for visual assist. Can't believe there was a time I was not using it.
          Yes, but can you use that with Express? Visual Studio acting weird with UE4 is one of the reasons I've been sticking to Blueprints even though I'm (reasonably) comfortable in C++.

Comment

Originally posted by Veovis Muad'dib View Post
            Yes, but can you use that with Express? Visual Studio acting weird with UE4 is one of the reasons I've been sticking to Blueprints even though I'm (reasonably) comfortable in C++.
            You can't I'm afraid, but VS Pro is quite cheap now. Or if you're a student you can get it for free through Dreamspark?

Comment

Originally posted by DancingPeasant View Post
              I think it is amusing how some are bashing C#, considering how languages just like it (and Java) were invented for the very reason to illeviate the headaches of C++. Producitivity is worth more than performance - even Tim Sweeney himself has said so.
              C# is not productive language, its much harder than C++ and uglier for complicated programs. Just because C++ has handsome macro system.

Comment

Originally posted by newbprofi View Post
                C# is not productive language, its much harder than C++ and uglier for complicated programs. Just because C++ has handsome macro system.
                macroses in c++ can lead to undefined behaviour

Comment

Originally posted by wsf View Post
                  macroses in c++ can lead to undefined behaviour
                  +200 for this - templates, not macros! I HATE macros. I can't even count the times that some jack *** used a macro and didn't add a brace, or some other little bull **** thing and it lead to hours of debugging hell. Macros are a HACK. If you understand C++ then you will never need them. Probably the only thing I don't really care for in UE4 - the boilerplate macros. This could be templatized.

I work in C#, C++, Lua, Java, or whatever gets the job done fastest. Any language is only as productive as the coder using it - if you're unproductive then you're unproductive. Understand: the problem is YOU. If you're not familiar with the language, you should probably solve the problem in one you are familiar with.

There are differences in run-time performance, but for most applications it isn't as important as you would think. As long as you're not computing a SHA-1 hash of a 32 gigabyte file every frame in Lua you should be okay.

Smart coders are productive - the rest cry about problems with the language.

Comment

Originally posted by smallB View Post
                    Any chance to actually support this with some reliable data? Because I know for a fact and I've provided link to research done by Google, that Java is at best 370% slower than C++ and at worse 1260%. Why would I want that?
                    Because in all probability you're not doing anything that needs that kind of speed.

Games in Unity usually use C# (or UnityScript, or Boo) for their game logic, and last I checked, they don't exactly run at a snail's pace on my machine.
                    Last edited by furrykef; 08-30-2014, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by furrykef View Post
                      Because in all probability you're not doing anything that needs that kind of speed.

Games in Unity usually use C# (or UnityScript, or Boo) for their game logic, and last I checked, they don't exactly run at a snail's pace on my machine.
                      If I have option a - run 200% faster (at least) and option b - run 200% slower (at best), I use option a - every time.

C# doesn't give you anything, takes virtually everything from you. Why would I want that?

And people who say, hey I don't need 200% performance increase (at least), and I am happy with my slo-mo creature (be it java, javascript, lua, c# or other unmentionables)? To me they are exactly the same type of people who drive opel corsa (or similar) and when they see someone driving Ferrari they say: hey I don't need that speed, why would I want that if my opel corsa gets the job done and moves me from A to B? Yeah, sure...

Comment

If I have option a - run 200% faster (at least) and option b - run 200% slower (at best), I use option a - every time.

C# doesn't give you anything, takes virtually everything from you. Why would I want that?

And people who say, hey I don't need 200% performance increase (at least), and I am happy with my slo-mo creature (be it java, javascript, lua, c# or other unmentionables)? To me they are exactly the same type of people who drive opel corsa (or similar) and when they see someone driving Ferrari they say: hey I don't need that speed, why would I want that if my opel corsa gets the job done and moves me from A to B? Yeah, sure...
                        So show us how much performance your game gains by coding that opening door script in C++. You know, if what you say made sense then there would be absolutely no place for blueprints. Do you refuse to use blueprints too?

