Understanding FRotationMatrix::MakeFromX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understanding FRotationMatrix::MakeFromX

I needed to rotate an object to the player and I looked at the blueprint code from the Blueprint office because I remembered that they had those info tables. It uses MakeFromX to rotate an object always to the player.

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...lMath.cpp#L339

I am not sure if I understand the math behind it. I give it a vector that goes from the object to the player and it calculates a rotation matrix that rotates the object to the player.

But all it does is really creating two orthonormal vectors from the object-to-player vector and puts it in a matrix. How can that be the correct rotation? And it also seems to rotate around the Z and Y axis.

I hope someone can enlighten me.

Okay I think I understand the math behind it. If you write the vectors in the rows it is the same as the dot product for every vector.

Comment

I am not 100% sure but I think it creates a matrix that describes an orthonormal basis in 3d-space where the provided vector is the X-Axis.

Comment

You might also want to look at functions like FRotationMatrix::MakeFromXZ. That will point X (forward) in the direction you want, and Z (up) will be changed as much as needed to be orthogonal to X. That way you can specify which direction to try and keep 'upright' in your rotation.
        Lead Programmer - UE4 Animation/Physics/Audio Team - Epic Games
        Twitter: @EpicJamesG

Comment

thats very good to know. thx James

Comment

Working...
          X