Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I created a New C++ Module tool

Hello.

I've created a tool for creating new C++ modules. The plug-in adds a new entry to the File menu and opens the window you can see below.

The tool automatically generates all needed files, updates your .uproject files, and regenerates your Visual Studio solution. I found myself doing all these steps so often in my own projects that I got fed up and wrote a tool to automate it. I share it here in hopes it will be useful to you. I also intend on releasing this on the Marketplace for free to facilitate installation.

The tool can be cloned / downloaded from this Git repository.
    You can get the tool on the Unreal Marketplace for free.
    For those left wondering what a C++ module is: here's a documentation link .

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.png Views:	75 Size:	136.7 KB ID:	1764991

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.png Views:	91 Size:	33.6 KB ID:	1764990
    Last edited by Dominik Peacock; 05-29-2020, 05:16 AM.

Good work! How long did this take you to make?

View my completely free YouTube UE4 C++ Videos: Click here
    Create a C++ Survival Game with me: Click here

Comment

Originally posted by Reuben Ward View Post
      Good work! How long did this take you to make?
      Thanks! It took me roughly 3 full working days.

Most time I spent learning Unreal's editor APIs; its systems I have never worked with before since I usually do game development.
      There was a bunch of stuff:
      • This resource helped for getting the menu extension in.
      • I looked similar modules, such as AddCodeToProject (Visual Studio ctrl + t was so useful)
      • I had to learn scripted UMG using C++, SNew() and so on, for creating the window
      • I needed to figure out the somewhat complicated JSON API for updating the .uproject file
      • Regenerating the Visual Studio solution was really simple: I found this in the module implementing "Add new C++ class"
      Last edited by Dominik Peacock; 05-22-2020, 06:10 AM.

Comment

I've fixed a generation bug on the Git repository. If the tool was causing you compiler errors that should now be fixed.

I've also submitted the plug-in to review for the Marketplace.

Comment

The tool is now on the Unreal Marketplace. You can now easily install the plug-in to the Engine.

Comment

Working...
          X