That Ferrari analogy actually works kind of against you. Nobody ever needs the speed of a Ferrari. It's purely luxury and status symbol. The only exception to this is if you were a race driver, but then you wouldn't buy a shiny stock Ferrari but some uncomfortable and quite possibly ugly race car.

Comment

Originally posted by Gigantoad View Post
                          Nobody ever needs the speed of a Ferrari.
                          ^^^ Said Ford Fiesta driver...

Yeah, right...

Comment

^^^ Said Ford Fiesta driver...

Yeah, right...
                            Are you being serious? Perhaps you don't know the difference between need and want? Do I want a Ferrari? Absolutely. Do I need it, of course not.

It seems to me your need for performance is based on some old school macho world view rather than reason or experience. We are also not talking about entertainment for the programmer. You can't drive a game engine for fun. It's a tool to create games and such there are many more considerations, such as productivity, usability and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Gigantoad View Post
                              Are you being serious? Perhaps you don't know the difference between need and want? Do I want a Ferrari? Absolutely. Do I need it, of course not.

It seems to me your need for performance is based on some old school macho world view rather than reason or experience. We are also not talking about entertainment for the programmer. You can't drive a game engine for fun. It's a tool to create games and such there are many more considerations, such as productivity, usability and so on.
                              I not only want best possible performance. I need that too. And I'm getting it with C++.

What do you mean that you don't need best possible performance? I simply cannot agree with this.

We are talking about best possible user experience. Games need best possible performance not just "good enough". C++ provides it. C# does not. It is as simple as that.

Productivity is either identical or better with C++ when you start to either create large code base or use it.
                              Usability - same.
                              "So on" category? You simply cannot beat C++ in any field really:

Performance - unmatched
                              Portability - yes, whilst with C# you get either no or yes, but with very poor results
                              Level of abstraction - identical to C#
                              and so on and so on and so on.

Stop fooling yourself. No, seriously, stop.

If you aiming at creating best possible game, you need to get best possible tool not just good enough. C++ is the best possible. C# is not good enough if you are interested in perfection. If you are interested in mediocrity then sure, choose mediocre tool and create mediocre product.

You know, analogies go only so far, and there is no perfect analogy, but, continuing with C++ being Ferrari and C# (and other slo-mo creatures) being ford fiesta, you behave like this guy:
                              Someone offers him Ferrari for really cheap installments (E20 or S20 if in USA) and what this guy does? He starts complaining. Why? Because learning how to drive fiesta is so much easier than learning to drive Ferrari and guy is simply either too lazy or incapable of doing so.
                              He starts pointing "faults":
                              Driving Ferrari is so dangerous you know guys, it is going so, so fast that you can really hurt yourself you know... And, and, if you not careful... if you not careful then... then you can really hurt yourself... yourself and others too, you know guys, compare this with fiesta and the choice is obvious guys, fiesta, good, safe(ish), no trills and no frills but gets you from A to B so why would I need Ferrari for that?! Give me fiesta, for the same price of course. Not only that guys... my mom told me that Ferrari is so, so much macho car and so, so not sexy anymore that there is simply no need or point in driving it. My aunt on the other hand is convinced that if you can drive your fiesta from her house to the grocery shop and back that is all what you really need from a "motor vehicle". And she is best my aunt... she is so calm and she wears glasses, really nice glasses, and she talks so slowly, and walks too. She is really nice my aunt. So surely fiesta is better than this flashy Ferrari... Surely guys...
                              Guys...?

Yep, right... got ya!
                              Last edited by smallB; 08-30-2014, 02:17 PM.

Comment

What was the reason for keeping this cesspool of a thread open again?

If you take the question at face value, it was answered on page one by Tim Sweeney, and I don't know of anyone more qualified to answer that specific question.

If you take the question as "Why don't I have x or y language" then that has also been covered, there are Blueprints and a Lua plugin, others are working on everything from C# to proprietary languages to Javascript.

Comment

Working...
                                X