Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by wired00 View Post
    Wow this helped for me instantly. I can now finally use TAB to auto complete and the intellisense menu pops up instantly. VAST improvement. I'll see how it goes before trying Visual Assist
    This seems to have helped me as well! Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    VS intellisense is really slow and bugged, agree. So, instead of using "Find References", i am using the following:

1) Shift+Ctrl+F and search in Current Project, match whole word.
    2) I am mostly using "Class View" for searching types and functons declarations/implementations, because intellisense F12 always cant find implementations, only declarations.
    3) Sometimes if absolutely nessesary i am using VisualAssist->Find References.

PS: now i am installing CTP1, hope this will help a little, at least i hope there will not be long rescan every hour.

UPD: i installed CTP1, it did not improve intellisense find references and F12, but "prescan" and "rescan" seams really cool, after install i had long "initial prescan", but after reopenning project it doesnt rescan, thats cool, i think there will not be "per hour" rescan too, thats perfect, that was really annoying.
    Last edited by newbprofi; 09-18-2014, 05:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Farshad12 View Post
    There's probably something wrong with your installation, because I'm using VAX without an issue with 2013.3, the intellisense also haven't come back (That shameful feature should even be disabled by default for C++ IMO)

Thank god for guys at Whole Tomato, because using only VS I personally would become crazy in a matter of days when working with big C++ code bases like UE4.
    Best 100 bucks I've spent in a long long time!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's not installation issue. I got the same issue on 3 different machines. That annoying "please wait while intellisense and browsing information are updated" pops up and blocks IDE completely even if Intellisense is off.
    Everything was fine on 2013.1, there was something similar on 2013.2 on one of the machines once but never came back after reinstall.
    I hope 2013.4 will fix it, I didn't try CTP1 yet though.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There's probably something wrong with your installation, because I'm using VAX without an issue with 2013.3, the intellisense also haven't come back (That shameful feature should even be disabled by default for C++ IMO)

Thank god for guys at Whole Tomato, because using only VS I personally would become crazy in a matter of days when working with big C++ code bases like UE4.
    Last edited by EliteIman; 09-16-2014, 03:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    VAX is great. But it doesn't help after VS2013.3 which seems to be broken.
    I disabled Intellisense completely but it still pops up randomly when I change my class and hangs forever. Seems like it doesn't even give a **** about me disabling it.

Screw you, MS. I guess I stay on 2013.2

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by timconwell View Post
    Hmm, curious of upgrading to a solid state disk would help? Is this an issue of inefficiency with VS, then maybe I can overcome it with brute force. Been eyeing an SSD upgrade anyway for a number of reasons, and not that I've completely tossed the idea of getting VAX, if it's all the same investment I'd rather put that into a new drive. Maybe by speeding up file and page file access this issue could be minimized.

Anyone running on a solid state drive having the same kind of intellisense issues? Maybe SSD users and loads of RAM are wondering why people are fussing over intellisense?
    Using SSD for both executables + code, and 16 GB RAM. Theory disproven.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by byte3 View Post
    Yep. Same issues. I got everything on my SSD + 20GB Ram... just 5 minutes ago Visual Studio / Intellisense ran out of memory.
    Ahh, nuts. Well, appreciate the confirmation.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by timconwell View Post
    Anyone running on a solid state drive having the same kind of intellisense issues? Maybe SSD users and loads of RAM are wondering why people are fussing over intellisense?
    Yep. Same issues. I got everything on my SSD + 20GB Ram... just 5 minutes ago Visual Studio / Intellisense ran out of memory.

I bought VAX about one month ago. Its a huge improvement.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TDoro View Post
    VAX is nice, but "Supported Microsoft IDEs* .... *Express Editions not supported".
    I'm luckily at UNI doing a post-grad so get access to microsoft dreamspark and all their products

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by dmacesic View Post
    My major issue is that Intellisense spawns several "vcpkgsrv.exe" processes that are about 1 GB in size each. With 2 VS instances open, my 16 GB RAM gets eaten up in no time.
    Hmm, curious of upgrading to a solid state disk would help? Is this an issue of inefficiency with VS, then maybe I can overcome it with brute force. Been eyeing an SSD upgrade anyway for a number of reasons, and not that I've completely tossed the idea of getting VAX, if it's all the same investment I'd rather put that into a new drive. Maybe by speeding up file and page file access this issue could be minimized.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    VAX is nice, but "Supported Microsoft IDEs* .... *Express Editions not supported".

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by wired00 View Post
    Wow this helped for me instantly. I can now finally use TAB to auto complete and the intellisense menu pops up instantly. VAST improvement. I'll see how it goes before trying Visual Assist
    Ok at first I thought this was working well but was still having problems. I went and got Visual Assist and it works well, however error highlighting is still extremely slow from visual studio where it underlines in red. Is there a way to speed this up? I assume its part of the same problem

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Tossing in my vote for Visual Assist as well. Using the 30 day trial now and cringing when it expires. Even started using it at work... works excellently - too bad i'm not a student though...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Tossing a vote in here for VAX. It's an excellent piece of software. Once you figure out how it works it's even easier to use (e.g. if for some reason an entry is not in the autocomplete list, open the file that contains its declaration in VS and VAX will quickly parse it in - fixed!)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X